Find
Notify
Tools

Who here plays with a Tokarev?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Aim Surplus just had a small batch of C&R-eligible Romanian TT-33 Tokarev pistols for sale for very little money. I had to order one, having had a Norinco version in 7.62X25 maybe 30 years ago.
Two impressions have stayed with me regarding this old Soviet warhorse design: wow, this Browning-inspired pistol is slim; and wow, that little bullet gets down range right quick!
Look forward to handling one again.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a non issued Polish one, way better quality than the Soviets, they're a pretty common gun up here.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Griz, you can own one in Alberta? Cool!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill,I always hate to hear those words,"you can own one?...anywhere."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I seem to be laboring under some misunderstanding regarding handgun owner ship in Canada. Hope Griz will set me straight.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill,yeah would be nice to know,just for G.P.We all hear so many horror stories from around the world on firearms rights infringements. I think we are the last bastion.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Soviet, 1941 made, Tokarev. The standard one, not the slightly less usual earlier one. As BILL/OREGON says those bullets went downrange pretty quick!

I used surplus steel case ammunition that had the bullet with the steel core. It was corrosive so the pistol had to be boiled out.

It shot well enough...four inches at twenty five yards bit, my, was it noisy! I also had a 1924 dated Nagant revolver. That the range reloaded for.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Spares, with an earlier Norinco Tokarev I ran some of the corrosive surplus sub-gun ammo, and it was nasty indeed, but I sure as heck would have hated to be on the receiving end of those rounds. And yes -- nearly as loud as a .357 out of a short barrel.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I need to make an order today on the Tok. I have an extra magazine and brass cased ammo coming from another source. Be Well. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I've not owned a TT-33 or a Yugo 58, but am currently building my own design of semi-auto carbine in 7.62 x 25 Tok.

Receiver is about 95%; bolt is 98% needs extractor installed, working on fire control group/Safety.
Just about ready to chamber it.
Then off to the range. I have no doubts it'll fire.

Should be a fun little toy

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got one from AIM Surplus. Will shoot it as soon as possible. Be Well. Packy

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I carried one for awhile in Vietnam and then kept one as a vehicle gun for many years.

They are fantastic guns and with hollow points wicked on soft tissue and great penetrators with solids.

When I was testing 9mm Buffalo Bore ammo to judge its ability as a bear protection load I also compared it with the 30 Tokarev and 180 gr Buffalo Bore 357 and the Tokarev was closer to the 357 than the 9mm.
Which was no surprise to me, but had I used it to kill a bear I would have been crucified by the big Bore crowd !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
.458, point well taken. lol

Years ago I had a Tokarev but let it go to a friend who just had to have it. Kind of wish I'd kept it. They are pretty decent little pistols, especially for the money.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well so far all I am doing is playing with mine. Either the magazine catch or the magazine is defective and it won't stay seated. Ordered another magazine billed as fitting this model Tok, and I would have to pound it in with a hammer. Guess I need to try yet another magazine. It's always something with some of the surplus "bargains.' On the other hand, the CZ-82 in 9 Mak runs like butter.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m angry that you introduced me to Aim Surplus!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DCS, this too shall pass. Be Well. Packy

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If this is an internet legend call me on it; but it was passed to me by a gun dealer in the area that I trust otherwise. When the TT33 first started showing up at cheap prices a woman bought one and some Romanian surplus because she was frugal. At some point she was home-invaded and forced to shoot an intruder. The round entered the top of the shoulder near the collar bone and exited the butt cheek. I can see that happening with FMJ at 16-1700 fps but does anyone have similar data?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I don't Tiggertate, but I have run some very hot sub-gun surplus ammo through Toks and "penetration R us."

– John Green, author

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there used to be warning language about some tok ammo being REALLY hot - Bulgarian 3-10-52 is rumored stuff .. along with "pink" boxes --

i don't recall much past that, and it might be a myth

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind having some of the surplus sub gun ammo. The stuff I have is mostly cracked neck stuff. Really crap looking from Aim. I wanted the brass cased ammo for an experiment. A friend used to tell me about heating the empty fired cases, filling them with hot lead for projectiles in the 9.3X57. He said they were most effective. Had used them on a range bull that might have been charging him. I wish I knew his name and contact info. I could always use some way to save money to shoot my 9.3s. I may see what this Tok does with a new cracked case. One shot. Then I will pick out all the split neck ammo and disassemble it. Powder can always be used as a nitrate fertilizer. Be Well, Packy.