New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Pythons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Colt has began producing the Python again. A 6" and 4 1/4" model. Both Stainless steel.
Will be interesting to see a specimen. Perhaps there will be one at the DSC convention.
I have a few of the original models. They are smooth as silk!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Colt forum. Some folks are not too happy with the build quality.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
C.G.B.
There have been a substantial number of complaints about them from owners. I spoke to a very competent gunsmith who has been in the business over 35 years who says the things that complaints are about can all be fixed. Don't you just love it when you buy a brand new firearm and have to immediately send it off to get it "fixed"~?

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes Indeed! I have several older Colts but I am primarily a S+W fan. I think that the company has "literally" rode that horse to death. They are not worth that much more strictly because of a company logo. That being said as I said earlier, the older Colts are great performers.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most companies when bringing out new models seem to have some growing pains.

Yes it really is a new model different lock work even if it looks like the old one.

They seem to have solved it.

Seen it with them all.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
C.G.B.
There have been a substantial number of complaints about them from owners. I spoke to a very competent gunsmith who has been in the business over 35 years who says the things that complaints are about can all be fixed. Don't you just love it when you buy a brand new firearm and have to immediately send it off to get it "fixed"~?

Sounds like Colts 1911s of the past.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this in the handgun hunting Python thread, because it made me feel better about Colt's DA comeback; hope it's interesting to this thread's readers as well.

"Was glad to see this:

https://www.americanrifleman.o...issues-in-new-video/

Colt's traced/reproduced/admitted the 3 problems (light primer strikes, no cylinder rotation, and bad barrel crowns) and is addressing them, it looks like."

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I’m going to drop 4 figures on a new revolver, I’d get the Manhurin before the new colt python… but then I have a few old pythons, so maybe I’m not the target market.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I'm with crbutler. I'd much rather pay more for a used MR-73. There are tons of old Pythons for sale, and while nice, they're too pricey for me. The new Pythons also have odd looking triggers.

The Anaconda seems like a nice piece, but too high priced for now. My choice would have to be a standard 29, or a nice blued Magna Classic.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in its day the Pythons were popular, but anyone serious had them tweeked, because they stacked, but they responded to good gunsmithing and were popular and they have always been costly..Id say target and combat shooters went about 50-50 between the two...and both needed double action and single action trigger jobs..still do for competition at least..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote