New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 25-5
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have 2 rugers in 45 colt, a vaquero and a blackhawk bisley, both of which beat the hell out of my middle finger behind the trigger guard. looked high and low for after market grips. don't exist. holding lower on grips doesn't help. so considering a 25-5 if one is even to be found. i am assuming that i won't have that same problem due to grip design? yes/no?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of N frames, never had a problem with recoil and the target grips. I do own a 25-2 that I have used 45 years for bullseye shooting. What kind of loads are you shooting? That has as big an effect as the grip shape. The Smith Target will not bang you, even when I am shooting 300 grain max load 44 mags in my 3 inch 29.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have really tamped down the loads to see if it helps. it does, very little. i load 225 cast keith and 250 RNFP over 6.5 to 8 gr unique. my hands are the real problem, but don't want to even consider quitting shooting.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
read about the 25.5 and cylinder throat size.

I wish I bought a 625 5" when they came out. wouldn't touch one now. $$$$$$

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have one in the safe. I haven't checked prices in years but I'll bet they're out of sight.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
read about the 25.5 and cylinder throat size.

I wish I bought a 625 5" when they came out. wouldn't touch one now. $$$$$$

thanks for the heads up. have added it to the list of all the other things i was unaware of

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That got me to thinking as I don't get into the safe that often, but you bet, she was still there. S/S, 5" bbl. 625-2 under the crane + stamped on the full underlugged bbl. Model of 1988. This one is in 45 ACP BTW, using the moon clips or auto-rim.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
i have really tamped down the loads to see if it helps. it does, very little. i load 225 cast keith and 250 RNFP over 6.5 to 8 gr unique. my hands are the real problem, but don't want to even consider quitting shooting.

Certainly not hot loads. Maybe try something like a Pachmyer grip that is a bit more padded.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wish! i have contacted pachymer, hogue etc. no one makes rubber grips for a bisley

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John I have this problem with Remington New Model Army percussion revolvers. My hand geometry is simply wrong for this revolver.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me as well, but the Colt design on the 1851 fits perfect.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 25s in 45 Colt with 6 inch and 4 inch. barrel. Both had the ramp front sight replaced with patridge, cylinder mouth uniformed to 1/1000 th of each other and 2.1,000th greater then the forcing cone of the barrel. A Then there's a 625 45 Colt that just does not feel right, not sure just what the problem is. And the lonely hanger queen Mod 25 6 inch, waiting to be called out to fill some nitch later. All of my model 25s thrive on 255 grain wheel weights, sized .454, LBT lube, 9.0- 9.5 grains of Unique, Winchester primers, and Starline brass. The model

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote