Find
Notify
Tools

.454 Casull powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
What are the top choices of powders for full-house loads?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would it be any different than for a 475 Linebaugh? I use H110 exclusively in my 475.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Aren't H110 and W296 pretty similar? Those are the two I have been told and are listed in many manuals. Barnes lists A#7 and #9 as top choices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, when Freedom Arms was still offering loaded ammunition for the Casull, their powder of choice was AA #9. I have burned a fair amount of it, and fwiw, it always appeared to me that #9 actually slowed and was more "pressure forgiving" when shot behind heavy bullets. I know that doesn't make sense, but to give you an idea, I got a chronographed 1800 fps out of my Freedom 654 Silhouette revolver shooting the SSK 411-275 and a whole bunch of #9. And the 654 has a 1-in-14" twist!

I like WC 820 in mine, but I sincerely believe it is nothing but commercial W296 (although I can't prove it...).

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
For full house loads the top powders are LilGun, Viht N110, H110, W296, and H4227.

H110 and W296 are the exact same powder sold under two names. I have never used N110 so I won't comment on it but the H110/W296 are clean burning and very consistent. H4227 is a bit dirty and not as consistent through my measures as the H110 is.

For data with the Winchester, IMR and Hodgdon powders look here:
www.hodgdon.com

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I use H110 and Lil'Gun in my .454.

Steve...............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote