Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Ppk in 22lr
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I've been considering one of these... haven't seen one in person and don't know anyone that has one..

I already have the older Interarms German made ones in 32 and 380...

Haven't seen or read anything I'd consider credible on the current offering.

Anybody have one? any experience with the 22?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
A helicopter pilot friend of mine in Mississippi carried one when he was flying drug sweeps across the state and said it wasn't completely reliable and switched it out for a Colt Mustang which he said ate anything crammed in it. The only 22 lr Walther I ever shot was his and it had at least one malfunction in every two magazines.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a German .22 PPK/S fairly extensively with standard velocity ammunition and Walther factory magazines, and it runs fine. Surprisingly accurate, and pleasant to shoot. It would run even better on quality high velocity ammo, such as CCI Mini Mags, but they don't suit my purpose.

Beware the .22 Walther TPH (A mini version of the PPK), which is well known to be problematic in its US-made version, and not very reliable in the German version (which is quite expensive.) They must be kept very clean for best reliability, but even with that, I would avoid the American TPH's like the plague, based on my experience and that of several friends with them.

I have handled, but not shot, the "Walther" .22 "PPKS" pot-metal "thing" they are peddling now for about $300. I don't get good vibes about the build quality. It certainly will depreciate, rather than accrue value like the German guns, which can be found for not-too-hideous prices if you search around.

That's especially true if you don't mind a Manurhin Walther .22 /PPK/PPKs (French), which are well built, but cost a good bit less than the German marked guns. Original spare magazines for these .22LR Walthers are about $75-$100 apiece, depending on how patient you are and how willing you are to look around for them.

Many of the Walther factory mags are not marked, but all post-war .22 magazine bodies/followers adhere to an exact format which will allow you to recognize them once you have learned what they look like. PPK .22 magazines are much harder to find than the PP/PPKS magazines, in my experience, so I would factor that in with my decision. The presence and number of magazines with any real Walther .22 is a significant factor.

If all you want it for is a plinker and the current cheapo gun seems ok to you, then it's an inexpensive way to have some fun. However, I would not expect it to be reliable and absolutely would not consider it for any sort of defensive role, if that's your interest.

If you don't mind handloading a bit, you can load .32 ACP with inexpensive machine-cast lead bullets for about the price of rimfire, and have lots of fun with the older Walther you have.

I hope this helps!
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PaFrank

PM sent.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote