THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Best 45 ACP DA/SA or Striker Pistol

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 45 ACP DA/SA or Striker Pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since our state limits mag capacity to 10+1, I thought I'd add a 45 ACP to the collection. I'm not thinking 1911, as I don't like the SAO and all the safety gizmos. I'm thinking S&W MP2, Walther, Sig 220, HK45, etc. Thoughts?

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look at the para ordinance ones of yestser year

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look at the old para ordinance

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't the Para guns have double stack hi-cap magazines?

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I know two guys that have a 45 that is NOT a 1911. One is a Springfield XD. Nice kit.

I have a glock 20 (10mm) with a 21 slide (45 acp).
Not much more to say.

Posts: 6374 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find one a Ruger P90.

You would be hard press to find a tougher one.

Posts: 19340 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the early one did - had one and it was one of the more acculturate 45's i've owned one thing about double stacked 45's is that they tend to be a bit clumsy and with a full mag - heavy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a double stack 45 ACP is a bit of a handful, and no need with a 10 round limit here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have great trust in my H&k 45c. Can be used either DA/SA or cocked and locked. Very concealable and dead nuts reliable. The one I have confidence in for 'social occasions.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jon, yes, the Para-Ords have a dbl. stack mag. I had one, a really sweet pistol that I gave to my brother-in-law He likes it too. I don't have a problem with the grip as I have large hands. But I would say that it is not but a bit larger than a Hi-Power.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SIG Sauer P220. A number of models available. Top tier handgun.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Sig 220, HK45, Walther PDP, Glock 21, Springfield MP....checking them all out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 45 acp is an excellent self defense caliber for sure if one is able to handle the weapon shooting it. I carried a all steel 1911 for over a decade as a LEO and never felt under gunned. The 1911 has a more complex manual of arms compared to some of today’s handguns. I still own one 1911 and it is full size all steel but for carry I have switched to a Glock 30S in 45 acp. The Glock is lighter, carries more rounds, is in my opinion even more reliable and has less felt recoil on follow up shots. I started off saying I would never own a Glock but have found them to be a reliable and accurate handgun. If you are using the pistol for self defense it is critical that it is a pistol you are comfortable with and shoot well. A Glock 30S holds 10 plus 1. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clayman, the Glocks may not win any beauty contest, and are not as "sexy" as some of the newer pistols out there, but there's no denying they're reliable and effective.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The Sig 220 is a great pistol UNLESS you're left-handed. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I've been looking at the Sig 220 Legion....nice piece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, Totally agreed that Glocks are ugly. Most gun guys believe that, but they are reliable good shooting guns and next to a quality revolver in my opinion are the most reliable out of the box handguns around. Some may disagree but my experience leads me to that place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wound up finding a Colt 1911 limited edition from the Custom Shop that I couldn't live without :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
those are quite nice and relatively rare.

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, it was perfect for me, being a blue/walnut guy. Same with revolvers....I don't own a single stainless revolver.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
1911 carried Cocked and Locked (Condition 1)

My Springfield V16 in 45 Super
[/

My Springfield Pro

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4718 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P220

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1048 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great pistol indeed, unless, as stated before, you are left-handed. Realistically most pistols are right-hand friendly, but the SIG is definitely in that category as there are NO left-handed Germans. The 1911 platform is right-hand friendly, but after a bit of time, us lefties can operate it just fine. All that being said, another good choice is the Para-Ord in 45 ACP w/ dbl stack mag. It is still basically a 1911 on steroids, but still one fine pistol.I would still have mine, but I gave it to my brother-in-law. He loves it.

Posts: 4151 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
I’ve been a dedicated 1911 carrier all my adult life. A couple years ago I got a Glock model 41. It’s considered a competition model but the longer slide and barrel increases sight radius and boosts velocity slightly which can only be beneficial. Even with 13 rounds onboard, it’s lighter than a 1911 and very reliable.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Sig P220, loved it so much I bought a used P245 over the past year!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give the Sig P320 a close look. Best trigger, IMHO, and accurate.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you can find a SIG P220 SAS Gen 2 Carry model, snap it up fast. You will be happy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13364 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
para had a single stack 45 with double action type trigger . called it a LDA light double action. mine is. an officer mod. frame with commander slide. I cary it now over the browning BDA I used on duty. both are just what you are looking for. just my thoughts! watch your topknot

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the P220 as well. I have a steel framed 220 Sport I use for target shooting, but also have a standard fitted slide/barrel to swap out.

The only thing is it's a heavy pistol and bulky in the grip for a single stack, but that's the nature of the beast.

Another alternative would be a CZ variant in 45. They have excellent DA triggers, but I fail to understand the design since without a decocker mechanism you have to chamber and lower the hammer if you want to carry in DA. I assume it was intended for second strike capability in the event of a misfire.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 41. All I can say is it’s one great shooting handgun. Very comfortable to shoot, accurate, and reliable.

Posts: 150 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote