Find
Notify
Tools

.45 auto FMJ or?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted
...when tracking wounded animals especially wounded boars, when following them in to thick bush (too thick for a rifle) I use a .45 auto with FMJ...those are real close encounters (max 5 m - 15 feet) with lots of obsticles and a charging animal (frontal shots) where you must hit the head (quite hard scull with steep angle of impact) or slightly higher between ears to get the spine to stop the charge. I found the situation similar to facing DG in Africa with rifle - thats why I use FMJ (must say it worked so far). Any thoughts or know-how with different kind of bullets like JSP...regarding obsticles, penetration...?

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Corbon DPX [all copper Barnes HP] might be an option. It's noted for it's penetration but also expands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mmight want to use a very hard lead bullet with a conical point. The round nose FMJ has a reputation for hitting ribs and heads and following them around. The conical point, like the new flat point solids, keep going straight. The issue is then whether your pistol will reliably feed this cone shape. If I did a lot of what you describe, I'd look around and pick up an old 1917 or 1937 revolver in .45 Auto or even a S&W in 45Colt. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are intent on using the .45acp, a hard cast LFP would give you a bit better terminal perf. if your pistol will feed & function. My next choice would be a 230gr FMJTC.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Smiler thanks guys - can you tell me more how hard are hard lead bullets - can their penetration and ability of maintaining the shape be compared to the one of FMJ ? Also how would lead response (in a sence of leading) to the H&K barrel that I shoot (it doesnt have classical groove like inside)?

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
.45 acp 230 grain hard cast tc. I like a flat nose.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
.45cal 300grLFP @ 1000fps outpenetrate my 210gr .338-06 rounds in wetpack. A hard cast LFP will not deform much unless hitting solid bone then They would act much like a FMJ. Supposedly the polygon rifling in your USP will not take lead bullets, but I have fired 1,000s of hard cast lead thru my Glock w/o problems, just keep the bbl. clean.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First I would rebuilt it to either the 45super or 460 roland and use the 230 grain XTP slugs, so far this set up has worked very well for a bud of mine...

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the remington golden saber. With a 185gr at 541 ft lbs of energy, you cant beat it

Posts: 63 | Location: NM | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Ilike the GS +P as well, but in this case I'd load it with 230 gr G. Sabers to +P velocity. The conversion to .45 Super might be worth thinking about. The Oregon Trail bullets have a Brinnell hardness of 26. The hardest I know of. Some like this and some don't as far as a game bullet hardness. A very good hard cast bullet that I've started using recently is from www.northeastbullet.com I'd be inclined to use the 225 gr. loaded to +P. They also have 250 and 300 gr. RNFPs. Their Brinnell hardness is 19 and their bullets have a molycoat over the entire bullet. I like that for reduced friction in the bore as well as the fact that it cuts down lead exposure when handling them. Their prices are very good and INCLUDES SHIPPING! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote