New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser sights on a pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Reading some of the articles I see people recommending a longer than normal set up for your laser sight on your pistol.

If you were to set your pistol laser to a 30 or 50 yard sight in; then what does the bullet ballistic curve look like over a 100 yards?

What is the high and the low point over this range? Is there a table on line to fig this?

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim TX if you Google "22lr trajectory" you should find the answer you are looking for. There is however a problem here as most ballistic charts and tables assume a particular height of the sights ABOVE the barrel. In general, many Bullseye shooters (myself included) do not adjust their sights between 25 and 50 yards. So, if you are zeroed at 50 yards with open sights then there is no material difference in offhand shooting at 25. So, zeroed at 50 yards, you can expect a drop of about 7" at 100 yards with standard velocity ammo.
Now, the real problem is with the laser sight. these are generally mounted below the barrel, maybe 1 1/2" and this will throw off the above rule of thumb.
Now, let me ask, have you ever shot a pistol with a laser? If not, I would suggest you go to your local range and try someone else's gun. Basically you are either using the sights or shooting from the hip (ie. NOT using the sights). Even shooting with two hands, at 25 yards, the laser dot will be darting around all over the place. From a rest, it might be different. As I mentioned in a post to this same question on another forum on AR, you should really check if you can see a laser dot at 100 yards without optics. I suspect not.
I am not sure why you want a laser. have you considered a red dot sight? These (from a rest) do improve accuracy and speed of acquisition.
Just my 2 cents, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of handguns with the Crimson Trace Laser grips.

One of them is a 44 Mag S&W 4" Mountain Gun.

I sighted the laser in at 40 yards.

I find it most useful on running game at night.

One night I was on a pig hunt on a friends ranch.

We were heading back to camp at night when we passed by an elevated grain bin that held cattle pellets. There were 4 racoons that had climed up and were in the bottom feed mechanism.

We went over there and a couple of guys took a some rake handles and began to "pry" them out.

As each one hit the ground they would take off running.
The first two did not get more than 6 or 7 feet before I blasted them, with the 44 Mag.

The third made it about 15 feet.

The fourth hit the ground and ran around amoung the feet of the other 3 guys that were under the grain bin helping pry them out.

Those guys were also jumping around like crazy, I guess they thought I would shoot the racoon off of their toes. shocker

Wekk the racoon finally took off at a rapid rate. I just tracked the laser dot behine him and up a bit passed his nose and touched one off. flame I hit him at about 20 yards of so

Scratch racoon No4...

There is no way I could have killed those racoons, in the dark, with out the Crimson Trace laser grips...

I like them...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would echo Peter in asking, what is the purpose (what type of shooting) of the laser? In my experience most weapon mounted lasers aren't as visible in most lighting condition as might be desired - will a pistol laser really project to 100 yards in daylight? Low light will change this of course.

In my case, I put Crimson Trace lasergrips on my S&W Model 642 J frame. I sighted the laser in at 15 yards with 125 gr 38 Specials, and the accuracy of my shooting with the laser over the iron sights is significant. This is due mostly to the irons stubby sight radius.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also don't forget Murphy's Law when using a laser sight during a defensive use of your handgun. When do you think the batteries will go bad?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that laser sighting tools are useful as with any thing with batteries I don't trust that much.

But that said I have a cheap laser on a 22 High Standard that has been on the pistol for over 10 years.

Never have changed the batteries And as two weeks ago I took it out of the safe and it still lite up.

I have no trouble making head shots from the hip at 30 yards.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pdogshooter: Trusting your life on 10 year old batteries you could replace cheaply? You, sir, obviously like to live dangerously, IMHO....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
Pdogshooter: Trusting your life on 10 year old batteries you could replace cheaply? You, sir, obviously like to live dangerously, IMHO....

obviously If you read a its 22 pistol TOOK IT OUT OF THE SAFE who said anything about trusting my life to it.

I guess if I only own one gun I might jump to the conclusion

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote