New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 5906
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple days ago I bought one, supposed to be at the dealer on Tuesday, i'm like a kid on Christmas eve.
This is one of the last all steel(stainless) 9m/m's.
Comments welcome.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with them full sized autos that work are very useful.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did quite a bit of research before I bought it. Smith made three series of these starting with the 39/59's and made changes along the way and the 5906 has all the updates. Anyway for $349 shipped, I had to have one.
These are police dept trade ins,we'll see tuesday what I bought into. Of all the reviews I read, the only negative was the weight(40oz)empty. Thanks for your input.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The third gen 39/59 S@W series autos work well

I used a 3913 for decades now and have no complainant's.

All steel pistols tend to be heavy.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter,
I had a nickle plated 39 back in the day. Mine had an alloy frame and the nickle started to flake on the slide which was steel. I should have sent it back to S&W but thats all history now.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
The third gen 39/59 S@W series autos work well

I used a 3913 for decades now and have no complainant's.

All steel pistols tend to be heavy.

But they last longer.

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I received my 5906 yesterday and other than some holster wear(plastic holster i'm thinking) I like it, and although I haven't shot it yet I don't see any problems as the gun looks as if it has been shot very little. Well worth $349.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned my 5906 for about 30 years and it still is tight and shows relatively little wear. They are great pistols for a 9mm.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stepchild, I doubt whether many pistols, other than target pistols are shot much! The "holster wear" should clean off a stainless gun quite easily, as it is not wear at all, just a transfer of plastic! I have a S&W 659 and love the gun. I did have BarSto fit one of their barrels to it and it shoots very well.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,
We got around to shooting the 5906 yesterday and although it's certainly not a bullseye gun it funtioned perfectly using commercial reloads and some Norma 115gr HP's. It shot about 6" low with both loads but more than adequate for it's intended purpose. The fixed 3 dot sights leave a bit to be desired and I may put adjustable sights on it. It ran rapid fire without a hiccup.
To sum up the range report, my Son wants me to order a 5906 for himself.
Thanks for all the input.
Peter, The holster wear is limited to shine marks on the slide, which I can live with. What springs should I change to lighten the trigger pull?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
I have owned my 5906 for about 30 years and it still is tight and shows relatively little wear. They are great pistols for a 9mm.

Mike, These guns are very well built and should last a lifetime and then some. This gun was absent of any lubrication, not anymore.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry stepchild I can't help with the springs question. My gun is a first round DA rest SA, if the hammer is down. It can be carried cocked though, in which case the first round is SA. Too big to carry concealed though.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
After reading your praise on the 659 I was going to buy one instead of the 5906 but the dealer these guns are coming from had one listed but it was sold, so it's going be another 5906.
I guess I can get the springs from Brownell's.
These guns are the best deal in the used market,
in my opinion.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well thank you stepchild 2 for reminding me that I have this gun. I plan on taking it out to the range for the first time in a long time!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I thought about putting adjustable sights on this one but no one makes them for these guns.
Williams Gun Sight, Millett, Brownell's and no one that I could find makes them.
The reason for the sight change is because this gun shoots about 6" low. I guess i'll live with it and aim accordingly.
I have another 5906 coming, my Son just couldn't live without mine. My dies(RCBS carbide) came yesterday so i'll see if I can keep up the kids ammo usage.
In Sierra's 5th edition manual they show 5gr. of Bullseye and a 90gr HP going 1250 and the same load is shown as their accuracy load, i'll be trying that one. 1400 loads from a pound of powder ain't too shabby.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

Mike,
I think a slight correction is in order,it's not FOR a 9m/m, it's Because it's a 9m/m

Stepchild

NRA Life Member