THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM


Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
lengthened 45 ACP
 Login/Join
 
one of us
posted
A 10 MM cartridge will fit well in the handle of a 1911 or various hybrid composite guns.
If you could lengthen a 45 ACP to the length of a 10 mm you might have an opportunity to increase the power of the cartridge without resorting to the higher pressures of the 45 super or 460 Rowland.
Seems like this could work in the existing design formats.
You might have to beef up some of the recoil components not unlike a 10 MM.
Most folks are not looking for higher powered handguns these days. It appears the trend is toward higher capacity lower yield offerings.

For some of us that like to think a bit larger, has anyone ever explored this?
A 230 gr at 1100-1150 FPS at a reasonable pressure? Probably over kill for self defense but something new.

EZ
 
Posts: 2364 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.45 Winchester Magnum. Not sure whatever happened to it, but it didn't catch on.
C.G.B.
 
Posts: 959 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
.45 Winchester Magnum. Not sure whatever happened to it, but it didn't catch on.
C.G.B.


But it did not fit in a standard 1911 frame.

I had a contender barrel in it for awhile.
 
Posts: 16518 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have an old friend that has a 45 super that his father had built when he was in the San Antonio P.D. Before passing he gave the pistol to Pete. We never chronographed it but it was a thumper.


Never mistake motion for action.
 
Posts: 13716 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree I have a Springfield longslide V16 in 45 Super. It shoots factory Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast at 1100 fps (6" barrel). Lighter than a 44 Mag revolver, for us pistol shooters easier to shoot. It's my woods gun, I have a Springfield Professional for carrying in town.







Regards,

Chuck



"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"
 
Posts: 4046 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like long barreled long slide auto's.

I get 1134 fps with a 180gr lead or fmj out of my 6 inch glock 24
 
Posts: 16518 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting iron Chuck!
I think that is a real sweet spot.

quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Agree I have a Springfield longslide V16 in 45 Super. It shoots factory Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast at 1100 fps (6" barrel). Lighter than a 44 Mag revolver, for us pistol shooters easier to shoot. It's my woods gun, I have a Springfield Professional for carrying in town.





 
Posts: 2364 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Except for defense against brown bear...I have never really wanted more power than a .45 acp.

But just for the above reason...I may look into one of thes .45 Supers in a long slide 1911.


____________

Lane

Progressives don’t just have disdain for Conservatives...they loathe the very ground they walk on.
 
Posts: 27910 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the OP, the COAL of the .45 ACP and the 10 mm auto are the same.

The 10mm has a longer case, and also operates at a higher pressure.

The .45 win mag pistol round was an attempt to do what you are talking about (larger case) although pressure wise it was up there as well to get max performance.

It is also about as long a case as the 10mm, but OAL is not the same, it requires a bigger gripped gun, like the LAR grizzly or similar. There is also the (now defunct) Coonan auto that fired .357 magnum ammo- also a longer grip. Compare guns for the 9x23 Winchester and the Coonan pistol- but ballistic performance is the same (with 125 gr bullets.)

This is not very easy to handle for most.

The various long slide guns are more a personal affectation as to appearance and how they handle recoil. The extra 1” of barrel length really doesn’t boost velocity much in the grander scheme of things. The .45 super is doing its thing with more pressure, not a larger case.

You can make a 1911 that can handle higher intensity cartridges (that’s pretty much what all the IPSC race guns are- get rid of unsupported chambers, etc.) but it’s not case size per se, and it’s not a long slide that does it. I think the .45 super also has thickened brass at the case web to help as well.
 
Posts: 6363 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may see what can be done as far as necessary mods to a DW Bruin to safely facilitate the use of a 45 super.
A well made long slide 1911 format.

EZ
 
Posts: 2364 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you probably will find is you need a ramped barrel (frame needs to be milled, then the barrel chambered and fitted) and a substantially heavier recoil spring.

Personally I like a 1 piece recoil guide rod in guns like this because it makes it easier to disassemble and clean it, not because it is needed for function. Use a paperclip or pin to lock the spring in place, and a wrench to remove the reverse plug and reload the spring. Trying to fit a 28#+ recoil spring in with a bushing set up alone is a pain.
 
Posts: 6363 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
A 10 MM cartridge will fit well in the handle of a 1911 or various hybrid composite guns.
If you could lengthen a 45 ACP to the length of a 10 mm you might have an opportunity to increase the power of the cartridge without resorting to the higher pressures of the 45 super or 460 Rowland.
Seems like this could work in the existing design formats.
You might have to beef up some of the recoil components not unlike a 10 MM.
Most folks are not looking for higher powered handguns these days. It appears the trend is toward higher capacity lower yield offerings.

For some of us that like to think a bit larger, has anyone ever explored this?
A 230 gr at 1100-1150 FPS at a reasonable pressure? Probably over kill for self defense but something new.

EZ


That's what a 45 Super is. My Springfield V16 LongSlide was designed for it. It will also shoot plain old 45 ACP hardball. Factory Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast chrono'd at 1110 fps out of it's 6" barrel.





Regards,

Chuck



"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"
 
Posts: 4046 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mach 1 (1100 FPS)
I like it. Too bad they are no longer made.
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
A 10 MM cartridge will fit well in the handle of a 1911 or various hybrid composite guns.
If you could lengthen a 45 ACP to the length of a 10 mm you might have an opportunity to increase the power of the cartridge without resorting to the higher pressures of the 45 super or 460 Rowland.
Seems like this could work in the existing design formats.
You might have to beef up some of the recoil components not unlike a 10 MM.
Most folks are not looking for higher powered handguns these days. It appears the trend is toward higher capacity lower yield offerings.

For some of us that like to think a bit larger, has anyone ever explored this?
A 230 gr at 1100-1150 FPS at a reasonable pressure? Probably over kill for self defense but something new.

EZ


That's what a 45 Super is. My Springfield V16 LongSlide was designed for it. It will also shoot plain old 45 ACP hardball. Factory Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast chrono'd at 1110 fps out of it's 6" barrel.



 
Posts: 2364 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2020 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia