New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moon clip revolvers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone give me a list of moon clip revolvers available in 357? Does the GP100 have this ability?

I have no knowledge of this type of revolvers so I need educated.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by albertacoyote:
Can anyone give me a list of moon clip revolvers available in 357? Does the GP100 have this ability?

I have no knowledge of this type of revolvers so I need educated.

Thanks,

Greg

Funny you should ask that right now. I just ran across this thread on another forum:

http://www.rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=9786
or if the link does not work
rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=9786
There is lots of good information there., but in short. I do not have a list, but Googling the words "Moon Clips" will get you a lot of leads. The GP100 (and most other revolvers) have to be machined out to accept moon clips. Some gunsmiths will machine the entire rear face of the cylinder which makes moon clips necessary all the time. Other gunsmiths will machine part of the cylinder's rear face, which makes moon clips or loose ammunition optional.

One site mentioned in the thread is
http://www.moonclips.com/

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own (and Shoot) a S&W 629. I ordered a spare cylender cut for use with full moon clips from someone on this forum - Tom?? (use search) and am Very happy with the result.

Tom would have prefered to alter my original cylender but living in Africa that wasn't an option- now I can (and do) swop between the original for bush carry and the cut cylender with clips for IPSC revolver class.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
I own (and Shoot) a S&W 629. I ordered a spare cylender cut for use with full moon clips from someone on this forum - Tom?? (use search) and am Very happy with the result.

Tom would have prefered to alter my original cylender but living in Africa that wasn't an option- now I can (and do) swop between the original for bush carry and the cut cylender with clips for IPSC revolver class.

Sounds like an excellent solution
How about some pics Ganyana?
I have a S&W Model 57 I've been thinking about having the cylinder milled for moon clips.
How much was the spare cylinder and where did you get it?

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting option. I was looking at a GP100 and was hoping that I could use moon clips but it doesn't look like it.

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go to www.moonclips.com

A new .44 cylender , cut and supplied with a dozen moon clips was arround $300 with all the posting etc.

Never managed to post a picture on AR- got to have some sort of seperate website and only my wife has ever leaned to properly work the digital camera Saeed gave me! (and She doesn't do guns!!!!)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by albertacoyote:
That is an interesting option. I was looking at a GP100 and was hoping that I could use moon clips but it doesn't look like it.

Greg

Greg, go back and read my earlier post and follow the links. Yes, the GP 100 can be milled out to receive moon clips and done in such a way that use of loose ammo is unimpaired. (Not my personal experience, but testified to by others.)

on this thread

post #6 gave this testimonial on a conversion of an SP101

http://www.rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=10845

quote:
Originally posted by flynnjoel:

I had my 2-1/4" SP101 .357 converted to full moon clips by Ten-Ring Precision out of San Antonio, Tx about a year ago. They did excellent work and the turn-around time was only about a week and a half. All I had to do was ship them my cylinder. I'm fairly sure they use the same TK moon clips that Gemini Customs has made famous.
As to how they work... they're great! Faster reloads, less fumbling. You can still load single rounds or use old-style speed loaders (which I do when I'm carrying a mix of JHP and snake shot in the woods.) I've got no regrets.

(Bold-facing and italics are mine, added later)

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at my post and wondering now why I posted that!! bewildered

Thanks for pointing this out again for some of us that are challenged! Big Grin

Greg