New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on the PT100 Taurus
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking about a full size 1911 style 40 caliber and wondered if any folks here have any experience with them. Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoker,
I think that the reason that no one is responding to your question is that the PT100 is a pistol similar to the Beretta pistol used by the US military services. However, these pistols are vastly different from the 1911 style Colts and their progeny.

The Taurus pistols (PT 92, 99, 100) are well made, have many desirable features, and come in 9mm and .40 caliber. They are accurate and Taurus stands behind their product.

Be aware that different models do have different characteristics, I believe, some being double action only, some having safeties that decock, and some being able to be carried "locked and cocked." You will have to check the characteristics of the model you are looking at.

I have had an old PT 99 for ever, and it is a dandy pistol. It will handle Beretta or Taurus high capacity mags, and can be carried locked and cocked or you can carry it with the hammer down on a loaded chamber and use it double action. Mine has an alloy frame and chrome slide. The only problem is that the black comes off the front sight. Right now it has some red nail polish on it. Works fine.

The handle is large for a man with medium hands, and I equipt mine with after-market rubber grips to improve the feel. I highly recommend them if you have a medium size hand. If you have a small hand, or for a woman, you wil probably not like this pistol.

Hope this helps. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudude, nice of you to respond. Thanks for your open opinion. I also have a PT99 and like it as well. Thought of picking up a 40 and wondered how they faired with the rest. I see that the 9mm is pretty popular but never heard anything on the 40. Thanks again Kudude, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote