Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP reloading question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted
I have come across a batch of 45 ACP brass with small primer pockets. I usually reload the larger primer pocket brass. What type of primers do people use in the small primer pocket brass?
Thank you in advance

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use what ever small pistol primer I can buy the cheapest.

I have used all brands.

the charges in a 45 are small any good primer well set them off

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you PD shooter
The small pistol primers worked really well.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just word of caution. Check that the flash hole is the same size as the decapping pin on your decapping rod. There was some European "HP" headstamp where it was a smaller flash hole. Good brass, no issues there, but check the flash hole size first.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello enfieldspares,
I have had that experience with 9mm brass not 45 ACP yet Big Grin

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Just word of caution. Check that the flash hole is the same size as the decapping pin on your decapping rod. There was some European "HP" headstamp where it was a smaller flash hole. Good brass, no issues there, but check the flash hole size first.

See this:

https://books.google.ch/books?...20ammunition&f=false

If your brass isn't specifically headstamped 45 ACP, you might want to measure the case length. Small pistol primer 45 ACP brass is, I think, pretty rare. Might make good brass for resizing to a .40 neck though.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink, I think that Blazer reloadable brass has the small pistol primer. I see a fair amount of it at the range.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Wink, I think that Blazer reloadable brass has the small pistol primer. I see a fair amount of it at the range.
Peter.

I bought some Blazer 45 acp when Gander Mountain went under. I was unpleasantly surprised to find it was small primered brass. Nothing wrong with it, but as all my other brass is large primer it's a PITA keeping it separate when reloading.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I set aside all the 45 ACP brass with small pistol primer pockets and give them to a fellow shooter. I find it annoying that they even came up with this idea.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
We can thank Federal for that. What they have saved (even in the millions of rounds) have really screwed up those of us w/ progressive presses.I use a Dillon 650 for my .45 + one can't take that much time to inspect every primer pocket size.I have to ask specifically when purchasing used brass anymore.I probably have enough to last the rest of my days but it is an inconvenience.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The move to Small Pistol Primers in .45 ACP is bassed on lead free priming compounds for indoor ranges. It's not a new conspiracy against reloaders.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote