New
Find
Notify
Tools

caribou migration
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When does the Caribou migration in Quebec start?
Thinking about going but can only do it in August.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
I hunted western central Quebec in late August/early September 2001 and the migration was crazy for the first four days. We were seeing hundreds of animals daily. On the fifth morning the wind which had been steadily blowing out of the northwest since day one shifted to coming out of the south. Probably didn't see a dozen caribou the rest of the week.
August is a great time to catch them on the move, but it can go from great to nothing overnight. Just the chance you take with any kind of hunting. Based on my experience, I'd say go for it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
August/September can be good hunting times , but I shot two in August a few years back and lost all the meat do to the flys .

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the year/weather.

We have had groups go in August that hit the migration really well, while in other years our hunters haven't hit it until Sept.

Not as predictable as it used to be.

I went this year and last but the migration wasn't really there until later in Sept.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote