Find
Notify
Tools

Kootenay Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David_B
posted
Did anyone hunt the Kootenay for elk in 2019 that can provide feedback? I would like to plan a rut hunt with my two nephews during 2020, however during my research I read that the southern Kootenay elk population has taken a huge hit over the last ten years and been reduced by almost 50%. All hunter and outfitter feedback appreciated.

Posts: 62 | Location: VA | Registered: 04 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which outfitter are you planning on hunting with may help a bit to narrow down the area.
Yes numbers are down but some areas worse then others, sadly a few outfitting areas would not bother booking a elk hunt in for a while.

One of Us
Picture of David_B
posted Hide Post
I haven't decided on an outfitter or even spoken with any at this point, but three I have looked at are Ram Creek, Baldy Mountain, and Rocky Mtn High. Has the northern peace region been hit hard as well?

Posts: 62 | Location: VA | Registered: 04 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't no much on the peace region other then storys and they seem to be down as well.
The 3 you mention all seem to have a fairly good reputation but again sadly numbers will be down.
Have hunted in a few of there areas mainly RMHs area and it use to be good but is nothing compared to what it use to be.
Sorry for the bad news.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta may have a couple areas that could be better, depending on what kind of bull your looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In our area, 50% may be somewhat conservative. Population is down a lot. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote