Notify
Tools

reflex on a 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Howdy fellers,

I just can't see anymore and need to put something on my carry pistol in case I actually need it.

I have been shooting a Trijicon RMR 06 on my double rifle and love it.

How is the best way to put a similar sight on a Gvt model 1911?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lane, If you get Dillon's "Blue Press" monthly mag they have quite a few sights listed; so does Brownell's. I went shooting with a friend that had the red dot Trijicon on his STI 38 super + it was a joy to shoot. Wherever the dot was so was your bullet.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris on a 9mm/38 sup slide. Works fine.

Make sure you the the Fastfire 3 . top loading battery and brightness setting

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ledvm, there was a recent discussion here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1012131/m/6941062652

The issue seems to be the dovetail rear sight mount, and the fact that the slide on a 1911 is rounded.
Good luck, please post your results.

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was told that it ain't gonna happen so i went with a diff platform

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is easy to do. you want the trijicon mount with back up rear sight and the tirjicon raised front sight. Gunsmith mills the slide to fit. Look on the Nightforce website for examples

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellers for all replies.

I know it can be done...was just hoping to find someone who had been through the process to give me their recommendations on mounts. I likely will use a Fastfire III or maybe a Docter for smaller size.

If anyone can chime in on mounts... I would be much obliged.

This company - https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/ - will make you a holster for a 1911 with a reflex.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not for everyone but I practice instinctive shooting in my old age, and it works rather well. but Ive been doing that since 1954 as it was required by the El Paso Police Dept. pistol or rifle, it works up to 25 to 50 yards with rifle and a bit less with a pistol..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The FF3 can be ordered with a 1911 base. The dovetail piece and a curved plate for the sight.

film at 11

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Not for everyone but I practice instinctive shooting in my old age, and it works rather well. but Ive been doing that since 1954 as it was required by the El Paso Police Dept. pistol or rifle, it works up to 25 to 50 yards with rifle and a bit less with a pistol..

I shoot instinctively pretty well and have been relying on that for the last few years. With my progressive lens glasses and time I shoot well with standard sights. That said after shooting my .500 NE for the last 5 years with one...reflex sights are really effective inside 50 yds, fast, and don’t require the right focal plane in my glasses or even glasses at at.

I believe (though the proof will be in the pudding) one will be the cat’s meow for a pistol.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am told that their are 1911's made (Kimber???) that come with slides pre-machined for the application of reflex sights. Can anyone elaborate?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
This is my 1982 Auto Ord 45 with a Colt 9mm top. Burris Fastfire sight.

Here's a Wilson with co mounted red dot and irons. My buddy has one without the muzzle brake.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hi Rich,
Are those dovetail mounts in slot for rear sight or milled into the slide mounts?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Burris supplied dovetail filler that is threaded for 2 screws, then a curved or stepped mount on top.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
tu2 Thank you kindly.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones I have had best luck with had the slide milled. The other variants just sit too high if you are used to iron sights. It is a "learnable" difference, but if you still play with regular irons it will cause some issues with muscle memory and hunting for your dot under time pressure.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well I found a Kimber that came from the factory with the Vortex reflex. I finally had time to sight it in.

Damn...what a game changer just like when I added one to my double .500 NE.

I was even able to stand, shoot off-hand, and hit a 10” gong consistently at 50 yds!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Well I found a Kimber that came from the factory with the Vortex reflex. I finally had time to sight it in.

Damn...what a game changer just like when I added one to my double .500 NE.

I was even able to stand, shoot off-hand, and hit a 10” gong consistently at 50 yds!

+1

Red dots are game changers. I won’t buy a new pistol without a red dot cut.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At 59 and a pretty serious competitive pistol shooter red dots are the way to go. The picture of the Wilson above is exactly what I use for a carry gun. You are best off with the RMR because they are much stouter than other choices. The wilson shows the correct mounting on a 1911 as well.

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I put an RM 06 RMR on my .500 NE double and knew after using it a couple of years that it was the way.

This Kimber with the Vortex reflex just proved to me to give up totally on irons and go reflex.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Glad you got this all sorted out Lane. I am in the same boat regarding open handgun sights, although I seem to be able to see them on my little Bulldog well enough to cover close range. But hand me a Super Blackhawk and my eyes are about useless. Ordered a pair of glasses online and will see if they help. Never tried this before, and hope they get my RX right.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I don’t really have terrible eyes...just not eyes for precision shooting with irons any longer. I have the best glasses made and they help.

That said I can outshoot myself any day of the week with a reflex sight and no glasses vs the best glasses and the easiest to see irons.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've recently switched to Holosun HE507C sights. They are very small and sit quite low. I only use them for competition though, not for carry. I prefer a green dot.

Mounting on a 1911 slide that has not been milled is an extreme compromise. As has been mentioned earlier, the shift in muscle memory is dramatic.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am going to carry mine.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This is interesting. I’m not seeing any better than I once could. I have a few decent 1911s ranging from STI to Kimber to Colt.

No, I will not have them milled to fit, but that WC Richj posted looks wicked! John Browning would be proud of the evolution.

I do wonder how those RMR wights fare if bumped.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, did your glasses help? I have avoided doing glasses by mail just like boots; it seems a recipe for disaster, but hope it worked out for you.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bringing this topic back to the top. There are now several 1911's with cutouts for reflex sights, from very inexpensive to top of the line.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A combat pistol should not be cluttered..a trigger job and a throat job, nothing else adn point shooting with both hands below your tits! old

that will save your life in the short rows..

If your shooting rabbits etc. the world is your oyster with gimmicks.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote