Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
Same gun
Same ammo
40 Degrees

STI Range Report I

Called STI after the first disaster and thoroughly cleaned and lubed the gun with MMC as supplied with the gun by STI. I also cycled the action MANY (several hundred) times by hand. Another 100 rounds today, (12/24/05). 20 Fail to feeds out of 90 possible and 7 of 10 failed to feed from the slide release. Had 2 different failures this time. About ½ were nose up into the barrel and the other were nose down into the ramp. This is Winchester white box 230 gn. ball ammo. I’ll call Tuesday and back to Texas as soon as I get the return authorization… what a bummer.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear your pain, brother.
We spend to much money on these guns. The manufactures should not release these malfunctioning guns to the public until they are sure of the reliability.
Shame on them.
Call STI and (nicely) demand a solution that suits you.
Let us know how their customer service is.
Good Luck

Posts: 1065 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I called STI and they said they'd make it right without question. I also received the other 2 mags I ordered. Well the original mag is too tight, by about 0.020" it slows the action down enough to let the bullet pop up and hit the top of the barrel. No such problem with the newer mags. The slide slams home without hesitation or fail. Now I just have to go shoot the dang thing and hope it works on the range. Then get a replacement mag from STI. I'm shooting tomorrow... updates as events warrant

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
It was the mag! Too tight and slowed the action down. (I need a woman like that!) With very little work I'm back in action. Still waiting on the adjustable rear sight but the target looked good and the gun worked without fail for 200 rounds. It is a joy to shoot!

IPSC in the Spring!

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
Am so glad you found the problem. The potential of a ramp versus magazine problem is the reason I originally asked about marks on the projectile nose. That could indicate a ramp shape problem.

If there are no significant marks, then one would normally look for something that is dragging, that is, reducing the slide's velocity. You did indeed find the latter.

Magazines are very important in real use and in IPSC. Brownell's carries Wolffe mag springs as well as mag bodies and base pads.

Have a wonderful time with the piece. It should be an excellent one.

I have one STI frame that has 50k rnds of hot Super on it ... and I think it will make at least another 50k rds!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly even with just the mag problem the ammo that didn't feed hit the ramp and top of the barrel hard enough to leave marks...

On a second note...

50K ROUNDS!!! wow that's a lot of ammo. Thanks for the good words

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
It was the mag! Too tight and slowed the action down. (I need a woman like that!) With very little work I'm back in action. Still waiting on the adjustable rear sight but the target looked good and the gun worked without fail for 200 rounds. It is a joy to shoot!

IPSC in the Spring!

Where will you be shooting? There are a bunch of us from Ne. Pa. that go up to Cortland, Ny. every month.

------------------------------------
Add about 360 posts to the total. My username was wiped out with the last board update.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where will you be shooting? There are a bunch of us from Ne. Pa. that go up to Cortland, Ny. every month.

I don't know the schedule yet, but I'm thinking Cortland and Fulton (Pathfinders) I believe thay shoot alternate schedules so they don't conflict, but I'm not sure. I'm BRAND NEW to this. Feel free to send some advice...
(ww111@yahoo.com for off list info)

Many thanks in advance, I'll see you when the snow melts

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
Collins,
Pathfinder shooters on the 3rd Sunday, Cortland shoots the 4th Sunday, Square Deal(Endicott) shoots the 1st Sunday.

We shoot Square Deal and Cortland every month. I'm going to miss this week at Cortland and next month. My daughter has a party to go to this weekend and it will be her 6th birthday party next month during Cortland's match.

If you are looking for something to do on the 2nd Sunday, try out Factoryville, in Pa.I can send you directions.

Area 7/ Eastern Lakes Section webpage

http://www.uspsa7.org/els/

PS,
For advice go to :

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

Some of the best shooters in the country hang out there. LOTS of good info to be had on that board.

------------------------------------
Add about 360 posts to the total. My username was wiped out with the last board update.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote