New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 10mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The closer I get to convincing myself to buy a 10mm semi-auto, the more confused I get.

1. Seems like when I get away from Glock, the price doubles.

2. I am looking at the Glock 29SF and the Glock 29, Gen4 as possible concealed carry weapons, and hog hunting weapon. I don't see what the difference between the two is. The specs look identical.

3. The Model 29 Gen4 is about 7% more expensive than the SF. I don't understand why. Both can be had for between $550 and $600.

4. Both are double action only and have fixed sights which are negatives in my book. Is there not a good 10mm semi-auto that can be fired single or double, and has adjustable sights?

5. I can't find a 10mm that I can test fire. I would hate to buy one and then immediately find I don't like the kick.

Are the 10mms just unpopular?

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Don't believe what I tell you but I believe the SF is a "slim frame" and supposedly fit the hand better. The Gen four has a recoil spring upgrade that is supposed to decrease perceived recoil. A 10mm in a compact platform is likely a handful. I have a Gen 4 Glock 20 and love it.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
EAA 600650 Witness Elite Match 14+1 10mm 4.75"

If you can find one.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sig Sauer P220 Legion. Now available in 10mm.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the P220 look. The price is like buying two pistols. Not going to work for "carry".

I'm going to keep watching and waiting. Looks like the 10mm is becoming more popular. Something is going to grab me by the wallet eventually.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't find a place to shoot a 10mm. Frisco Gun Club doesn't have one. Bullet Trap doesn't have one.

I hate the idea of buying one, then deciding I don't like it.

I'll keep searching.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't believe what I tell you but I believe the SF is a "slim frame" and supposedly fit the hand better.

Frostbit is correct. I have a SF Gen 3 Glock 20 and love it.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As someone else posted, get an EAA Witness Elite or similar. Reasonably priced and very accurate. I am an EAA fan. As to recoil, it is the same ol' same ol'. You can load it down to 40 S&W levels or load it up to close to 41 mag. levels. Bullet weights from 165 grain on up. I shoot 200 grain bullets. Small gun, big gun. No free lunch!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 10mm platform that is built like a tank-look at a 3rd generation 1006/1076 S&W.

A 10mm platform that offers X-Change caliber options to .22LR look at a SIG SAUER P220R 5 10mm.

Combat Tupperware(Glock)are not & will not be allowed in my arsenal for numerous reasons.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
The closer I get to convincing myself to buy a 10mm semi-auto, the more confused I get.

1. Seems like when I get away from Glock, the price doubles.

2. I am looking at the Glock 29SF and the Glock 29, Gen4 as possible concealed carry weapons, and hog hunting weapon. I don't see what the difference between the two is. The specs look identical.

3. The Model 29 Gen4 is about 7% more expensive than the SF. I don't understand why. Both can be had for between $550 and $600.

4. Both are double action only and have fixed sights which are negatives in my book. Is there not a good 10mm semi-auto that can be fired single or double, and has adjustable sights?

The Glock 10mms, with the possible exception of the 6.2" long-slide G40, weren't intended to be 'target' guns, but defensive ones.

Adjustable sights are unnecessary on self-defense pistols and only serve to create a snag-risk. If you want a 10mm for target or gun-game competitions, take a look at one of the 1911 10mms with Bo-Mar type adj. sights. But those models can be quite pricey. Whistling

quote:
5. I can't find a 10mm that I can test fire. I would hate to buy one and then immediately find I don't like the kick.

Look around for a local gun shop with a range and "rental" pistols. They might have a 10mm G29 or G20 for you to "rent" and shoot for 30-mins. Most such shops, however, make you buy a box of factory ammo, unless you bring factory ammo. No reloads. Just be advised that most factory 10mm ammo is watered-down to ".40-level," unless it's made by Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, or Underwood. They make the full-strength stuff.

quote:

Actually, the 10mm cartridge has never been more popular. More pistols and revolvers (Ruger offers two 10mm wheelguns) are now chambered for it than at anytime since the cartridge appeared the early 1980s.

If you're looking for a concealed EDC pistol in 10mm, the 10+1 capacity Gen4 G29 is what you want if you want a Glock.

For a general purpose 10mm, the 15+1 Gen4 G20 is hard to beat - whether it's at the range, on the street, or as a "woods"/trail gun. If you get the right holster and dress for it, you can carry a G20 concealed. It's just takes more work to CCW a G20 than it does the G29.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Glock 10mm is scary accurate. It has fixed sights, but I have a sight pusher to adjust them. The trigger is "safe action". I have grown to really like it. It's very predictable. It's lighter than most double-action triggers, though not as nice as most single-action triggers.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

1. Seems like when I get away from Glock, the price doubles.........

Since the FBI went away from .40 interest in `10mm is growing fast. My guess is that many shooters interested in something more than 9mm or .45 were choosing .40 over 10mm and now that's changed.

I was contemplating a 10mm, Glock or something else. After some research, I purchased a Kimber Stainless Target II Longslide. It has a 6" barrel. I paid less than $800 for it. I am very pleased with it. The Kimber is a nice, reasonably priced option for those who prefer a 1911.

There are people who swear by Glocks. I recognize Glock has a fantastic reputation but they never did much for me and I just don't like shooting them. I like steel on steel, a real trigger, and a grip that doesn't feel like a 2x2 in my hand. I like traditional 1911s.

It all came down to personal preferences:
  • Plastic vs Steel
  • Large capacity vs Standard capacity
  • Bulky, blocky grip vs slender, comfortably fitting grip
  • Striker fired vs Hammer fired
  • Three safeties all connected and automatically released by the single act of pulling a 5.5 lb trigger vs three safeties that are separate and independent of a crisp, adjustable trigger that can be worked as low as 3 lbs if desired.
  • A pistol safe on the dance floor vs a pistol that is unsafe on the dance floor:

Again, it's all just a matter of personal preference.

•  
    Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Bill/Oregon
    posted Hide Post
    Gren, that Kimber was an excellent choice. Well done!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
    – John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of dukxdog
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Glock 20 Gen4. I didn't like the 8# trigger so upgraded to 3.5#. Also installed a Storm Lake titanium nitrided barrel to shoot hard cast slugs. It shoots reliably. It's a utility handgun.

I have a Dan Wesson (CZ) 10mm that I really like. Very well made 1911 style handgun. I highly recommend the DW. I shopped around and found them quite reasonably priced for their quality.

GOA Life Member
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Life Member Dallas Safari Club
    Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I also have a number of 10mm handguns.

Not sure why... I guess I’m odd.

The G29 is the most concealable of the lot, but the butt is a bit wide, and if full bore ammo is used, it’s a handful.

The G20 is the most economical choice. It’s accurate, but not superbly so. 15 round mags are cheaply available.

The revolvers are very accurate, but the guns are as big and heavy as .44 magnum guns.

The colt delta elite (and other standard size 1911) are concealable, accurate, and shootable. They are heavy, and tend to beat themselves up unless you are good on keeping the right recoil spring in it. They also have about half the capacity of the glock.

The smith and Wesson pistols are SA/DA, a bit lighter than the 1911, but not as accurate and are well past being commercially available.

I don’t have the EAA gun, but have shot one. I’d get it except I have a SV infinity chambered in 10mm. That has 20 round capacity (slightly long 140mm mags) and is the most accurate of the lot. (I’ve shot it a number of years in USPSA limited competition until I got pissed at folks stealing my brass...) but that is a custom build and not really very concealable.

To me, the best compromise for concealment and hunting use would be either a used S&W 1076 or a commander length 1911. If you want it for mostly CC, then the Glock 29. If it’s a OC belt gun, the G20 is by far the best value, if you don’t mind glocks.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote