New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Bear Tips?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good site for Canadians, Canadian Gun Nutz has a hunting section, might want to check it out.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Reference what it takes to kill a black bear...see the video addressed below. This was in Manitoba about three weeks ago. 55 lb draw weight compound bow with a three blade (1.5 inch cutting diameter) mechanical broadhead. The bear was down within 30 yards. You can hear the classic black bear death moan about 20 seconds after the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...eaQ&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been reading this thread thinking you were out of your element a bit on this, but honestly seeing the effort you've put into it it's been a really good read. I hope you shoot a big SOB and the next post is a picture of you with your first bear, and a DIY to boot.

My first (and only) black bear was a DIY and I told myself if I draw another tag I'd rather pay someone and hunt their baits! I ran baits about 30 miles north of my home for over 6 weeks and the bear visits to every one of them all died the week before season. Ended up shooting a bear on a new bait I put in only 3 days prior on the last week of the season.

I now have 9 points and could draw about any tag, but may build a few more and donate them to a young hunter and let them have the opportunity.

GOOD LUCK!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time is drawing near.I head on up early Tuesday.
If the bait was not hit or visited often I will put up another.I will go to the range this weekend and check the Lotts POI and put a fouled own the bore.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My first (and only) black bear was a DIY and I told myself if I draw another tag I'd rather pay someone and hunt their baits! I ran baits about 30 miles north of my home for over 6 weeks and the bear visits to every one of them all died the week before season. Ended up shooting a bear on a new bait I put in only 3 days prior on the last week of the season.

Seen it happen more then once. Last year was horrible that way.

Every body was talking how their baits died.

Posts: 19340 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]
[URL= ]3[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice trout they taste good fired in butter.

Did you have any bear activity

Posts: 19340 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I arrived in the hunting area checked in and went to check my bait.The bait was exactly how I left it-nothing hit it except for a big, fat hare.I then set up three more baits in other areas.Aftet checking them daily, they too were never hit.I gave up on the bear hunt and concentrated on fishing.On my second to last evening there the patroller who works there asked me how it was going.I told him the news.He said that he was also a bear hunter and that if I wanted to shoot a bear I should do like he does and drive along a certain road early morning and spot a bear.He said the he sees them there frequently.
I followed his directions and found the forestry road.It is an isolated, rocky dirt road about 100km long.There is no one on that road this time of year.Driving on it is spooky and very hard on the truck.If I still want a bear next year I might take his advice and road hunt for a bear.
As for the fishing,I caught a few Walleye and a couple of native speckled trout.It was nice to be out on the lake surrounded by all that natural beauty.