THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Anyone still shooting handgun silhouette?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still shooting handgun silhouette?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I played with this briefly about 25 years and four back surgeries ago. Shot a couple of matches with a scoped TC Contender in 6.5 TCU. It was a lot of fun -- and I sure admired the guys shooting open-sighted revolvers.
I am told they used to shoot it at our range here in southern New Mexico, but that -- kind of like cowboy shooting-- it just seemed to drift away.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
2 guys I know shot silhouette on there own many years ago. Chris was a mechanical engineer for the NYC MTA (trains). He used to go into the sanitation truck graveyard and torch out the silhouettes from the sides of the truck.

This was probably in the 70's

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rich, this is what I am finding. I don't have a lot of optimism about the longer-term chances for any shooting discipline. It seems to be a pattern of "new game," lots of shooters having a blast, f-ing gamers come in with expensive gear that exploits every angle in the rules. Regular folks quit coming, and it dies out. Over and over and over again.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the modern age is getting to us "old timers". I just shut up and shot .45ACP .38, .357 and .22's (until the primers ran out and ammo prices went out of sight). I have a few cases of old 12 gauge left, so maybe trap?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Michael, the town in Texas that I am moving to -- Sweetwater -- has a rifle and pistol club that is also heavy on the shotgun sports. It has been 40 years since I shot a few rounds of skeet. Might have to find myself a shotgun again.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
guys. I have done the same. Took up trap shooting after being away from it for many years. Right before the 12ga went from 4.50 to $10-ish a box (limit 2).

Got tons of Herco and 700x but no primers or wads on hand. The Pac 366 press has been sleeping for many years.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, if you are in the market for a shotgun, I'll make you a deal on a Browning Citori 12G.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, thanks. Will keep that in mind when things settle down, although I will admit to leaning toward a 20 in the vicinity of 6-6 1/2 pounds.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon, When my aging body forced me to give up ATA, I traded my trap gun, for a Beretta A400 XCEL Multitarget and it will do anything I want to try. 12ga., soft shooting, multiple chokes, and handles better than me. The only shotgun left in the safe. Smiler

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael! Will look at it.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our club hosts 100 yd reduced .22 lr pistol matches once a month. Lots of fun, none of us are any good but we enjoy it.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Phil, are you guys shooting ten targets on each bank?
Was just looking at this package of five each for rimfire pistol:
https://www.amazon.com/Scale-I...argets/dp/B0174RQO7Y

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, 10 each bank. But I think we use 3/5 size, but maybe they are 3/8. I can measure if you want. All I know for sure, they get damn small when you are trying to knock them down! Chickens @ 40, Pigs @ 50, Turkeys @ 75 and Rams @ 100.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
I haven't in a few years but I competed in IHMSA for over 25 years and was the local match director for four years....2000-2004.

They still hold monthly matches as well as the yearly Internationals at the Okla. City Gun Club and have been using auto reset (hyd.) targets for the past several years.

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil. I bet they get small! Cool
Ike, the auto-reset targets make a lot of sense.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
in the 70s we used to hold impromptu "hold my beer" matches. put an empty 12 ga AA hull over the end of a 22 rifle and pull the trigger. other guy had an 870 12 ga AA dove loads would try for the hull about 30 ft in the air. never got the national attention it deserved, in my opinion. coulda been as popular as shooting cottonmouths in the nueces river with a ruger mk11 swimming up to the dock. times change.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote