New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm Carry Recommendation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've blown-off the idea of a 10mm. I'm back to looking at 9mm for a cc weapon. A friend let me shoot his M&P 9 Shield with manual thumb safety today. I fired three at 7 yards, then three at 12 yards. I was amazed how accurate I was with it. (I like a manual safety although I know a lot of people don't. I think I'm just old-school.)

I didn't like that my little finger dangled off the end of the grip, but maybe that's how things are with a compact pistol. Are the M&Ps good pistols? Is there something better in the $480 to $580 price range?

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I have heard good things about the Shields. I too like the safety but not real crazy about being striker fired.

I really like my Sig P938. Lightweight, thin, single action carry cocked and locked.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t fit your criteria as far as safety (unless you count the trigger safety) and is striker fired, but I like my Glock 43. I put a light/laser combo on it. I don’t EDC, but it goes on at times in a molded clip on holster when I feel the need. I did add a pinky extension, as I hate not having a full grip.

I too am more old school, but somehow own 3 Glocks now (17, 23, 43). My nephew has the 938 and likes it. I didn’t like the ergonomics.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S@W, Glock, Ruger all make good pistols try them all and pick the one you like.

The shields I have shot have all worked well as have the others.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco, I have had a Shield for a couple of years. I do not have a safety and did not want one. It's a bit awkward to move it on that small frame when you are in a hurry. However, I always carry my Shield in a holster that covers the trigger guard whether it an IWB or OWB.

Did you try the 8 round magazine or just the 7 round one? The 8 round mag extends about an 1/2" past the mag well and your little finger should be supported. I only carry and use the 8 round mags.

Now that S&W has come out with a new 2.0 version, you can pick up an older one for under $400 if you keep your eyes open.

I really like mine but I'm Sig fan and usually carry my P228. I also have a P320 Sub Compact that I like a lot too. All of these are 9mm stoked with 124 grain Gold Dots.

You can't go wrong with a Shield. Good luck.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have about landed. M&P 9 Shield, 9mm, Flat Dark Earth Finish, Thumb Safety. Looks like I can get it for about $450. May wait until Father's Day.

Should I go with night sights? Any recommendations on IWB vs OWB holsters?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Old School? I'll second that.

I prefer and own many Browning Hi Powers. They handle great, shoot well, and, properly customized, are as good as 1911s IMO. Of course, they only have a 13 round magazine which, given your shooting prowess, might not be enough to stop a charging pig. In addition, a good customized one will be about 4x your cost of the M&P.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should I go with night sights

Yes one of the better things to put on a self defense pistol.

I wear 99 percent of the time OWB holsters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
pds, that surprises me. For some reason I thought most would say IWB. (IWB seems better concealed, but harder to retrieve to me, but I have no experience with IWB.)

I'll get the night sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
that surprises me

As carrying a firearm becomes more main stream and in a lot of states one can open carry without a permit.

I am less and less concerned if some one sees it or not.

When the weather is warm I open carry most of the time. 98% of people never even notice even full sized stainless pistols.

I have received far more positive comments then negative ones.

There are some states and areas that required the up most in concealment. I have small handguns and holsters that take care of that.

99% of the time I carry a Glock 23 or a full size stainless 1911.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the LTC course I took, the instructor commented that he would not recommend Open Carry in Texas as a perpetrator about to unload would likely initiate his attack towards those that obviously pose a threat to him; armed or uniformed officers, obviously armed civilians; or even towards someone with a weapon the perpetrator wants to quickly obtain.

I don't think that was a part of the course, just his personal opinion, but that resonated with me. The more urban the area, and certainly north Dallas is plenty urban, the more likely open-carry is to draw unwanted attention from all segments of the community.

My hope is that if I have to involve myself in an altercation outside my home, that the event will appear less like a quick-draw contest, and more like a unexpected response; at least to the perp. I may get both IWB and OWB holsters and try both, until I decide which is the more useful to me.

Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
In the LTC course I took, the instructor commented that he would not recommend Open Carry in Texas as a perpetrator about to unload would likely initiate his attack towards those that obviously pose a threat to him; armed or uniformed officers, obviously armed civilians; or even towards someone with a weapon the perpetrator wants to quickly obtain.

I don't think that was a part of the course, just his personal opinion, but that resonated with me. The more urban the area, and certainly north Dallas is plenty urban, the more likely open-carry is to draw unwanted attention from all segments of the community.

My hope is that if I have to involve myself in an altercation outside my home, that the event will appear less like a quick-draw contest, and more like a unexpected response; at least to the perp. I may get both IWB and OWB holsters and try both, until I decide which is the more useful to me.

Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

I would not open carry in any urban or high crime area. Someone might cold knock you out just to steal the gun on your waist.

I have had my car broken into at a gun show as local thugs were looking to steal hidden weapons of people/gun owners who go to gun shows.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

I'll get the night sights.

Few things in life are more reassuring in the middle of the night than a warm green glow laying on your bedside table.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I remember all the scared people opposed to open carry when it was on the table a few years ago. What’s funny is that I think I can count the number of people I’ve seen openly carrying and still have fingers left over.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Shield (no manual safety) that I carry in an IWB holster (Outbags, leather). In Florida in the Summer I think that is the best. I also have an S&W Custom Shop Shorty Forty that I carry in a regular belt holster ie. the type that has slots cut on the holster for the belt to keep it close to the body, also leather. Drawing a blank as to what they are called!
I posted about it in the Personal Defense Concealed Carry Forum
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pulled the trigger on the M&P by Smith & Wesson 9 Shield, 9mm, Flat Dark Earth Frame, Thumb Safety. I beat the Smith & Wesson $449 price significantly. I bought it online for $299.99, including a second magazine. I tried to see if Academy would match that price in-store, but they declined. They did want to run the FFL transfer for me for $40. I instead had the pistol shipped to Frisco Gun Club and paid $25. I gave the pistol to my wife and told her that would be my Father's Day present.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have OWB and IWB holsters. But my favorite is in the zipper pocket of Duluth Firehose Foreman pants. It's on right side, put pistol in and zip it up and about forget it's there. I have 9mm Glock and .380 Kimber. I like carrying the .380 better. Not gonna win any fast draw with gun in zipped pocket, so I don't carry with one in chamber either.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a similar plan when I wear my 5.11 Tactical Stryke pants. I'll use the short magazine, chamber clear, and slip it in the pocket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only pocket carry

Glock 43 and Glock 42

Glock 42 somehow feels much better to pocket carry.

I probably bought 10 carry guns before settling on Glock 42/43.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, is that the banana clip poking out, or are you just happy to see me :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I still prefer a 1911 in .45 as that is what I'm used to.Strange as it sounds,if I need to shoot, I don't want to think about anything.Also w/o sounding like Col. Cooper,the 9mm just does'nt stack up (sorry) with the .45.Here in Texas it is too damn hot to carry a concealed anything so for open carry why not use what one is familiar with? When one carries for years,one just forgets its there.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, is that the banana clip poking out, or are you just happy to see me :-)

there you go Biebs

A GLOCK 26 and a 33 round clip Wink

Mike

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
In Summer I carry a Bersa thunder in 380...

I prefer a hammer gun and like the hammer drop saftey and DA capabilities. I do not like striker fired guns.

Currently on the look-out for a SS Walther PPK/s in 380...

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the OP was about 9mm. I pocket carry most of the time in FL in the summer with a Ruger LCR in 38 special, and a pocket holster.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing so far that I don't like about my new M&P (by Smith & Wesson) 9 Shield (9mm) is that I can't close the slide one-handed with my thumb. Too stiff. Maybe that is a safety feature. With my Model 39-2, it works like a charm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As weird as it seems, the S&Ws are designed to be "slingshot" slide racked with 2 hands. I had a 2.0 and could not get it close with one hand like 1911's(I am left handed). Took it to a reputable smith and he could not get it to work reliably, called S&W and was informed that the slingshot is the way they want it done. Sold mine immediately and got Gen 5 Glock. Works one handed perfectly.

Posts: 58 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By "slingshot" I assume you mean that the slide does not lock back?
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
FWIW in 1911's

The Ruger and Kimber won't close w/o a slingshot.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry richj, but I do not understand what you are saying about Kimbers. I have 3 Kimbers:
Kimber Pro Carry II 38 Super
Kimber Stainless target 9mm
Kimber Classic Custom Target 45 acp.
all of them operate in the same way as a typical 1911. Perhaps you can elaborate on your use of the term 'slingshot". I am not clear on what this means, other than a non lockback situation.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, the "slingshot" method is when you grip the rear of the slide with the non shooting hand, pull back then release the slide in order to load a round into the chamber and go into battery. This method is done instead of just hitting the slide release control. This is done after a magazine change when the slide is locked open after the last round being fired. Sometimes this little extra impetus is what is needed to go fully into battery with some stiff actions.

I have watched specials on the SEALS and US Secret Service and they always use the "slingshot" method after a magazine change. When I took my CCW class, the LEO's teaching it advocated its use as well.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you RCG. I use the "slingshot method" when Bullseye shooting but not when shooting IPSC. I have had no problems with feeding in either case. However, richj said that "1911" Kimbers "won't close" without using that method, and that, at least with my guns, is not true.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
We had 2 rugers at the range that would not close unless you pulled the slide back and depressed the slide stop.
I may be wrong about the Kimbers, but i thought I remembers seeing the same thing (problem) with one.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks richj. I am trying to figure out whether this is a design issue or a manufacturing glitch. In the case of my Shield, I cannot get the slide to lock back and have the same issue, design or malfunction? Perhaps other Shield users can chime in.
Added: Well Google is my friend. Turns out that manually getting the slide to lock back is a well known issue! You have to pull the slide back further than you think in order to get it to lock back.
Also, turns out that there is quite a bit of discussion on the slide lock vs. slingshot method. Youtube has several discussions on it.There is a significant downside to the slingshot method with a Beretta as one can hit the decocking lever if not careful. I plan on sticking with what i do now.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,If you are still in the market I have a LNIB CZ 75 w/ night sights + extra mag. for $550.00.P.M. me if interested.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZ 75 is one of the finest handguns ever designed and built. I've used them since the '70s. You can't go wrong with one. If you decide to live with a polymer, striker-fired gun, you owe it to yourself to check out a CZ P-10 (you will likely ditch your Glock if you do). For a mid-size polymer hammer-fired gun, a P-07.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I fired my M&P (by Smith & Wesson) 9 Shield (9mm) today. I'm OK with the accuracy. I'll get used to the gun.

The trigger pull is much heavier than I would like. Not sure what can be done there.

I had trouble with the 7-round magazine. I had to really slam it home for it to catch. Hopefully that will loosen-up with time.

I was looking at a holster from Cabela's called a Blade-Tech Total Eclipse Ambidextrous Holster. The cost is $54.99. It sounds good. I'll try to get a look at one tomorrow.

Cabela's advertises a "free in-store holster fitting" Not sure what that will entail, but it sounds like a plus.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco, I posted somewhere else about my IWB holster for the 9mm Shield. It is made by Outbags and is leather. I like it a lot.
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Outbags model looks to be about half the price of the Cabela's offering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude, you should've gotten yourself a 10mm pistol when you had the chance. Whistling

A S&W M&P 9-minimeter? .... Really? Roll Eyes

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always been a 1911 fan in 45 acp. so when Col. Cooper several years got outspoken on the many attributes of the CZ 75 (+ we know how much he distained the 9mm) I thought it was worth a look. It is a great pistol.Although I carry a 1911,I keep a CZ in my bedside drawer.I have 2 + one is still for sale W/night sights.(shameless sales pitch but true).