THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Does anyone have a Rock Island Armory 1911 in .22 TCM?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have a Rock Island Armory 1911 in .22 TCM?
 Login/Join

posted
It looks like an intriguing little cartridge - 40gr. V-Max @ 2100fps from a 5.5" barrel.

Double-stack magazines allow for a lot of fun plinking, or it might just the thing for hunting jackrabbits in the desert.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, but they do look intriguing. The combo pistol with the 9mm barrel is only $600, but I don't know where to find the ammo.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
should give the FN5mm a run for its money

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have sold several in our store. Folks seem to like the pistol a lot. I took one home to try it out, I really liked the way it shot. Being able to change to 9mm a plus also. There is also a rifle from Rock Island in the same caliber. Ammo has not been a problem from our suppliers. Reloading dies are also available.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
impala#03,

Thanks for your reply. Did you shoot the single-stack or double-stack version?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi George,

I shot the double stack. Seemed to shoot fine, have had one person say it jammed occasionally when the magazine was getting low. Did not do that when I shot one. Limp wristing the pistol is probably the problem.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd start any new shooter out with a .22LR. Practice will be inexpensive, fun (when reactive targets are used), and it has negligible recoil.

The blast and fireball from a .22 TCM might be disconcerting to a new shooter, especially indoors. I'd use it for jackrabbits and plinking, and stick with the 9mm for home defense (after familiarization and practice) if a rifle or shotgun is not available.

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One year old but alive again! I decided to get one but haven't got the pistol yet. When I do I'll post some experiences with it. I have bought cases and bullets from The Ammo Supply Warehouse (www.ammosupplywarehouse.com). Cases and bullets are dirt cheap as in $59.99 for 1000 40 gr bullets and $183.00 for 1000 new unprimed cases. They also have a lot of factory ammo.

They sell the Hornady three die set (sizer, seater and case mouth expander) for $75 bucks or so but you can get the Lee Pacesetter two die set on sale at Midway for about $32 and a Lee universal case mouth expander (22 to 45 caliber inserts) for $15. The die set comes with a shell holder but they don't say if it's the standard #4 for 223 or a dedicated 22 TCM for the different rim (see below). All reports say belling the case mouth is necessary to prevent crushed cases.

People report better velocities and reduced muzzle flash with Lil' Gun instead of H110 or 296. Claiming starting loads of 10 grains and max at 11 plus a few tenths. That's unconfirmed forum chatter so user beware!

Every review and youtube article stresses the muzzle flash of factory loads. I wouldn't be surprised if the dramatic muzzle flash from factory loads is intentional to add drama, lol.

A couple of technical notes that matter a little; the original round was derived from the 223 case so external dimensions are similar in diameter at the rim and web BUT the rim was thickened so that one extractor would function well on the 22 TCM/9MM combo package. If you just have have to make your own cases from 223 you will probably need to tune the extractor normally found on a 9MM slide for the thin rim or failures to extract may happen.

Second, the magazines used for the double and single stack guns are 38 Super magazines with the lips widened just a hair but Ammo Supply Warehouse sells the right ones so cheap it's kinda pointless to put yourself through the trouble.

FWIW they also sell just a conversion slide kit for any standard 1911 pistols and one each for the Glock 17 and 23.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have it in a bolt action rifle and it is a ball to shoot. My first rifle would turn in 6 inch groups at 50 yds. the second one has been doing 1.5 inches at 100 yds. My brass was splitting necks on the first firing so they (Armscor USA)sent a return label for the brass and said as soon as it was received they would send out my new brass, they got my brass 2 weeks ago and my new brass isn't here yet. Sent them an e-mail last week and they said my brass was on it's way, I requested a tracking number but haven't received it yet either.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got a T/C carbine in.22 K-Hornet (higher velocities) so I wasn't in the market for a rifle, but the pistol sounds like fun.

George

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to think that myself.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Pick mine up tomorrow, George! I bought the 9mm/22 TCM combo and got delayed on the background check ( third in a row). I have a few hundred rounds loaded and should be able to post some first hand results later.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You are the man, Harry! tu2

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
back from the range. Good news and bad. All good news on the gun; very pleased at the way it ran. Bad news is my Lee dies. More about that later. The gun functioned flawlessly with 9mm; 200 rounds without a hitch first time out of the box. Butter smooth and good trigger at any price.

The Lee seater die is such that the top has to be screwed tight to seat deep enough for proper fit in the magazine but it hits the crimp shelf so hard about half the rounds had shoulder bulge and wouldn't chamber completely. Easy to fix but the bulge was so slight you didn't notice it with the eye.

Back to the gun; I got the double stack model. Comfortable to my hand, good sight picture and great trigger. No complaints yet on the weapon. The rounds have no recoil. Next time will take a supply of watermelon.

Also shot my new Glock 40 MOS. Probably as good as Glock gets but it will be a while before I really warm up to it. I will always in the back of my mind wish I had bought the EEA Witness Hunter 10MM until I do.

Shot my Noreen 50 MG first time but that's a different forum as is the new 300 Blackout. Wife retires in September so I had to fill the firearm bucket list on an accelerated schedule Cool

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
New rifle is turning in some very nice groups now. RIA sent me 400 rounds of brass for the 200 rounds I sent in. I guess it might be a peace offering as I was a little steamed with them, a two week transaction turned into almost six weeks. They sent my first round of brass to someone else and when I informed them they they were going to make me wait until they got the brass back from the other individual and then send it to me, I said good customer service would be to just send me some brass and then they worry about trying to get the brass from the other person. Anyway I got my new brass and it seems to be holding up and not splitting the necks. I'll have to look into the 1911 except I would like one of the single stack models.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
All I need now is a 30 Luger barrel. FWIW I got off about 30 rounds before clearing the gun got boring but no split necks or other brass issues. Should be able to do a full range report after this weekend.

posted Hide Post
Harry,

Is that the 4.25" barrel version, or 5"?

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
5. Weather permitting I will get chrono data too.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The other detail I like is they turned the barrel OD between the hood and the muzzle to maintain the weight and balance of a larger bore 1911.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Second range trip. The first outing was my fault and didn't deserve a report; I collapsed the shoulders from not flaring the case mouth and too many failure to chamber problems. Invisible to the eye until you see the bright ring on the shoulder junction so these chambers are pretty spot-on.

Problems this time too, probably also of my own making. The first magazine functioned flawlessly but accuracy bad, even for me. With the second mag I had almost every other round fail to fire without a re-cock. Feeding, extraction and ejection were 100% and very positive. I looked at my cases later and the primers show swiping. I think a flake of plating or other primer particle made its way into the firing pin channel and is causing the misfire. Also I think I'm a tad too hot for the 1911 platform. First time out, factory nines ran like clockwork. Interestingly my Glock 10MM shows the same swiping with factory ammo. Underwood is pretty hot so that may be why.

It's off to their site for a couple of boxes of factory ammo so I can get a baseline and compare to the fired 9MM cases that were so reliable to fired factory to my reloads.

No chrono 'cause my tripod crapped out but next time I'll have my third edition and compare factory speeds.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
To date not impressed with my gun. Round is fine. Too much side to side play and cannot find a load in either caliber that shoots as well as it should. Full 9" pie plate at 25 yds. I'm sending it back to Rock Island to make sure it is within factory specs. If so, accuracy will be hit or miss. I don't think this reflects all RI guns. At least I hope not.

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that.

On a lark, I bought an RIA 10mm Ultra FS but it dropped the magazine on every shot. I sent it back to RIA (they're ~55 miles from here) and had it back in eight days (including shipping time) completely fixed.

They replaced the magazine catch, and installed a ramped barrel.

I'm going to pick up a 9mm/.22 TCM combo, but haven't decided whether I want a singe- or double-stack version.

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't expect mine is representative of the herd. And based on all I've read I'm thinking they will respond positively. If not, I'll bubba the thing up until it either shoots or makes a good red snapper jig weight. Big Grin

FWIW I find the double stack grip to be very good. Different than a 1911 by any measure but just as good in it's own ways. And a single stack 9MM is way too much loading and not enough shooting for me. For reasons that don't make a lot of sense, I don't feel the same way about a 45.

I will add that the velocity claims for the 22TCM are legit.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
And a single stack 9MM is way too much loading and not enough shooting for me.

Haha! I love it!

George

posted Hide Post
Well, I picked up the single-stack the other day. It's the model with the additional 9mm barrel and recoil spring.

I fired it a bit today and it did well:

This was with the Armscor 40gr. JHP, and the flyer was due to a gust of wind moving me.

GEorge

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice George!

posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm going to try shooting from a rest next time;; hopefully, I will get a better idea of the gun's accuracy potential.

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Much better than mine, George. Glad it's working out.

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
I try to keep up on most cartridges. I was standing in a local gunshop and saw the handgun sitting there. I am a huge fan of the 1911 but have never owned a Rock Island Armoury handgun. The chambering made me currious. It was a double stack and also came with the 9mm barrel. I have been kicking around the idea of picking it up.

They had a bunch of .22 TCM ammo for 21.00 bucks a box(50).

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Smack,

The model I bought has the fiber optic front sight, ambidextrous safety, mag well, and G10 grips.

I made the mistake of letting my wife shoot it and she REALLY likes shooting it in both chamberings. I'm going to have to get another pistol for her to use. Big Grin

George