Find
Notify
Tools

Moose for the Less Mobile?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted
I’d like to hunt moose if at all possible during the time I have left on this earth. Here’s the problem: I’m a middle aged, out of shape desk jockey with a bum knee and a bad shoulder. Anything involving long hikes on rough ground, horseback riding and quick off-hand shots is pretty much out of the question. I’m kind of in a never-never land – not able to take on a “normal” hunt but not qualifying for a disability permit, either. Unfortunately, the moose hunts in the USA that I’ve checked into either involve a tag that I may not live long enough to draw or are beyond my physical (or financial) limits.

A long time ago I read about a “farmland” moose hunt in one of the western provinces (possibly Saskatchewan.) The hunts are out of a stand or blind, like hunting white-tailed deer. This would be perfect but I can’t remember (or find) the outfitter who offered it. Trophy size is not important – in fact it doesn’t even need to be a bull, a cow would do nicely. I’m not at all interested in doing any fishing, if that makes a difference. I’d be alone (none of my friends are hunters) so I’d need plenty of help if I were to score.

Taking all of that into consideration, is Bullwinkle a reasonable goal? Any recommendations for an outfitter for this kind of hunt? Or would I be better off continuing to go for those little turbocharged goats they have in Wyoming?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, keep at it! I'm sure someone here will be able to accommodate you. Since you're not concerned about trophy size, a Canada Moose would be perfect...chance of easier terrain, and much less expensive than most Alaskan Moose hunts.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pm sent your way.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a real good hunt..
Ceaser Lake outfitters in the Yukon and a river hunt by boat..

Will not get any better ..IMHO

Robbie

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Bigasanelk.......... I am guessing the farmland moose hunt you are referring to was probably in Alberta. Of course that depends what magazine you saw it in. There are farmland moose in SK and MB, but not in areas that allow non-resident moose hunting.

There are lots of options out there for you to get a moose. Honestly, your assessment of you abilities fits a LOT of hunters. Smiler

Drop me a PM and I would be more than willing to give you a hand in finding somewhere to go. I know quite a few outfitters in the western Canada that can help you out. Part of the equation is what you can afford for a hunt..... makes a big difference in where you should be concentrating your efforts.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newfoundland. Moose breed like rats there. A friend went there last year for the first time. He's very mobile so was actually disappointed that his moose was so easy. Like drive along the road, see moose in bush, get out and stalk 40 yards, shoot it, easy. But it was also a straight-up meat hunt for him so he didn't care. Shot a cow at 9 am on the second day after getting rained out on the first.

4 day hunt, $5000. You'll really only need one day of good weather.

He and another friend are going back to the same place this year but are going to book a younger guide who will drag their asses around in the bush.

PM me if you want contact info.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Newfoundland is the answer by boat and on a budget. No your not going to score on a seventy inch bull but really who cares, and if what you are after is a great hunting experience seeing lots of animals, this would be the answer.

It sounds like you are a determined individual and I'm sure you will succeed!

Good hunting!!

Posts: 621 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Newfoundland. Just got back from a bear hunt there and really enjoyed the landscape and people.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
float hunt in the Yukon

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
float hunt in the Yukon

There a $20K tab in the making :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Biebs, exactly. I could be wrong but I think a hunter who would be happy with a cow and some great eating is not going to be looking for a northern hunt that will set them back $20K.

Newfoundland is great....... no arguments there. On the other hand it is hunting and I have known guys that went there and did not get a moose. It can happen anywhere. But, again Newfoundland is a great place.

In any event if you want your meat to take home, you need to factor in the way you intend to do that. By truck and cooler//freezer on your own or by shipping with a company.

All of the after hunt things need to be looked at and a total hunt price needs to b e arrived at.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Apparently shipping meat home from Newfoundland is quite common on moose hunts. Surprisingly it didn't sound that expensive. It sounds like many people hunt there primarily for the meat.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised to hear that. My wife and I have often talked about doing a moose hunt on 'The Rock', be a good excuse to drive back there and do the tourist thing in the maritimes prior to the hunt.

Most of the hunters I know that hunt in Newfoundland for moose live in states along the eastern seaboard and so they drive. Be interesting to hear what the rates are for shipping by a few who have done it. Would be good info for hunters contemplating such a trip.

I have known guys who shipped meat and it ended up in a disaster with their meat sitting on loading docks and thawing out. Less likely to experience this sort of problem when dealing with outfitters who expedite this sort of thing for their hunters on a regular basis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be worth giving these people a call: Central Newfoundland Shipping: 709-651-4427.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
You could hunt moose as part of a drive in Sweden.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy my buddy hunted with hired a trucker to ship it out. My buddy had to go to Toronto to pick it up but that was it (1 hour away).

The hunt was in late Sept. and IIRC, he got his meat in late November. Cost was about $1/lb for shipping. Small price compared to the cost of the hunt.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted moose in Newfoundland in 14, great hunt and great people. I took my boned out moose to a butcher to cut and rap and it cost about $100, this included boxing and freezing. It did take two days. When I flew home West Jet charged me $160 for four meat boxes and the horns. There were some guys flying to Pennsylvania on Canada Air and I think they paid $600 for the same amount of meat and horns.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote