Find
Notify
Tools

Alberta Outfitter Convicted
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does "possession of a carcass belonging to another bird without proper tags" mean?

Posts: 11905 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
See the Game bird regs. Specifically rules Game Bird 1,9,10

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested to know whether this outfitter is o/w known as honest. These stories can be made to look far more sinister than the reality involved. The federal guy in an area we hunt locally is an overzealous asshole that seems to revel in harassing people for no reason. He busted a bud's balls one time in a 30 minute rant and threat for "wanton waste" saying he didn't put in enough effort to find a duck....and then said he was just kidding to make sure he knew how serious he is about laws. We've joked many times that it's amazing he hasn't been found belly up in a ditch somewhere.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI....I've become extremely jaded in terms of listening to ANYTHING reported in the "news" anymore. The media cares nothing about accuracy and like I mentioned above are happy to make anything and everything look sinister if it fits their agenda.

For example, almost any one of us on here could be the victim of the following headline: "Local man found in possession of over 20 firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition in his home." Of course no mention will be made that they're for multiple types of hunting and cases of ammo for waterfowl and small game hunters is the norm.

Rant over....sorry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And don't forget "High-Power Rifle".

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me there has been a few charges in the recent past. One of the Garrett brothers outfitting. Another one that included 2 guides and an outfitter down in Southern Ab. Is poaching amongst "their" kind getting more popular?

Edit
After a quick google search the numbers are shockingly high. Some names that come up.
Garrett
Brown
Shmyr
Cassidy
Bunnage
Cahoon
Federovich
David
McMahon

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cassidy is a local guy. Convicted several years ago, he is still rumoured to be an active poacher. None of the landowners around us trust him.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But people still continue to hunt with those charged, convicted or that still continue to break
laws pertaining to wildlife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Just an FYI....I've become extremely jaded in terms of listening to ANYTHING reported in the "news" anymore. The media cares nothing about accuracy and like I mentioned above are happy to make anything and everything look sinister if it fits their agenda.

For example, almost any one of us on here could be the victim of the following headline: "Local man found in possession of over 20 firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition in his home." Of course no mention will be made that they're for multiple types of hunting and cases of ammo for waterfowl and small game hunters is the norm.

Rant over....sorry.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca...wthread.php?t=370840

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1575 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

Rant over....sorry.

Grizz

Thanks for posting the link. Reading specific details is far more enlightening than reading what he was convicted of.

I was going to book with him at some point. That doesn’t seem like a real good idea now.

Posts: 11905 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:

Grizz

Thanks grizz.....the unrepentant pos deserves everything the court throws at him and more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the same poster here that goes by nube. Reading some AB forums it seems things are a mess up there with the APOS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the same poster here that goes by nube. Reading some AB forums it seems things are a mess up there with the APOS.

Same guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...sIxMe4Z9gd0GhtNDwz9Q

Kind of Curious as to why you posted this up here are you against this kind of behaviour

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sage:
quote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...sIxMe4Z9gd0GhtNDwz9Q

Kind of Curious as to why you posted this up here are you against this kind of behaviour

It's been kind of big news here in Alberta so I posted some news! Am I against poaching....yes Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
It looked like he was doing very well as a waterfowl outfitter and in the off season going on big money exotic hunts. He now has lost his business and certainly his reputation is in tatters .. not sure why an outfitter would jeopardize all of that ??? Pity.

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread got me to do some research.
Found an interesting post from a few years ago.gunslinger is Pat Garrett.
Also, interesting is who these guys have guided or worked for in the past.

gunslinger
03-16-2009, 06:31 AM
So... just for the sake of argument, would you hunt with Bryan Martin?

Wouldn't those people, aspiring to some day hunt in B.C. or looking to book an outfitted hunt, be better off knowing what crooks to avoid in the process?

Aren't the people of B.C. entitled to decent and ethical management of their game animals, as well as lawfullness and transparency in the outfitting industry?

nope i wouldnt hunt with him,

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chin-gas-cook:

gunslinger

Wouldn't those people, aspiring to some day hunt in B.C. or looking to book an outfitted hunt, be better off knowing what crooks to avoid in the process?

Aren't the people of B.C. entitled to decent and ethical management of their game animals, as well as lawfullness and transparency in the outfitting industry?

Sadly most don't care like I said in a previous post people still hunt with those people and outfitters that have been charged with wildlife violations, heck even the OP of this thread has
in a little while all will have forgot about nube as well.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just reminded of Asian mountain outfitters. Bryan Martin.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe he was convicted in 2006 and again in 2007???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chin-gas-cook:

gunslinger

As you can see, this post was from 2009. After Bryan Martin was convicted. In 2013 gunslinger and sheephunterab booked a hunt with Martin and were successful as can be seen on the Asianmountain outfitting web site. It doesn’t take much research. All this info is on this site. LOFL. HYPOCRITS!

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timely edit. Guessing you didn’t want to be caught lying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
A bit more info from
Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement
3 hrs ·

On October 12, 2018, Fish and Wildlife received a public complaint regarding illegal hunting activities North of Ponoka, Alberta. The individual told officers that Philip CAHOON, a waterfowl outfitter with Mud Lake Waterfowl Adventures, was guiding 8 waterfowl non-resident hunters from the United States. Upon investigation, officers determined 64 ducks were harvested at a water body and only 8 were retrieved. The group did not make a reasonable effort to retrieve the migratory birds from the water.

The investigation led officers to CAHOON’s hunting lodge, where they found a total of 171 whole ducks and 15 whole geese without required tags on their carcasses. Hunters and the other waterfowl guides at the lodge stated that they had brought up the requirement to tag harvested birds to CAHOON on several occasions, but did not see him place any of the required tags on any of the game birds since their arrival in early September. In Alberta, there is a daily limit of eight ducks, and a possession limit of 24 ducks. Due to the birds not being tagged with the hunters’ required information, CAHOON was found in unlawful possession.

Through further investigation, officers also determined that CAHOON provided guiding services on privately held land without permission from the landowner; instructed a youth hunter to shoot a game bird from a vehicle on a road, and that he sent 6 wolves, 2 lynx, 1 fisher, 2 marten, and 2 foxes to two individuals in Eagle Pass, Texas without obtaining export permits.

On October 11, 2019, CAHOON plead guilty to 8 charges under the Wildlife Act and Migratory Birds Regulations. The courts gave him a total fine of $25,000, a ten year prohibition from providing guiding services for ten years, and a two year ban from holding a recreational hunting licence or accompanying or assisting anyone in hunting for two years.

Unlawful hunts by professional outfitter-guides have a negative impact on the reputation of the legitimate outfitting industry in Alberta. Outfitter-guides hold a heightened responsibility as professionals to ensure the hunts they conduct are lawful.

It is our hope that these significant fines serve as a strong deterrent to any would-be poachers. Anyone with information about any wildlife or fishery violation is encouraged to call the 24-hour Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800, or online at the following link: https://www.alberta.ca/report-poacher.aspx. Callers can remain anonymous and could qualify for a reward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sheephunterab
one of us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Sep 17, 10:59 AM Hide Post
Hunt: Tur in Azerbaijan
Dates: Sept 5-11, 2013
Outfitter: Bryan Martin, Asian Mountain Outfitters
Gear: RMR 270WSM, 130 grain GMX, Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with Rapid Z 800

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it strange for heard Cahoon was able to keep his trapping license yet he sold furs with out the proper paper work. He definitely shows that he has no regard for wildlife or the laws for them. He should of been banned from any wildlife outdoor activities period.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it strange for heard Cahoon was able to keep his trapping license yet he sold furs with out the proper paper work. He definitely shows that he has no regard for wildlife or the laws for them. He should of been banned from any wildlife outdoor activities period.

It did seem strange for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Outfitter-guides hold a heightened responsibility as professionals to ensure the hunts they conduct are lawful."

This made me choke on my coffee....

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walking buffalo:
"Outfitter-guides hold a heightened responsibility as professionals to ensure the hunts they conduct are lawful."

This made me choke on my coffee....

With APOS, that's the Mafia calling for crime control. Smiler

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1575 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If there is money to be made.

It really does not matter what the activity is.

Criminals will find away to take advantage of a situation to put more money in their pockets.

Posts: 19306 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
If there is money to be made.

It really does not matter what the activity is.

Criminals will find away to take advantage of a situation to put more money in their pockets.

And sadly people will keep using there services if it helps them get what they want. If your concerned about poaching and illegal activity then don't use or support guide/outfitters that
have been charged in the past.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
The judge kind of took care of that issue with the 10-year outfitting suspension.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The judge kind of took care of that issue with the 10-year outfitting suspension.

Not just talking about him plenty of guide/outfitters out there that people continue to use that have had charges against them.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not just talking about him plenty of guide/outfitters out there that people continue to use that have had charges against them.

Well perhaps the sentence in this case will become a precedent for future cases. One can hope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well perhaps the sentence in this case will become a precedent for future cases. One can hope.

Yes one can hope wildlife and the illegal killing of it will start becoming more important.
and those that illegally kill it and abuse it will get larger fines and penalties life time bans from hunting/guiding
Heck some names that come to mind that got off to easy besides Cahoon, are Garret, Watson, and Martin, been charged but still out
there making money off wildlife.