THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Berry’s plated bullets in a .44Magnum

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berry’s plated bullets in a .44Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just given a box Berry’s 240g HPs from a deceased estate but looking at Berry’s website it seems they are better used at lower velocity. Can anyone recommend a safe maximum with 296 that won’t shred the plating or move the others in the cylinder if I follow the recommendation of just a light Lee crimp?

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will be better off with another powder than 296.

For lighter then normal loads in 44 mag.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
You will be better off with another powder than 296.

For lighter then normal loads in 44 mag.

I shoot that bullet using 10 gr Universal. PD is right; 296 is not a good fit.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Fortunately in this day + time (for now) we have a wide variety of powders + manuals to choose from.Berry's does make a good bullet but I have never run any hot loads with their bullets;never saw the need. I do that with my linotype cast.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any plated projectile is a cheap alternative to supply the ignorant P65 compliant states.

I personally wouldn't give you 10 cents for a 20yd end/side dump from any manufactures of plated projectiles.

1/2 thousandths plating & soft lead is a copper streaking,leading mess.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
7 grains of unique and a Berry's good for about 850 fps. You want to keep them under 1000 fps for best results.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I've used Bullseye in light 44 Mag loads with excellent success. I also have a good combination in a 38/357 with plated bullets and W231. Both are well below the 1000fps line and very accurate and comfortable to shoot all day. I'd say start there and see how they do.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd say start there and see how they do.

I think we know "how they do". There has been extensive discussion on Berry's plated bullets on Brian Enos' forum. When they first came out they were used extensively by the IPSC guys trying to make major with 9mm's. The end result was not good, especially in Open guns.
Having said that, Berry's has a newer line of plated bullets out, so one must take care we know which line of bullets is being discussed.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still looking for a use for these projectiles, anyone loading trailboss underneath them for single action type shoots?

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Berry's first opened up in St.George I lived about two blocks away. Being in my early 20's everything was about power and velocity. I loaded up a bunch of Berry's plated in my .44 mag Super red hawk. The velocities were too high for the plated bullets and it left circles of plating in the forcing cone.

They are good for plinking though.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBE:
Still looking for a use for these projectiles, anyone loading trailboss underneath them for single action type shoots?

Load them up and shoot them simple.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for an inexpensive bullet, look at the cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. I shoot them in my .357, .44, .45-70, and .45 ACP (plated, but shoots well).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any load with H110/296 is going to be too much with them.

I have used them a bit with really light .44 magnum loads because my dad enjoys shooting the .44 mag at low end .44 spl velocities.

Used SR 4756 and 231 in the loads I used. Think .38 spl HBWC velocities (at about 700 FPS)

You really need to watch the velocities and pressure though- I cut my thumb on some plating spit out of the cylinder gap with them.

I think I have part of a box of these from way back. I don't use them much- cast bullets are less fussy.

As to SASS events, they insist on lead bullets, and these don't qualify. They really are plinking pullets and not really that good otherwise (as far as the old ones- I have never brought any of the new ones as my experience was so bad- I tried making major with them in USPSA in open guns- when open was 175 PF.- that and using some for bowling pin loads and jamming up revolvers from parts of the plating in the forcing cone. Like you, I had to find a use, and plinking was it.)

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote