THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Grizzly bear hunting with dogs.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grizzly bear hunting with dogs.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read this interesting article about grizzly hunting in BC with dogs. http://bear-hunting.com/2019/5...c-grizzly-hound-hunt It seems like a super fun adrenaline inducing hunt. It would be fun to keep pace with the hounds and get in close with a big bore and harvest a nice bear. The article claimed that the hound hunts have been stopped as of 2018. Is this true, does any still offer this style of hunting in Canada or alaska?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear hunting with hounds was still in place in 2019.anti's were looking to outlaw cat hunts,i don't know what the status of that so far.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chit Com Hillbilly offered one of the Last BC hound grizzly hunt here in 2017.

Don't know of anybody else that offering a grizz hound hunt.

Hunting bears with hounds is a blast grizz would add a lot more excitement to it.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
All grizzly hunting was closed in British Columbia by the BC government on December 18, 2017, except for First Nations who can still kill them for meat or ceremonial purposes. The government closed the grizzly hunting because it was "no longer socially acceptable". Licensed outfitters in the province have not been able to offer grizzly hunts since then.

There were very few outfitters offering grizzly hunts with dogs when grizzly hunting was still open. Very few!

Hopefully we will see the grizzly season reinstated when we manage to get a change in government, but I am not holding my breath.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is a shame. It amazes me that a country so big and wild has such a liberal stance on hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to hunt Grizzlies with dogs, you'd better consider them expendable. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1573 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it seems the guy had a pretty good system down. But I do agree a grizzly would probably make short work of a dog if it got a hold of one. A little off topic but I remember reading about an ofiter in south America that was using dogo argentino dogs to bay water buffalo's in the wild
For close quarters hunting. These dogs amaze me how tough they are sometimes. The only experience I have with dogs is with wild boar hunting in Florida and these dogs are super tough and game. We then try and get real close with handguns and take them unaware if possible. I have a black bear hunt booked next month so we shall see if that's as fun as the boar hunting. But if they ever allow dogs with grizzlies I would love to try ut out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
If you're going to hunt Grizzlies with dogs, you'd better consider them expendable. Big Grin

Grizz

Black bears can do a number on dogs also. I seen the results of a bear getting a hold of a dog many times.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a black bear hunt booked next month so we shall see if that's as fun as the boar hunting. But if they ever allow dogs with grizzlies I would love to try ut out

Bear hunting with hounds can be short and sweet to long and draw out.

I have seen bears treed and shot with in minutes after the chase started to all day affairs where the chase lasted all day and the bear escaping.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
BC should be two provinces.

Vancouver and Victoria and the rest of the Province.

Friends in Smithers and they are trying to get out of their outfitting business and get one in the Yukon so they have less BS to deal with.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Friends in Smithers and they are trying to get out of their outfitting business and get one in the Yukon so they have less BS to deal with.

Completely agree.

Good luck to your friends in Smithers. Tough time to be marketing a guiding territory.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Kind of like Toronto and the rest of Ontario. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

Posts: 1573 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the Yukon is more hunting friendly?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! The liberal disease running rampant in Oregon and Washington State has had solid hold on BC for sometime.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12838 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Yes! The liberal disease running rampant in Oregon and Washington State has had solid hold on BC for sometime.

Mark

Mark is right. For decades many of us have said that BC is Canada's California. Having said that, the west coast mentality is primarily confined to the Vancouver/Southern Van. Is. area and the rest of BC is "normal".

Sadly, the Yukon and the NWT are not immune to the Left wing agenda either and anti-hunting sentiment is slowly increasing. The disease spreads with time and as more people move into these places from other areas, they bring their agendas with them. Even the game departments end up with biologists and technicians that are not hunters and as they move up the ladder, they start to implement their visions of how things should be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to hunt bear behind dogs.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I took my son's hunting black bear in New Mexico with dogs with Little Joe Troyer. It was pretty exciting. Both sons got bears, but my youngest got the bigger one. For grizzlies I favor spot and stalk. Walking up on them is a thrill.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For grizzlies I favor spot and stalk. Walking up on them is a thrill.

That's how I earned my handle. Big Grin

Grizz

James R. Doolitle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats funny, I am booked with lil Joe in new mexico for bear as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bears

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
So the Yukon is more hunting friendly?

for how long: is the question?

Posts: 1720 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a comment-

If the native tribes are allowed to kill them for meat/ceremony, but the reason no one else is allowed to is it’s socially unacceptable, isn’t that fundamentally judging a culture as being subhuman?

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Just a comment-

If the native tribes are allowed to kill them for meat/ceremony, but the reason no one else is allowed to is it’s socially unacceptable, isn’t that fundamentally judging a culture as being subhuman?

You’re first mistake is attempting to apply logic to the insanity of the liberal mindset currently gripping this country.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 243 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bart Lancaster hunts grizzly bears with dogs. Last time checked he was able to do this in the Yukon.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Bart Lancaster hunts grizzly bears with dogs. Last time checked he was able to do this in the Yukon.

you cant use dogs to chase animal in the yukon.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote