THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Newfoundland moose recommendations

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newfoundland moose recommendations
 Login/Join

posted
Looking at booking my first out of state hunt. Always wanted to hunt moose and am looking at Newfoundland. Looking at Westwoods Outfitters right now. Anyone have any experience with them, or any other outfitters in the area?
Not necessarily looking for a trophy hunt, just a good fair chase hunt.

Thanks
Eric

Posts: 2 | Location: Floresville,Texas | Registered: 31 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I just got back last week from a combination Caribou/Moose hunt with Caribou Pond Outfitters out of Gander, NL.

My priority was Caribou, but the moose and caribou are in the same areas, so you can see either one at any time, anywhere.

I saw 3 bull moose and 4 cows, all in shootable situations, except the largest bull that was a mile or two outside our moose area. I was hoping for a trophy bull, so I didn't take a shot.

My guide and I worked hard daylight to dark for 5 1/2 days without seeing a bull moose that I wanted or any caribou. That's the chances you take in trophy hunting.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Mark Young he has a good outfitter in Newfoundland and he has a hunt report posted.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not recommend Iron Bound Outfitters.

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Camdog, please tell. I had this outfit on my list. I'd appreciate any advice you can share.

Posts: 161 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is this:

-Outfitter kept my meat.
-Had to work through a third party taxidermist to get my antlers. No help from the outfitter.
-The outfitter was to fly us is and out. Because bad weather was coming in we had to get a third party copter come in and get us for $1,800.00.

Is that enough?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camdog:
How is this:

-Outfitter kept my meat.
-Had to work through a third party taxidermist to get my antlers. No help from the outfitter.
-The outfitter was to fly us is and out. Because bad weather was coming in we had to get a third party copter come in and get us for $1,800.00.

Is that enough?

I'd be pissed too. Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camdog:
How is this:

-Outfitter kept my meat.
-The outfitter was to fly us in and out. Because bad weather was coming in we had to get a third party copter come in and get us for $1,800.00.

Is that enough?