THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Ruger SP101/.357 mag - good carry weapon?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SP101/.357 mag - good carry weapon?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,
After much thought, I am hanging up my colt 1911 for a revolver (for concealed carry). How does the ruger sp101 in .357 rate? Any opinions?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Ruger fan (1GP-141, 2 MK-II .22's, 1 10-22). I was going to get 2 SP-101's but bought Taurus 605's instead. Nothing against the Ruger but the Taurus was less expensive. My wife and I both have one and we have no complaints. Why the change from semi-auto to revolver?

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 1911, but it's a full size model 80. I've carried it for 6 years, and am getting tired of the weight. It's not an optimum conceal weapon, either. I need something more pocket friendly.

A friend of mine had a sp101 in 357, and I liked it alot when I shot it. The only drawback I thought was the incredible muzzle blast/flash using 'full house' loads.

Revolvers also seem less mechanically complicated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found it to be a very good carry revolver. The only drawaback I have found is the hammer sticks into my skin when I carry it cross draw concealed. For that type of carry, I prefer my 642.

Catmandu

Posts: 109 | Location: NE,TN | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Catmandu:
I have found it to be a very good carry revolver. The only drawaback I have found is the hammer sticks into my skin when I carry it cross draw concealed. For that type of carry, I prefer my 642.

Catmandu

I wonder if hammerless would take care that?

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Perfect choice.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
One word, titanium.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
All good reasons, my 1911's have never been carried for the same reason. Started off with a Makarov, not bad to carry, slow to reload, marginal power but it's what I had. Hammerless or shaved would be a nice option on a revolver. Jack has point for weight shaving.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried a Ruger SS for years on the job. I like revolvers. If you can get the job done with 5 or six rounds a revolver is a joy to use.

But that said I carry a clock 23 most of the time now. But my woods gun is a Ti 41 mag. with 5 shots. But then I have been know to carry my 5.5in redhawk also. But my S@W 3913 goes a lot of places also.

No one gun is right for all situations. That is why one picks the one he thinks well be the best at the time.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a ruger service six 3" barrel and found pmc 150 grain starfire the most comfortable 357 mag factory load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Wink