New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel vs aluminum frame
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In regards to frame material in 1911 type handgun. Life expectancy of a steel frame will be longer than an aluminum frame. Can any of you folks put a number to the difference?

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dick

I have been using the same Colt Commander [the one most people call the Lightweight Commander] since the early 1970's. It has the Aluminium frame.

I have shot this handgun several thousand times.
I have used it at work for a backup gun, and as an off duty gun.

I have jumped out of airplanes with it, and I have carried it under water.
I was carrying it the day I was married.

I have shot a lot of living things with it, including one deer, several mountain grouse, other small game for the pot and snakes with the CCI/Speer shotshells.

I have carried it when backpacking and fishing in big bear country, and when bear hunting too.

Bottom line is, I would not pick an aluminium framed 1911 for an IPSC or an IDPA competition gun, but for a Carry 1911, even if it gets shot a LOT, I think the aluminium frame will not be a concern...

Do not remember for sure, but chances are the last time we shot together, I was wearing it...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they use the original AL alloy or are using a Scandium -aluminum alloy like some S&Ws ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony

Thanks for the info. The answers I have received on this question have been all over the place. I have had more than one gentleman say 1,500 rounds max on an aluminum frame. Not sure what guns or ammo they were shooting but I don’t think that is much of a life span for a 1911. Still doing my due-diligence but it’s looking like aluminum.

Enjoyed the Australia report (still living my hunting life through you). Hope you and yours are doing well.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dick

I can assure you I have well over 1500 rounds through this Colt, and it still shoots great.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Dick

You should expect more than adequate service life out of an alloy framed 1911 if you are using it for concealed carry, general law enforcement use, as a backup, or a "fun gun". But I would not recommend it for any high volume shooting use. It should be fine for several thousand rounds.

I am a true believer in steel framed pistols. I own two full frame 1911s and they are built to take just about any sort of use and abuse. But I carry a New Agent under my coat 5 days a week and then some. I practice with it occassionally and I qualify with it. That only amounts to about 300 rounds per year. The ergonomics are the same as my other 1911s. I shoot those more and the proficency carries over to the New Agent. I was having aches and pains from constant carrying of the full frame guns. For concealed carry, especially day in and day out, alloy is the way to go.

Choose a good one. I carry a Colt but there are other well made brands. Just don't go cheap.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does depend on initial quality. I have built competition guns on both. Aluminum frame usually good for 30-40k rounds, steel 60-150k rounds. for any kind of normal use, don't worry about it

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier the Colt New Agent 1911 is a slick little carry gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the "Tupper Ware" guns and their life span?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
What about the "Tupper Ware" guns and their life span?

Stepcpagehild

Random facts.
A SIG 226 will shoot around 20,000 rounds before the frame rails break.
I have shot a couple of Glocks over 67,000 rounds each with no problems.

I have also shot a couple of 1911's in 45 ACP over 100,000 rounds each.

Some handgun designs are just more rugged than others

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but Glocks are more 'rugged' than 1911's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know they are popular but they just don't trip my trigger. All steel works for me.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a commander for year and when I finally retired it, I had 2 1911s built up on Caspian titanium frames. They are not quite as light as aluminium but as strong as steel. I find them the perfect compromise.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, and in my personal shooting experience, I do not think any semiauto can come close to a 1911.

The Glock 17's are pretty good guns. There had been some problems with the 40's. I hace personally seen a few of the metal recoil inserts break.

I do not know anyone that has shot the 45ACP Glocks enough to allow me to form an opinion on their service life.

There have been many, many times that I shot over 1000 rounds a day, sometimes for 5 to 10 days in a row through a Glock 17, 9mm.

The only part I ever broke on a Glock was the trigger return spring.

This was sometime durring a 50 round Official Qualification. I had cleaned and lubed the gun the night before and it was discovered after the qualification, when cleaning the gun.
The gun had shot the 50 rounds with no problems.