New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taurus Tracker - 44 Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently stumbled across a used, blued Tracker in 44 Mag with a 4in. barrel. I've never been a fan of porting on guns in general. Not really against it just haven't had a need to avail myself of the addition to the gun.

Web reviews are favorable. One review indicated that it didn't really have porting but more of an integral muzzle brake. This would permit the use of cast bullets

Any thoughts, insight or practical experience would be appreciated.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot cast bullets in mine never gave it a thought one way or the other.

But then it is more of a safe queen then any thing else. I have other 44s that I use more.

I would buy a Smith or Ruger if I were going to subject a 44 to a lot of shooting.

Or if the Taurus was a cheap buy like mine was.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own a tracker or any 44mag for that matter, but I have shot cast bullets in 41mag, 45LC, 357mag and a host of semi-auto pistols and have never even considered whether the gun had porting. I don't know what difference porting or the lack of it would have to do with what projectile a guy was shooting.

As to the longevity of a Taurus revolver, I have put quite a few rounds down the barrel of my Taurus M66 357mag and it is just as tight and accurate as the day I bought it new, and some of those rounds were on the hot side.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that porting and cast bullets don't play well together. The idea is that the lead will plug off the porting and is a pain to clean. Don't know if this is the case or not but have heard from multiple sources over the years.

I don't care for the added muzzle blast.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care for the added muzzle blast.

They are louder for sure.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I picked it up the day before Harvey hit. The gun is like new. Got it with the case, docs and lock plus a box of PMC Bronze out the door for $400.01.

Hopefully I'll get to shoot it this weekend. I like the lines on this gun and the way it feels/balances.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my sister in law has one. I shot it a fair amount with several different full power 44 Magnum loads, CCI shotshells, and with 240 gr cast bullets over 7.5, 8.5, and 9.2 gr of Unique in 44 Magnum brass.
The barrel ports did reduce recoil and muzzle flip. The rubber grips were comfortable as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in SS. Great carry in bear country. Kicks like hell with hot loads. Not a gun to burn through boxes of ammo, but so light to carry.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote