New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitehorse
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just found out a few acquaintances are headed to Whitehorse the end of march for about a week. They have some things scheduled, but is there anything to do in Whitehorse that shouldn't be missed. They will have a bit of spare time.

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are they psychologists? We all could use some therapy after a long winter.
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, they are just curlers from the Island.
I guess they are psychologists... They all drown their sorrows in the lounge after the game.

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
The MacBride Museum is definitely worth a wander through. If they are really feeling adventurous a beer at the '98 will give them a good taste of the local culture!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Beringa Museum is ok. Kind of an old museum full of self important leftist inventist pseudo-make believe scientist.

Swag in the Yukon kind of sucks. Good luck finding a t-shirt, baseball cap or polo shirt that isn't of some 1980's weird design.

I love Whitehorse, if I could I move up there tomorrow.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, hotels are weird and expensive. We stayed in a couple different ones passing through there both times this summer.

You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Love that place though.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going, just some buddies. They said the rooms that they booked were more than reasonable. But, I guess you don't know for sure until you get there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will have have lots of beer so no worry there..

WL

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Oh, hotels are weird and expensive. We stayed in a couple different ones passing through there both times this summer.

You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Love that place though.

you never slept a eagle plains?

Posts: 1723 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple museums and beer. Sounds like their going to have the time of their life. Ha Ha.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a Whitehorse bar one night after a moose hunt and watched the Oilers play the Canucks. Very interesting as the home crowd was split about 50/50 between the two.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
local brewery is providing the beverage needed for those that like it.

they will have fun. we are starting to see the grass very unusual for that time of the year.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice restaurants:

the cork and bull in main st and the wheeler along the river.
no sponsors i paid all my bills there.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chin-gas-cook:
A couple museums and beer. Sounds like their going to have the time of their life. Ha Ha.

Whitehorse definitely caters more to the summertime visitor...lol

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are starting a job up there Mar 16....Tell them to grab a hammer/shovel and help us out!! Oh..and its night shift, but it will be fun, trust me.. Wink

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Wish I could remember the hotel, but we ate at its restaurant and they had some excellent caribou steaks with a blueberry sauce. In the same 'complex' was a barbershop who was a nice guy to chat with -- loved the way he "jacked up" a young man who came in and didn't take off his hat. I kinda dig old school manners.

Full disclosure: I kind of have a crush on Canada. We drove from Ft Leavenworth, KS to Elmendorf AFB, AK in '02...after 9/11. I've never seen so many US flags displayed as I did in Canada. Brings a wee tear to my eye remembering the drive. Good folks.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may feel like summer to them, with the weather we have had lately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Full disclosure: I kind of have a crush on Canada. We drove from Ft Leavenworth, KS to Elmendorf AFB, AK in '02...after 9/11. I've never seen so many US flags displayed as I did in Canada. Brings a wee tear to my eye remembering the drive. Good folks.

Me too!

I was stationed in Washington State on Whidbey Island and had a couple of Canadian girlfriends during the 7 years I lived there. Even if I was drunk and not 100% about my wits Canadians were always super nice, and friendly.

One time has always reminded me of how great Canada was. I was in Vancouver in a country bar (don't remember which ones, it's been 15 years), and had a few too many to drink. I turned around and bumped into a Canadian Brown Bear sized man and accidentally knocked his drink and mine out of our hands (he was probably 6'6 (I am 6 feet tall, and 240 pounds so this guy was giant)). I apologized and he laughed and bought us both a drink. In a lot of American bars I would have been pounded into a pulp.

This year I was driving up to Alaska for a job with the family in tow. We had got to Red Deer, AB and the wife and I were about as tired of one another as we could be. I went down to the hotel parking lot to clean the truck out. I was down there and a oilfield worker happened to be cleaning out his truck, struck up a conversation with him and felt like we were brother's from another mother.

Most Canadians I have met, have been among the nicest people I have ever met in my entire life.

That BC, Alberta, Yukon and NWT country is the nicest place I have ever been in my entire life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

Me too!

I was stationed in Washington State on Whidbey Island and had a couple of Canadian girlfriends during the 7 years I lived there. Even if I was drunk and not 100% about my wits Canadians were always super nice, and friendly.

One time has always reminded me of how great Canada was. I was in Vancouver in a country bar (don't remember which ones, it's been 15 years), and had a few too many to drink. I turned around and bumped into a Canadian Brown Bear sized man and accidentally knocked his drink and mine out of our hands (he was probably 6'6 (I am 6 feet tall, and 240 pounds so this guy was giant)). I apologized and he laughed and bought us both a drink. In a lot of American bars I would have been pounded into a pulp.

This year I was driving up to Alaska for a job with the family in tow. We had got to Red Deer, AB and the wife and I were about as tired of one another as we could be. I went down to the hotel parking lot to clean the truck out. I was down there and a oilfield worker happened to be cleaning out his truck, struck up a conversation with him and felt like we were brother's from another mother.

Most Canadians I have met, have been among the nicest people I have ever met in my entire life.

That BC, Alberta, Yukon and NWT country is the nicest place I have ever been in my entire life.

I was in Toronto on 9/11 and will never forget it. A few days later I drove from Toronto to Detroit (glad I wasn't a truck driver). Every bridge on the 401 had an American flag draped from it.

MsAZW was in the UK that day. The next day, at the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, instead of playing "Hail to the Queen" the band played the Star Bangled Banner. Since 1660 this remains the only instance of a foreign national anthem played at the changing of the guard.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
When I go through Whitehorse to Alaska I make it a point to have a couple could cold Yukon Gold's probably one the best amber beers you will ever drink. As other have said some of the nicest folks I have ever met. Next time I go through there I'm taking a tour of the brewery and buying me a couple of cases of that Yukon gold SmilerThe hotel we stayed was right across from McDonalds good accommodations I thought have a decent restaurant as well.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
My favorite thing to do in Whitehorse is a side-trip for the day to Skagway. Wink

And get a growler or two from Yukon brewing.

I don't usually go up there until Summer, so not sure what there is to do this time of the year.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did they had good time with the lovely spring we still have?

beautiful daylight already.