Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Island 14 shot 45ACP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any thoughts on these?

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had a couple of the hi cap 45's (not the rock island one) and got rid of them. worked fine but big, heavy and clumsy definitely not for someone with small hands

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
Rock Island 1911's have good reviews for value and performance. I was impressed by the 10mm I ordered for a customer.
One wide body advantage, at least in my hands, is that the recoil is spread over a larger area of the palm; I can really tell the difference when going back to a standard 1911 and feeling a more concentrated jolt. I do not have long fingers and can only reach the trigger with the end of my finger, and cannot hit the mag release without using the other hand. However, I have no problems with controlled one hand fire. For me the biggest negatives relate to comfortable and cc, its harder to make either work.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Own 2 RIA 14 shot 45ACPs now. Love them accurate and reliable. Tight fit on both. Shoot as well as my Colt, which I rebuilt. Nice guns for the value.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they take Para-ordnance mags? I was looking at the high-capacity 10mm, what magazines does it take?

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have had a Para Ordnance P14 and two P12's, they all shot good and functioned great but didn't care for the extra bulk of the grip and my hands aren't small by no means. The recoil of a single stack 1911 in all my 45's and two 10mm's doesn't bother me. One guy said to pick up a 2" x 3" stick of wood and that is what the double stacks feel like, it's not that bad for me but is getting close. I have sold all three Para's but still have about eight single stack 1911's. It all boils down to what feels good to you. I have a five inch single stack RIA and it runs great and is pretty accurate, I'll keep it also.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like my XD 5.25 45 acp one of the softest shooting 45s I have.

I like small grips over all I have no problem using the XD.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you asked about the RIA's.
If you want a double stack 45 or 10 mm that fits your hand you might consider a EAA witness.
Basically a CZ that costs less and it has the most ergonomically designed grip available (IMO).
I have 1911's and love them but these EAA witnesses are the best bang for the buck I have seen in a handgun.
They get some bad comments on there support but I have never had to go to them.
I have an witness elite match I found at a gun shop that I handled not never heard of prior. I was extremely impressed and acquire it in 10 MM.
CZ 75 design, accurate and shoots what you put in it. Single action, very good trigger.
Easy to take down. Rail designed into the frame.
The EAA Witness clip capacity is 11 in 45 ACP
Take a look!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought I might add that a EAA witness hunter (6") in 45 super has been on my mind as a modification project.
I do not have a 45 super and this might be a good platform.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I gave my son a Springfield XD dbl. stack model NIB w/ all the goods for Christmas. That is how we do things in my family.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote