Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I would not get too excited about the announcement as it is not a firm commitment, and there are a lot of things that can easily stop this from happening. Our news anchors today are all spouting off about the fact that Covid cases in the US are once again climbing in a number of states due to the Delta variant.

I hope this works out for you, but I know a lot of outfitters and those who operate in remote areas are not going to spend many thousands of dollars to get set up, flying in supplies, trucking horses and trailing them in, etc. etc. until they know that some of their clients can actually come. In some cases so much of the season will be gone before it opens that it probably is not financially viable to only run a few hunts.

I am not trying to be negative, but I would not be jumping for joy just yet...Trudeau could be saying this just to try and get people off his back for a short while. There are still many government types on both sides of the border that do not want to see the border open yet and quite a few people, including the "pundits" on the news channels don't think that the border will begin to open until September or later.

We will see in due course.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to be going this year. Had a Mountain Goat hunt booked that was postponed a couple of times. I had the hunt mostly paid for but due to ongoing uncertainty, and the rise of the Delta variant only worsens this in my view, agreed to the outfitter refunding my money. He could offer no certainty as to when the hunt could be conducted. I could not say for certain when travel might be possible. Both very saddening and annoying but we are staying in touch to make new plans at the appropriate opportunity.
At this point I am not convinced by Trudeau's statement, but we'll see.

I feel for the unfortunate Canadian outfitters getting hammered by this situation and agree with Skyline that even if the borders open this year there is insufficient lead time to properly organise everything for hunts to take place.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
I would not get too excited about the announcement as it is not a firm commitment, and there are a lot of things that can easily stop this from happening. Our news anchors today are all spouting off about the fact that Covid cases in the US are once again climbing in a number of states due to the Delta variant.

I hope this works out for you, but I know a lot of outfitters and those who operate in remote areas are not going to spend many thousands of dollars to get set up, flying in supplies, trucking horses and trailing them in, etc. etc. until they know that some of their clients can actually come. In some cases so much of the season will be gone before it opens that it probably is not financially viable to only run a few hunts.

I am not trying to be negative, but I would not be jumping for joy just yet...Trudeau could be saying this just to try and get people off his back for a short while. There are still many government types on both sides of the border that do not want to see the border open yet and quite a few people, including the "pundits" on the news channels don't think that the border will begin to open until September or later.

We will see in due course.

indeed no rush before it is time ... trudeau is well known for saying one thing and doing the 180 degrees turn around ...

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Another issue for outfitters is that they may have guide problems to contend with. Many guides, having been faced with no employment for an extended period of time, have gone out and gotten real jobs in order to pay the bills and keep their spouses happy.

I also know that some of the northern outfitters have been hiring a fair number of guides from New Zealand for their mountain hunts. It will be very tough to replace them on short notice. I was just talking to an outfitter I know a short time ago that said the New Zealand chaps he had been hiring as guides had taken regular jobs at home when everything shut down due to Covid. Most of them are not going to be willing to quit their current jobs and a steady paycheque. Even if they would entertain the idea, there is very little chance that all of the government paperwork/permitting required to hire guides from out of country could ever be done in time.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The whole outfitting industry and their clients could sure use a break.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Another issue for outfitters is that they may have guide problems to contend with. Many guides, having been faced with no employment for an extended period of time, have gone out and gotten real jobs in order to pay the bills and keep their spouses happy.

I also know that some of the northern outfitters have been hiring a fair number of guides from New Zealand for their mountain hunts. It will be very tough to replace them on short notice. I was just talking to an outfitter I know a short time ago that said the New Zealand chaps he had been hiring as guides had taken regular jobs at home when everything shut down due to Covid. Most of them are not going to be willing to quit their current jobs and a steady paycheque. Even if they would entertain the idea, there is very little chance that all of the government paperwork/permitting required to hire guides from out of country could ever be done in time.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The whole outfitting industry and their clients could sure use a break.

that is correct and here i know more than a few that were doing the whole that wont return and the few guides they have left are the ones that are taking vacations to do the guiding stuff some may be great but that is an hard gambling with that money spent to come here hunting.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote