Find
Notify
Tools

327 Federal Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
What can anybody tell me about the new .327 Federal Magnum cartridge? I may not even have the correct name but I hear Ruger is going to chamber the SP101 in this new cartridge.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's an article from Shooting Times Magazine on the www.federalcartridge.com site. It will probably fail just like the similar 32 Mag !..I assume it will have the same very loud muzzle blast of the 30 carbine, hot 32-20, 32 Mag.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
There have been several postings on the Rugerforum.com about this.

Many seem interested, although pistol loonies are even worse than rifle loonies.

I am a little of both. for a while I have been keeping my eye out for a 32 H&R just as a field carry gun to play with. If the 327 magnum takes off a little, I just might have to try that instead. I think with Federal coming out right away with 3 loads, it has a chance. I would bet that Taurus and S&W will follow shortly. Nice thing is that you can shoot 32 H&R and 32 S&W out of the 327 mag gun.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, its claim to fame is to be able to manufacture a 6 round revolver (rather than a 5 round revolver) in a small, back-up type of package, with superior ballistics. Too bad about the noise of course. But does that really bother any of us (I mean you and me and the other loonies)?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noise ? I still remember when Ruger came out with the 30 carbine revolver.I was at a range where everyone was shooting handguns ,from 22 to44 mag and everyone was used to the sounds. Suddenly there was an incredible sound ,sharp very loud ,piercing right through our ear protectors.We all put down our guns and asked 'what was that? '. Eeker It was the 30 carbine !!! Stick to the 38 special or 357 mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think it will be a nice modern replacement for a 32/20. i have 2 nice 32/20's colt army special and a s@w hand ejector. the ruger sp 101 with adjustible sights and a 4 or 5 inch barrel would be nice, or a s@w "K" frame.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If S&W decides to chamber a few revolvers in this new caliber I'm going to guess they'll do it in a six-shot J frame, like a kit gun with a little more oomph.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wink; a J frame six shot adjustible sighted 4" barrel would be better than the K frame.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Start out with the 32 S&W, lengthen a little to get the 32 S&W Long, lengthen a little more to get the 32 H&R Magnum, lengthen some more to get the .327 Federal Mag.

Makes no sense to me at all, especially the 327 part. Since it can shoot all the shorter cartridges, the bullets are still a nominal .313." Did they just pull "327" out of a magician's hat like a fuzzy bunny? Or did they plan to denigrate the 327 C. I. chevy engine too, while they were at it?

Be on the lookout for the newest exploitation video, "FEDERAL, HORNADY and RUGER GONE WILD!!!!!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'm interesting in seeing one i too was one that if a good deal came along on 32 h&r i would of bought it but i will wait and see the 327.Maybe replace that old police positive in 32 s&w i leave near my mom she's 75 and atleast i think the 32 won't break her wrist if she needs to use it

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a fun cartridge for field pistol in sillouettes. It actually raised my eyebrows and not many new wonderbangs do. I am curious dancing

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I don't understand this. If the 327 is indeed similar to the 30 Carbine, which I own in an AMT model, then it will lose a lot of velocity in a short barrel configuration.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 32 H&R mag pistols that I already load to 327 mag specs.I shoot two Ruger Single Six 32 mags and two Dan Wessons in 32 mag.The Dan wesson 32 mags have shot 1" groups at 100 yards which is pretty awesome.I am thinking of rechambering one of them to the 327 but we will see.The carbine speeds of the 327 mag are awesome.I love wacking snowshoe hairs with my 32 vmags.I like shooting 115 gr hardcast in my single six rugers.I hope it takes off.It marlin adds a lever action it would be nice.Dont knock the 32 mags till you try them they are alot of fun.With cast bullets its almost as cheap as a 22 to shoot.I have shot my 32 mags thousands of times.My 32 maG dAN WESSONS have 2.75",4".6" and 8 " barrels pretty awesome.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another contribution to what the late Jeff Cooper would call a non-solution to a non-existant problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so are all the cartridges that have been inventer in the last 50 years. but that doesnt mean that they dont have a place in our safes. 32 mag sounds pretty cool to me. i like loud guns

Posts: 165 | Location: michigan | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another fun cartridge to me. Do we "need" it, probably not, but what's that got to do with shooting and having fun? Based on "need" there wouldn't be but about 4 or 5 cartridges around. (hmmm, probably a good thread topic....let's see, .22 LR, .44 mag, (that covers the pistol boys up and down, plus a lot of rifle shooters) .30-06 and something for the big toothy stuff.....say a .458 Lott. Ok, I've got it down to 4, but we might need a small CF in there, say a .223, that's 5, don't invent anymore...... Big Grin......Wait....what about my beloved .300 Win Mag and, and.....)

I'll be happy to buy the .327 Mag in a Marlin 94 or some easy to carry revolver such as a 5 shot single six. Bring it on.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been needing a .327 forever.
It is a
1. Small caliber so it can be used in small framed rifles and handguns.
2. It has a rim so it will work in single shot rifles.
3. Inexpensive cast bullets
4. Very little powder required
5. Straight wall case meaning you get to use carbide dies and no lube required

It should be easy to shoot and easy to load.
That means a lot of fun.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought I would revive this thread.
I have 3 327 Federal revolvers and 2 H&R Magnums. The Mrs. plinks with 32 S&W in the 32 H&R and I plink with the 32 H&Rs in my 327's (Ruger and Taurus)
Next up a single shot in 327 Federal that can handle the pressures of 2000 fpm loads.
Any suggestions?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RJM.@Jax.FL:
Thought I would revive this thread.
I have 3 327 Federal revolvers and 2 H&R Magnums. The Mrs. plinks with 32 S&W in the 32 H&R and I plink with the 32 H&Rs in my 327's (Ruger and Taurus)
Next up a single shot in 327 Federal that can handle the pressures of 2000 fpm loads.
Any suggestions?

Years ago, I had a BF falling block 97D rifle made up in .32 H&R. I was loading it to propel a 115 gr GCFP to 2000 fps. A healthy dose of H110 was required. these cartridges had bullets seated out longer so they would not chamber in a revolver.

they could probably make you the same in either pistol or rifle form chambered in .327.

I still have the rifle as well as 3 single sixes in .32 H&R, a single seven in .327 and a blackhawk in .327. Lotsa fun.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote