New
Find
Notify
Tools

What pistol for me, and why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want a semi auto hand gun. The only hand guns I have are double action revolvers, in 22lr and 44 mag.
I shoot falling steel for fun at the range. I would like to try one of the competitions, for fun. I want something cheap to buy ammo for or reload for. Self defense is a minor factor.
Most of my handgun experience comes from shooting a friend's guns. He is a cop, and a Glock fan.
I like 1911s. My bud's Springfield is nice, I can't miss with that gun. It helps that he also gave me his Dillon 550, with the 45 ACP conversion kit. ( He has nowhere to use it.) I also like Military guns, especialy 1903 Springfields. So, a Springfield 1911 would fit in.

What about other brands of 1911. Rock Island seems inexpensive, are they cheap junk? Are there any brands to avoid?

I also like the Glock and Springfield XD, likely in 40 cal. Any thoughts? A 9mm would be cheaper for factory ammo, but I do reload. My buddy likes the 40 because law enforcement uses it, and in a revolution, he thinks they may be on our side.

Typing this out, I think I talked myself into a 1911. I want all 3, the 1911, Glock, and XD. What do you think I should get first?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tony R
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock and a 1911. I have no experience with the springfield. I have nothing bad to say about either gun. With either gun there is a good amount of aftermarked goodies for it.

Posts: 75 | Location: vancouver wa. | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd get whichever feels best in your hands. You will shoot best with the one you feel comfortable with. For the 1911, the Taurus is a sweet deal.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well as long as you dismiss glucks from any consideration stir pissers shocker (as any normal human being would) there is a world of 1911's out there. head for your favorite gunshop and droll over them for awhile. springfield, S&W, dan wesson, taurus, kimber etc. are all great guns. colts today are a POS, sad to say, that is unless you find yourself a nice old one or one of the WW1 or WW2 new models. and don't forget, there is no sin involved in having several Big Grin BOOM

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shoot some semi-auto pistols and own a couple of them myself and the one that I liked above any was a Colt 1911A1 Series 70 in 9mmLuger. It was easy to shoot and had low recoil,never jammed, and was very accurate. It belongs to my S-I-L as a gift from his father and I have tried everything I can think of to entice him to sell/trade/give it to me without success.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Springfield Government Model for Bullseye Pistol. Hardly ever hiccups and shots where I aim. Handles any bullet I've fed it since '98 or so.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
Buy something that you shoot well. Buying for nostalgia or matching never seems to work out. I have owned all three of the firearms that you are considering and I can say they are all fine firearms. I happen to shoot the Glock 22 better than any other, but that doesn't mean you will. Get what works for YOU. With those choices you can't go wrong. thumb

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
If ya gonna reload, stay away from xd or glock. accidentally double charge a round and you'll never find all the pieces. i saw it happen once to a Colt and all it did was blow the clip out the bottom. no damage to the gun. i suggest Colt or Springfield

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
try to handle or shoot a S&W M&P compact model. Great feel to them, and I think have better triggers than glocks or Xd's

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a Kimber 1911 since 2003 for IDPA and just picked up a Sig P226 Blackwater to switch things up a little. The Sig is a super nice gun in its own right, but I still prefer my 1911.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend you get a standard sized 1911 first, then get an aluminium framed Commander sized 1911 second [best everyday conceled carry gun there is], and then get another standard sized 1911 third. All in 45 ACP of course.

Keep it simple, keep it PERFECT.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never met a Colt I didn't like.

Neither have I. I own two Commanders, tuned with match barrels, and I carry one all day, every day.

I also own Sig, Mauser, a worn out Hi Power, a Contender and several revolvers. But I carry Colt. My car gun is a Smith 57, .41 mag. Good for shooting through sheet metal, if I have to.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think the Commander sized S&W 1911 with the Scandium frame is also an option, especially if you can't find a lightweight Series 70 Colt.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I think the Commander sized S&W 1911 with the Scandium frame is also an option, especially if you can't find a lightweight Series 70 Colt.

Correct it does not have to be a Colt. Several of the 1911 makers make a "Lightweight Commander".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1911 is a nice target gun. It's also fairly easy to reload, because the case is large. 40 S&W is fussy about loading, and 9mm is worse.

1911 is sort of "specialized." It's not high cap, and the single action trigger makes it less than optimal for carry -- unless you're comfortable with "cocked & locked." (I'll do it with a thrumb break holster.)

1911's tend to be spendy. They're like "hot rods."

I hate Glocks, but that's me.

Last time I looked at Smith & Wesson semi-autos, they were all alum. frames. I don't care for alum frames. It's a "stretch" issue.

Asking "what gun" is sort of like having someone pick out a wife for you. But unlike marriage, you don't have to settle for just one gun.

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I own an older Colt Lwt. Commander. It's a pretty accurate gun even with the tiny sights but if I don't wear a glove... after 50 rounds the grips safety will leave my hand pretty torn up (needs an extension for me)... not really a plinking gun.

My vote would be for a Browning Hi-Power. I shot many rounds through mine and its feel is superior to even the 1911 and damn accurate. The 40 S&W version might be a good compromise b/w 9 and 45, and the barrel should handle lead fine. Put a bar-sto barrel on it and it would be hard to beat.

If you're more of a traditionalist, I would buy a 1911 or Hi Power. Either fit into the military-era you spoke of.

If you have a dillon but don't yet cast, 9mm would be cheaper to shoot but requires more careful attention while reloading... oh, and you wouldn't have to worry about picking up every piece of spent brass...

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless your hands are on the large side skip the Glock. I've only handled the XD which has a better grip angle than the Glock (even if they fit me). For shooting games the 1911 is the way to go. For defense it takes more training to use safely than some other operating systems. In the 1911 and its clones you get what you pay for, more or less. You've got the reloading setup already so spend as much as you can tolerate on the pistol.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

Correct it does not have to be a Colt. Several of the 1911 makers make a "Lightweight Commander".

Yep, I have one & so far I am loving it. I don;t know about longevity, but we'll find out after I pass 1000rds.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a hardened SIG fan...... But I've got to say that the Springfield-Armory XD Series are perhaps the best designed defensive pistols currently out there.

I don't think they are as accurate as my SIGs, but you don't really need target accuracy in a defense pistol. In any case the XD's are accurate enough.

Things I like about them........

Glock-type "safety trigger".

Excellent grip angle and well located and accessable controls (equals pointability and speed of operation under stress).

Loaded chamber indicator.

Cocked hammer indicator.

They are reasonably priced.

They're just well designed shooters!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worst trigger design/mechanism of any currently produced pistol ..?? GLOCK!! Unshootable garbage. I have four of them and no amount of time or money will make them worth a shit. The XD is just a Glock knock off with an equally poor design. They are good close range mud guns which is what they were designed for.

Most SIG's are excellent guns with very good triggers. I have to say that I shoot HK's over SIG because the triggers are a little better and they aren't aluminum framed ( I'm allergic to painted aluminum ). The custom shop SIGS are another matter. The custom shop S&W is also excellent. Both are big $$$.

1911's ...like an old model T ... they usually work correctly but often NOT!!

Buy yourself a USP Elite or Expert, practice practice, and sleep well ..... thumb

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Worst trigger design/mechanism of any currently produced pistol ..?? GLOCK!! Unshootable garbage. I have four of them and no amount of time or money will make them worth a shit. The XD is just a Glock knock off with an equally poor design. They are good close range mud guns which is what they were designed for.

Uh, Rudy! Defensive pistols is what we're talking about! ....... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:

Uh, Rudy! Defensive pistols is what we're talking about! ....... Big Grin

Ja! But with the HK you get the best features all rolled into one device ...besides an M1-Super90 with 7 x 3" OOOO beats any pistol for close up work ... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Uzi Baby Eagle or "Jericho" and the CZ75 is pretty much the same gun. Steel, good design, lotsa bang for the buck.

I don't think they come in 45 ACP. 40 Smith and 9mm . . . but every gun is some sort of compromise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...besides an M1-Super90 with 7 x 3" OOOO beats any pistol for close up work ... Big Grin

Gee, Rudy.... how do those 7 pellets of 0000 stack in a 12 gauge?!!!! bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...besides an M1-Super90 with 7 x 3" OOOO beats any pistol for close up work ... Big Grin

Gee, Rudy.... how do those 7 pellets of 0000 stack in a 12 gauge?!!!! bewildered

Not seven pellets Brick for Brains - seven rounds of 3" mag in an M1-Super 90 ... Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not seven pellets Brick for Brains - seven rounds of 3" mag in an M1-Super 90 ... Roll Eyes

Quadruple-aught buck in 12 gauge, eh, Rudolph?!!!!! Big Grin Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ready and waiting DaManatee ... Big Grin

How many OOOO buck shot can you fit in a 3" 12GA hull Mr. reloader ...?? coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who knows how many pellets you got into your Rube Goldberg loads, Rudy!

But there's a good reason that no commercial ammunition uses .380" quad-0 buck in 12 gauge hulls. It's because two .380" balls won't stack evenly in a 12 gauge hull.

Though quad-0 works great in 10 gauge.

But maybe you meant triple-0 buck .360". Now those work great in 12 gauge hulls. Nice even rows. Compact and consistent shot columns that pattern nicely.

PS - My appologies to the author of this thread for going a bit off the "defensive pistol" subject.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
with the HK you get the best features all rolled into one device ..

+1
Have USP and Compact

Though I've had a lot of fun over the years shooting Gold Cups and Witness Comp guns.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But there's a good reason that no commercial ammunition uses .380" quad-0 buck in 12 gauge hulls. It's because two .380" balls won't stack evenly in a 12 gauge hull.

But maybe you meant triple-0 buck .360". Now those work great in 12 gauge hulls. Nice even rows. Compact and consistent shot columns that pattern nicely.

PS - My appologies to the author of this thread for going a bit off the "defensive pistol" subject.

Interesting ...stacking the pellets is mandatory these days I guess ...must be a fashion thing like high heel disco boots & bell bottoms ... Big Grin

I don't hand-load for shotgun but I've certainly purchased and fired OOOO buck loads in my 12GA. (never owned a 10GA).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

quote:
I don't hand-load for shotgun but I've certainly purchased and fired OOOO buck loads in my 12GA. (never owned a 10GA).

And you bought those loads from your cousin Cletus?!!!! dancing

Come on, Rudolph! Tell us where you got those "special quad-0 loads"! Wink dancing

Tell me how these 0000 Buck pellets are going to go down the bore of a 12 gauge and what type of pattern they will produce.

Rudolph it's obvious that you have no knowledge of the subject! archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you bought those loads from your cousin Cletus?!!!!

Yeah that's it ...Cletus Ammo Company ... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rudolph it's obvious that you have no knowledge of the subject!

Dang ... forgot about this part. OK so I gather by your enlightening statement (standard protocol with you ) that you don't think OOOO Buckshot fits into a 12 GA Hull ...??

Lets hear it ... this should be good ... rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Rudolph it's obvious that you have no knowledge of the subject!

Dang ... forgot about this part. OK so I gather by your enlightening statement (standard protocol with you ) that you don't think OOOO Buckshot fits into a 12 GA Hull ...??

Lets hear it ... this should be good ... rotflmo

Come on, Rudolph! A .380" ball will "fit" into a 12 gauge hull...... as will a .390", .400", etc.

But it's a bad idea!

Do this...... cut open one of your "Quad-0 buck cartridges" and tell us how it's loaded.

I'm all ears waiting to hear all details about this specialty cartridge from the "Cletus Ammunition Company"! Big Grin

PS - Why don't we move this discussion to the shotshell reloading forum where it belongs?!!! I'll start a thread there for you to answer the questions. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok! I alays enjoy taunting you in public ... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok! I alays enjoy taunting you in public ... Big Grin

Your efforts "alays" backfire, Rudolph! Roll Eyes

PS - Rudolph I've opened a thread over on the shotgun reloading forum so you can talk about quad-0 buck loads in the 12 gauge! No need for you to go off topic in the pistol shooting forum just trying to "taunt me in public"! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
I want a semi auto hand gun. .....

Typing this out, I think I talked myself into a 1911. I want all 3, the 1911, Glock, and XD. What do you think I should get first?

Check out the Kimber 1911 45 ACPs!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote