THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Max load for a Ruger Super Blackhawk

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Max load for a Ruger Super Blackhawk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted
With a 7.5” barrel and 305 gr. molycoated lead I’m getting 1250 FPS and the empties almost fall out. No barrel leading at all.

On another forum I saw data giving 1350 FPS with a 320gr. FP from a Lyman mould. There was a warning that it should only be used in a Freedom Arms revolver.

What do people here think the safe limit is for these 305’s in this revolver? I’m not hunting, just hitting steel plates.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a 7.5” barrel and 305 gr. molycoated lead I’m getting 1250 FPS and the empties almost fall out. No barrel leading at all.

On another forum I saw data giving 1350 FPS with a 320gr. FP from a Lyman mould. There was a warning that it should only be used in a Freedom Arms revolver.

What do people here think the safe limit is for these 305’s in this revolver? I’m not hunting, just hitting steel plates.

Sounds like you want to push it until it self destructs! I have loaded a 335 grain GC cast bullet in a Vaquero 45LC to 1193 ft/sec and that was as hot of load as I was comfortable in that revolver, recoil wise and probably safety wise also. I had no load data to reference and just flew by the seat of my pants, so to speak, and I found the accuracy node at that speed and quit before bad things started happening.

BTW, my powder charge was 23.5 grains of H110.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1185 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frist off you haven't told us what powder your using.

With a book max load of H110 and a 315gr hard cast WFN gas checked bullet.

Out of 5 different 44s revolvers 5.5s in. 1320fps 3 7.5s in. 1250 to 1275s 4in 1150fps.

Out of my 44 14in contender I get 1500fps.

Out of my 44 30oz tracker I use a load of herco for just over a 1000fps with the 315 bullet.

The H110 load is just to much a good of thing in the tracker.

I can tell you a 315gr wfn hard cast 44 bullet at 950fps has no problem shooting in one side out the other side of a 300 pound black bear.

Then the 1250 to 1300fps well shoot though 4 foot of black bear.

Seems to me the velocity your getting is right in the ball park.

I limit my 460S@W 300gr to 1550fps even though the book one can go a lot faster.

I guess I hit my recoil limit of a 300 315gr bullet of around 1500fps.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Thanks p dog, lots of good info there.

I’m using 17 gr of AA #9 and with these 305 hard cast I’m getting 1250 FPS out of my 7.5” Super Blackhawk and 1190 FPS out of my 6” 629. I’m told that’s a bit heavy for my 629-5, even though half of the empties just fall out.

Regarding my Ruger, I’m not trying to disassemble it, just want to get max performance out of it. Also, I don’t see any leading at all, either revolver.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you might have maxed out #9. Might need something a bit slower like #11. There's always H110 and 2400 top play with.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fun to watch you young guys still running the hot stuff. I'm "mature" enough that a 260-grain slug running at about 1,000 feels just right. That said, not a darned thing wrong in wanting to know what your SBH can handle safely.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16279 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fun to watch you young guys still running the hot stuff. I'm "mature" enough that a 260-grain slug running at about 1,000 feels just right.

What is young Bill.

I wish I qualified but being over 60 I most likely don't

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
P Dog, I'll be 66 in a few weeks, and have the arthritis to prove it.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16279 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At 62 I 'am just baby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll be 68 in april and shoot my 5.5"bbl BFR in 45-70 with 405 GC wheel weight specials. after a few rds my throwing finger that sits behind the trigger guard throbs like hell for a few nights. and thats with "light" loads. and we have the same old discussion that night at home as i ice my hand down. WHY?? because i can. THATS NOT A REASON!! because i can. STUPID! because i can. who says its not fun getting old.

Posts: 1530 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Hell,I'm 64 + enjoy my revolvers at max. performance + that quite often means increased powder charges.(within reason).The rifles are another matter for me now as after years of firing the thumpers I developed a detached retina that was quite pricey to fix.But back to the revolvers;I just posted on the misc. forum some pics of my custom Keith #5. Someone on one of the forums wanted to see some pics + this is the 1st chance I had to post them,I hope you enjoy them.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like that response, "half of the cases just fall out" that means to me the other half are sticking????? must be a tad over the top I suspect, and for what 50 FPS or less?? to what purpose is that?

PLease, you kids are making me feel older n shit.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I shot in a mixed fun match with 26
shooters. Several had scopes on their guns. I'd never shot a handgun with a scope before.

After the games were done, one of them with a SBH and scope came to ask if I'd shoot his last five shells as he was hitting all over a 4' sq target at 50 yds.

I fired them, felt like mighty hot loads to me. Had a 4" group one hand. "Mike, can't tell you what's wrong but, it's not your gun and loads" "what's the load it seems hot to me?"

"25gr H110, 250 gr cast hard". When I got home I looked it up. Seems like it was listed as max at 23gr. No damn wonder if felt hot.

I shoot a .45 Colt with both 250 and 320s. 20gr H110 is about all the recoil I want when shooting a bunch, say over 50 shots, sometimes 100 in a couple hours session.

I've tried 25gr but, it's just too much Twist to my wrist.

What surprised me most is the same charge is within 50fps with both bullets.

Geoge

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I must be getting old too. I always thought that the object of shooting a handgun was to hit what you were aiming at, rather than missing with great authority!
Just checked my targets. 20.5 grs. H110 and 300gr. LSWC shoot very well in both my Ruger SBH and my S&W 629. I did not chronograph these, just looking for an accurate, fairly heavy, hunting load.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess I must be getting old too. I always thought that the object of shooting a handgun was to hit what you were aiming at, rather than missing with great authority!

Yep, who cares about loading to max?
Kinda like taking your new sports car out and trying to float the valves on the first run.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to prove. I am happy with my load of 22G. o 2400 using a Keith 250 G. cast linotype @ 1250 MV. In my Keith # 5 it will cloverleaf @ 50 yds. offhand. I have friends that are of that other mindset as well; I.E. I took that shot at 1100 yds, etc. My thoughts are that you should get close + that is hunting IMO but not brag about a shot at game from beyond the horizon. But that's just me. When I was into bowhunting 35 years ago my desire was to get close enough to slap the deer on the ass w/o being noticed. I managed to do it twice; I'm proud of that. Of course I didn't stick an arrow at that time; that was only a personal test.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I could have slapped a deer once but decided when he got really close I HAD to shoot him. He was dragging a shot off fore leg. Would have to give him some steps away as I didn't want to leave a burn mark. My son and a buddy would have never let me forget that. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im ok with max loads in rifles, in pistols I never understood the reasoning, they sure don't kill by velocity, they depend on mass and cross section that creates penetration, and sometimes too much velocity voids that needed penetration..

Im sure the Ruger Super Blackhawk will take more pressure than say a S&W, all things even, but whats the point all you will have is paper balistics and that pretty much "BS in print"

That said all have the right to proceed as wished..Its fun and games I suspect.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to let us know when it lets go...if you still have fingers to type or eyes to see...

holycow

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter

You and me both.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never bothered answering this post.

Too stupid to even think about it!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66694 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for the steel plate, he done you nada!
dancing

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120