THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Newfoundland sat phone recommendations?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newfoundland sat phone recommendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Evening, guys.

Any recommendations for satellite phone rentals (service provider) for Newfoundland? Looking for something to keep in touch with my (pregnant) wife while I'm up there, as the outfitter's telling me there won't be any cell service at the lake (Rock Ridge Pond).

Posts: 1416 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s not a sat phone, but the Delorme/Garmin Inreach is a sat texter, among other capabilities. Used one myself for many years. I don’t know typical sat phone rental fees, so I don’t know which one you’d be better off with.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rentals are the way to go for occassional use buy the 30 minute package if you just need to check-in. I've owned and rented Sat phones for many years as I traveled an a simple Google will reveal several options.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I've looked at the rental options in terms of pricing. I'm more looking for recs on which network will be the most reliable in the area if needed.

I have an inReach already which I plan to activate and use the texting for regular day to day contact.

My concern is being able to physically speak to her/her doctor if something happens. Pregnancy has been uneventful thusfar, but she ruptured an ectopic back in April with the last and literally almost died.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a SpotX for similar situations. Worked Ok in the Yukon.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1575 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On wo of our three trips to Newfoundland we rented a sat phone from Andy Cool at Explorer Satellite Communications, both worked fine in Texas and have worked perfectly in Africa but neither worked at all in Newfoundland. I guess it had something to do with the angle of the satellites. This was 6 or 7 years ago, so maybe there are more satellites. You might try this company, theywere good to deal with.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2720 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to your outfitter. He might have a sat phone already there to use.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think Inmarsat is the only one with worldwide coverage.

Check on their website for this, and get recommendations from the rental companies.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66718 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66718 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
On wo of our three trips to Newfoundland we rented a sat phone from Andy Cool at Explorer Satellite Communications, both worked fine in Texas and have worked perfectly in Africa but neither worked at all in Newfoundland. I guess it had something to do with the angle of the satellites. This was 6 or 7 years ago, so maybe there are more satellites. You might try this company, theywere good to deal with.

iridium was the answer. as off today where i live completely the opposite of newfoundland immarsat and the other opponent globalstar are not working properly here. iridium is the only answer for us.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rented a Sat phone last Fall for a Newfoundland trip, could not get it to work.

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camdog:
I rented a Sat phone last Fall for a Newfoundland trip, could not get it to work.

Which carrier?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntfish1963:
Talk to your outfitter. He might have a sat phone already there to use.

Waiting to hear back from him now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you ever want to confuse the hell out of AT&T, call and ask them their policy on charges for receiving incoming satellite phone calls. I went through 6 customer service reps/managers and still didn't get a solid answer. Anyone know? I'm trying to sort out whether we will get whacked international rates on our cell phone if I call my wife from a satellite phone.