Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Bear with Garrett Bros
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted

I took this nice boar with Garrett Bros of Ft McMurray, AB. Skull was 18-13/16, hide squared 6'4". First guides I ever saw who did not stretch the hide. They just laid it out and taped it.

They had great food, great equipment and were great people. I seldom recommend anyone or anything without reservation, but Garrett Bros has my vote. Camp was over 60% P&Y (>18"), and the smaller bears were mostly early kills that could have been passed.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yo Don!! Nice noggin on Yogi, and at 6'4" you'll have a nice rug to keep your toes warm.

Congratulations

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
That is a big bear! Congratulations

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
He didn't remind me of Yogi, much. Smiler

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Don, Nice bear. Thank you for the recomendation. It is good to hear AR members describe their experiences with the guide services.

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
slim,

I'm always ready to tell the truth. Not all outfitters like everything I have to say! Smiler

Don

Don_G

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Awesome b-bear Don!!! Congratulations!

I spent the weekend looking for a g-bear with Tim. No luck...still too early up high. I will forward this link to him so he can see your bear. tu2

Congrats again bud. A good warm-up for your hunts to come! Did you use your new BH, or is that massive overkill? Big Grin

Cheers
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
Did you use your new BH, or is that massive overkill? Big Grin

Found my answer over on the Bowhunting Forum. tu2 clap beer

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guided in that area 2 owners ago. It is a fantastic area with some monster bears. There is no resident pressure up near the Richardson river area they hunt and you can really pass up on some good bears looking for a real old brute. Pat does a great job with hi hunters as well. Glad you enjoyed a good Alberta hunt in some wild land that has not been seen by many.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Great looking bear...congrats. Pat is a buddy of mine and I suspect other than the great bear hunting, that the evening entertainment was just as good...lol That guy does live and love life to the fullest.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Yep, Pat, Brian and all the guides were died-in-the-wool hunters. It was a great time both on and off the stand.

I did use my Dauntless broadhead on him. It was no contest - through the bear and head deep in a stump.

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bear, Don and high praise for Garrett Bros.

I will pass this onto some friends who are looking for a BB hunt next Spring.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I don't think they can go wrong w/Pat and Brian Garrett. It's a suitable camp to take wives and daughters to, as well as sons.

Fishing had not started when I got there - tell them to ask about fishing during their time.

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don - was that the fly-in or river boat camp?

Congratulations on a super nice bear!!

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late response. It was the river boat camp. Since this hunt I've been lucky enough to get a Cape Buffalo and a Grizzly Bear with a bow.

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chin-gas-cook:
Interesting

Right! Myself and two friends went up to Ontario to hunt spring black bear a few years ago. on the flight up from Texas to Montreal, and having to change planes there collecting our bags and gun cases to go through inspection to board another plane to Thunder bay our gun cases had to be opened for inspection to check the guns were legal in Canada. I was in line behind one of my friends, with my other friend behind me. When we got through with the inspection, my friend, who had been behind me in the line, ask if I had heard what someone behind him had said?
when I answered no, he said the guy had said "These crazy USA people", that one had a double barreled shotgun with a SCOPE on it".

Big Grin It was a 450 double rifle with a low powered scope for shooting from a blind on bait in dark woods.
…...……...……….........…… jumping old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by chin-gas-cook:
Interesting

Right! Myself and two friends went up to Ontario to hunt spring black bear a few years ago. on the flight up from Texas to Montreal, and having to change planes there collecting our bags and gun cases to go through inspection to board another plane to Thunder bay our gun cases had to be opened for inspection to check the guns were legal in Canada. I was in line behind one of my friends, with my other friend behind me. When we got through with the inspection, my friend, who had been behind me in the line, ask if I had heard what someone behind him had said?
when I answered no, he said the guy had said "These crazy USA people", that one had a double barreled shotgun with a SCOPE on it".

Big Grin It was a 450 double rifle with a low powered scope for shooting from a blind on bait in dark woods.
…...……...……….........…… jumping old

He must have been a “Newfie”.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
This may be a shameless plug, but I wanted to bring this back to the top. The picture hosting is costing me $8/month and I will have to stop paying that soon, so read it now if interested in bow hunting Black Bear.

If anyone knows how to host the pics for free, please contact me.

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Use IMGUR; free picture hosting. No one uses PB, or the other hosts who charge money. Especially PB who used to be free and then started charging $500 a year or something. I quit using them.

Posts: 17035 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Agreed...I'm in the process of migrating as well. PB sucks.

Cheers
Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheers
Canuck

Ah, Canuck,

It is so nice to see you on these forums again. You are way too damn interesting to immerse yourself solely in work or whatever you may have been doing.

Cheers !

Scruffy

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
quote:

Cheers
Canuck

Ah, Canuck,

It is so nice to see you on these forums again. You are way too damn interesting to immerse yourself solely in work or whatever you may have been doing.

Cheers !

Scruffy

LOL...thanks Scruffy. It has been mainly work...and moves...and all kinds of "life stuff"...

Hope all is well with you my friend.

Cheers
Chris