Notify
Tools

How many 1911's to own
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I find myself owning too many 1911's
Is there such a thing as too many?

Posts: 2661 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66677 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As many as one can afford.

I own 2 1911 in 45acp and 2 other 45acps why because I can.

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
You will always need “just 1 more”

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2575 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Just one more thing to say good about living in America. You can have all you can afford. And I consider having too many akin to having too much fun.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have 14 so, no!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1093 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got 4 plus the wife’s 1911-380 pro.

I would have more, but got other things to do.

Posts: 10555 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I don’t even have one...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for you, it is a great platform. Please don't say that you've gone to the Glock dark side! Wink

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I have a Les Baer. However, I compete with and carry 2011s. Competition gun on top, CCW on the bottom.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Les Baer as well but carry a Kimber. if I ever had to use it I would hate to lose the Les Baer.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Only two. One is a Colt Combat Elite and the other is a Colt Compact which was a plain budget gun that's an officers model in length. Both made in the early 1990's.

It's kind of ironic that I have them because I've never really cared for the ergonomics of 1911's. Not enough angle in the grip for my liking. But an arched mainspring housing helps a little which is also why the US military went that route long ago. Unfortunately the new civilian versions all sport flat mainspring housings because they look cool. But it's an easy fix.

I guess the real reason in my case for the Combat Elite was because most action pistol competitions are built around a 1911 as the weapon of choice. I used to shoot both IPSC and IDPA back in the 1990's.

The only 1911 I did kind of like but never bought was a double stack Para Ordinance. The wider grip filled my large hands much better.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I only have two Frowner

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I own 2.
One is a mil-specmade by high standard and a Smith &Wesson scandium.
The Smith is a nicer and better shooting and more concealable 1911 but the High Standard has been a great pistol over the years but I fell in love with the scandium for various reasons.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3063 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One - kimber super carry pro.

The kimber 1911 do nothing for me.

But I do like the 1911 grip angle.

I like it in my p320 x five and in sig p210.

I will be buying one full size high end 1911.

Leaning towards a nighthawk thunder ranch. Any other recommendations.

There are some very good gun shops specializing in 1911 in south Florida.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
On the high end2k-3k I have shot an Ed Brown and a Wilson. Both were very very nice pistols.
Saying that I am not sure that a 1500.00 pistol would not have done the same thing.
If you get a real good 1911 shooter, he could probably shoot as well with a 500.00 1911 as someone who has not shot much carrying a high end 1911.
I shoot well but apparently not well enough to wring the most out of 3k pistol compared to a 1500.00 one but the 2 I mentioned are definitely top notch and there are a few others as well.
Someone here hopefully points you in the right direction.
MCMXI tu2

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3063 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of them...

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cal30, I would like to ask what you think the extra $1500 is spent on. A 1911 is a weapon. Presumably some of the extra money spent on a $1500 gun as opposed to a $700 gun, is spent on making it a better weapon. That means (to me) making it more accurate and more reliable with better ergonomics.To a certain extent there is a tension between these aims. There is also, IMHO, a limit to what needs to be spent to accomplish these aims. Anything extra is NOT spent on these objectives but is spent on something else. What? Looks! Now, there is nothing wrong with owning a beautiful weapon, but that does not make it a better weapon. Long story short, you may already be "wringing the most out of your $3000 gun!
Just my $0.02.
I have a few (bullseye) target guns. They will shoot 2" at 50 yards, and they did not cost $3000, or even $1500. They were customized from a factory gun. Are they reliable? Yes. Never failed me at the target range yet! Am I going to throw it into a river, fish it out, run over it with a pickup truck and then expect it to shoot? NO! If anyone here wants to do this to their $1500 gun please do so and give us a report (with pictures).
If you are a shooter, I would look at the guns that the IPSC and IDPA shooters use. They expect good accuracy, excellent reliability and excellent ergonomics. Anything else is just for show. IMHO (again). Of course, how many of those are 1911's?
Now, if you are talking about 2011's, all bets are off!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Peter
Well said.
What I was trying to convey is I'm not 100% positive I am wringing out the most from my 1500.00 pistol let alone a 3000.00 one if I owned one that costly.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only have 14 so, no!

rotflmo You sound a lot like me! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Peter
Well said.
What I was trying to convey is I'm not 100% positive I am wringing out the most from my 1500.00 pistol let alone a 3000.00 one if I owned one that costly.

A red dot system will a aimpoint arco or trijicon sro would make a significant difference to me.

Shopping for my 1911 or 1911 hybrid like the Wilson combat x9 will be fun and will have a Red dot.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this seems sacrilegious but, after owning several 1911's (including a Gold Cup and a complete custom build) I prefer the feel of a Hi Power. However my .45acp carry is a SIG P220 Micro.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1037 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer the feel of a Hi Power.

A improved 1911.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I like the feel of ALL of my Browning Hi-Powers, my Colt Model 1911s, and their spawn from various manufacturers. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too; I never could see going over to the dark side of Glock. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me too; I never could see going over to the dark side of Glock

My SR1911 gets it's exercise every Sunday the others sit it the safe.

My Hi-powers sit in the safe.

One glock 23 get the crap worn out of it because I can't not hurt it or reduce it's value any more. Unless I lost it or destroyed it.

It is great to have around doing chores I can bang it ,scrap it, knock it about without worry.

I really like my Glock 24 it is getting exercised more and more.

My 686+ goes on my daily walks.

It is nothing for me to carry 3 different or more handguns at different times during the day depending on what I am doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can certainly understand your rationale; I have a custom Randle knife that is so nice I don't take it in the woods. I just use my old tried + true Puma White Hunter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one 1911 and one Browning Hi Power, both all steel and no plastic...Carried both for years, the Browning in Mexico as we were not allowed the 1911 in Mexico as it was the issue pistol for the Army and some Mexican federal agencys. I think thats still in effect..I was fortunate enought to get certified as a Mexican Federal Officer adn still have that Identification, with no experation..I keep it framed in my office..I know of no other gringo that has one.. beer but to be safe and not push my luck I didn't pack the 1911 in Mexico..

As a matter of fact my favorite 1911 was my issue colt in 38 Super and with the then available Super Vel ammo it was hell and destruction, really over looked..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
As a 18 year old kid in the Army back in the 60's a 1911 was the first centerfire handgun I ever fired and I've had a soft spot for them ever since.

After thinning the herd of several of my guns (getting a few miles on me with no heirs) I'm down to just three 1911's....all are 5", stainless and chambered in 45ACP.

Ruger SR1911
SA Mil-Spec
S & W 'E" Series

I rotate taking them to the range twice weekly and run 50 rounds through them each trip of my 230 gr. FMJ ball ammo.

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Exactly what hikerbum said.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, to answer the OP, how many calibers do you shoot?
I am not sure what is meant by the term "1911". Do you mean a linked barrel, barrel bushing, or just an external hammer?
I have such guns in 45acp., 10mm., 38 Super, 9mm and 9x21. Eash serves a different purpose. Bullseye guns are not carry guns. Race guns are not carry guns, and neither are hunting guns.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Not sure but I 'think' the OP means any 1911 barrel style (linked, ramped etc), any barrel length and pretty much any caliber for any purpose.
I am far from knowing everything but doesn't all 1911's have external hammers?

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I was commenting because some of my guns listed above are EAA's or CZ's. They don't have the grip safety but some may regard them as 1911 style.
Peter.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
You are right EAA does have a 1911, it is imported from Turkey and built by Girsan, CZ (which has bought Colt) builds a 1911 also which is a pretty darn good gun.
I have several EAA Witness pistols (45 ACP, 400 Corbon, 38 Super, 9x25 Dillon, 40 S&W, 357 Sig) and I would consider them CZ75 'style'. I still need to add a 9mm to that bunch.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merely my opinion: an excellent quality 1911-A1 sits alone upon the pinnacle of handguns. I own S&W and Ruger double-action revolvers and Sig "P" series double-action semi-autos. My Springfield Armory 1911-A1's are the most reliable handguns I own with Sigs running a close second. Never allow anyone to tell you that revolvers are most reliable. I've experienced more than a few catastrophic failures with S&W revolvers.

When I'm in wilderness areas where mean critters call home, I carry my Springfield Armory TRP .45 ACP. I never carry a handgun while I'm big game hunting with a big game rifle. When I'm fishing or exploring wilderness areas, my TRP is close at hand.

No, you can never own too many good quality 1911-A1's.

My TRP is far more accurate than I'm capable of shooting it

For conceal carry in urban areas, I rely upon my Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM. It's the definition of reliability. And it's amazingly accurate.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, my college-age daughter can go through a case of .45 ACP ammo inside of a couple hours perforating cans with my TRP. She enjoys target shooting. She has told me that my TRP is merely on loan to me. When she graduates from college, it'll be hers. Reality is I'll buy her one for a graduation present. She's OK shooting my EMP 3 9MM, but she loves my TRP .45. She'll shoot my TRP before she'll look at a revolver

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
Merely my opinion: an excellent quality 1911-A1 sits alone upon the pinnacle of handguns. I own S&W and Ruger double-action revolvers and Sig "P" series double-action semi-autos. My Springfield Armory 1911-A1's are the most reliable handguns I own with Sigs running a close second. Never allow anyone to tell you that revolvers are most reliable. I've experienced more than a few catastrophic failures with S&W revolvers.

When I'm in wilderness areas where mean critters call home, I carry my Springfield Armory TRP .45 ACP. I never carry a handgun while I'm big game hunting with a big game rifle. When I'm fishing or exploring wilderness areas, my TRP is close at hand.

No, you can never own too many good quality 1911-A1's.

My TRP is far more accurate than I'm capable of shooting it

For conceal carry in urban areas, I rely upon my Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM. It's the definition of reliability. And it's amazingly accurate.

I never liked 1911
till last year.

my kimber did nothing for me.

i love my dan wessons.

i like the trp - it is a nice gun. i will probably buy one after I am
done breaking in my dan wessons.

i like 9mm 1911 - very easy too shoot and if i was buying a nighthawk i would get a thunder ranch in 9mm.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've experienced more than a few catastrophic failures with S&W revolvers.

I would like to know what you consider a catastrophic failure in a S@W revolver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. That's something I've never seen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Me too. That's something I've never seen.

I saw a model 29 that a couple of guys keep loading hotter and hotter till the cly gave way.

S@W replaced it.