Tools

Colt SSA third click?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
I know nothing about handguns so a question:

What is the third click when cocking the hammer on a Colt SAA?

I just purchased a first generation .32-20. the first click of the hammer is the safety. The second click releases the cylinder so it will spin to load or unload. The fourth click locks the cyliner so it is ready to fire.

But, what is the third click for? After the third click the hammer moves forward to the second click position. The cylinder locks after a slight movement.

Thanks for yor time.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I think the four clicks you hear are: first click is bolt dropping (as you said, allowing cylinder to move), then passing half cock notch on hammer, then bolt rising and engaging cylinder and last is sear engaging full-cock notch.

Posts: 1717 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I always liked those clicks. There's nothing like the sound of authenticity. Cal even though you were selling the 32-20 brass since you still have the Colt I assume you still want that ammo. I'm holding it for you until you come down in the spring.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I always liked those clicks. There's nothing like the sound of authenticity. Cal even though you were selling the 32-20 brass since you still have the Colt I assume you still want that ammo. I'm holding it for you until you come down in the spring.

ski1: thanks for the info.
NC: I have a .32-20 in an 1873 Winchester and a just purchased SAA. I found 800 brass cases and sold half as I will never use that many. I will be down in the spring if I can get away (mom, 92, had a stroke and she comes home the end of October and I and a hire will care for her).
Cheers, gents,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Let me know when you're going to be here + an address + I'll send them to you. Best, R.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always liked those clicks. There's nothing like the sound of authenticity.

Yes indeed!! tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Five Clicks:
Ok, here is what you are hearing; I have owned SAAs since 68; first one was a Ruger Single Six. Until 73 they were like Colts. At least 20 of them or so.
First click: Trigger falls past "safety" notch.
Second click: Trigger falls past half-cock notch.
Third click: Cylinder bolt is released and hits the cylinder.
Fourth click: Trigger falls into the full-cock notch.
Fifth click: You may or may not hear: Locking bolt falls into a cylinder notch. This click is so close to, or in concert with, full cock that you might not hear it. Depends on how it is timed, or worn.

Posts: 17017 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skip the 2nd click, thats the so called safety and not to be used, Any colt SAA is a 5 shot gun with the fireing pin on an empty chamber..The 32-20 is the loudest round Ive ever shot, especially with the rifle ammo!!nobody ever told me it wasn't ment for pisols, nobody knew that back in the day!! Never saw one come apart of fail, those thick cylender held up just fine!! stir Confused

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For some reason the 32-20 found me over the years
and have more than my share of
Win mod 73
Win mod 92
Marlin mod 94
Colt SAA 2nd Gen
S&W Hand Ejector
Colt Police Pos

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
I know nothing about handguns so a question:

What is the third click when cocking the hammer on a Colt SAA?

I just purchased a first generation .32-20. the first click of the hammer is the safety. The second click releases the cylinder so it will spin to load or unload. The fourth click locks the cyliner so it is ready to fire.

But, what is the third click for? After the third click the hammer moves forward to the second click position. The cylinder locks after a slight movement.

Thanks for yor time.
Cal

The third click is the releasing of the cylinder lock~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wanted a Rem mod 25 pump carbine in 32-20, neat little guns..Had one for years growing up in 25-20, but it was such a poor killer I swapped it for a win 92 in 32-20....Today ammo and components would bother me,and I wouldn't buy one for that reason..I feel the same about my win 71 and Marlin 95, as much as I like them, Ive about had it..Just use my 30-30 and my 25-35 that I have tons of ammo for..Just speaking for myself...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Skip the 2nd click, thats the so called safety and not to be used, Any colt SAA is a 5 shot gun with the fireing pin on an empty chamber

I agree beer

Even though there were lots of firearms with half cocks, the half cock system is full of risks. For both the Colt SAA and the Colt 1911, you cannot see the sear go into the half cock. The sear maybe balancing on the edge of the half cock, not in the notch. And then, you cannot see if the half cock is worn. Once in the half cock, I believe a good blow can shear the sear an the revolver would fire.

I do recommend, at the range, load six rounds and lower the hammer on a live round. Then, hit the hammer with a soft piece of wood. The pistol will discharge. You can in fact, experiment with blow force. At the end, I will be convinced you will understand how dangerous it was to carry those things with six rounds and the hammer down. A Colt SAA mechanism, loaded with six rounds, will discharge if it falls out of the holster and hits the hammer. Elmer Keith recounted an example of brush raising the hammer, and when the hammer fell, the round fired.

I remember reading a 1960's American Rifleman dope bag submission. The writer was on a horse, hunting deep in the woods of Alaska. Something hit the hammer of his three screw Ruger 44 Magnum Superblackhawk.

The pistol discharged through his thigh, like the long way. The writer had a 20 mile trek to get to civilization. If the hammer on a three screw is lowered, the firing pin rests on the primer of the round in front of it. Same precautions about loading five and leaving an empty under a stock three screw apply.

Even by 1908, makers are advertising their transfer bar systems as being safer.