Find
Notify
Tools

Armi Jager 1873 .38-40
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
I have stumbled across a Colt SA clone from the mid to late 70s that I am interested. It is in the original box unfired. It is an all steel model without the brass grip frame.

What little I can find about these guns are that they were imported beginning in the early 60's when spaghetti westerns were big and everyone wanted a SA cowboy gun. From what I have read, they were very well made, probably the best of the italian knockoffs. Does anyone have any info about these guns? What would be a decent price? Everywhere I've seen one for sale was 8-10 years ago and they were 250-300.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I remember those; I would place value somewhere between Uberti and Armi San Marco.

Posts: 17018 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I offered him $375. I believe he was looking for more around the $500 mark.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Way too much.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Yeah I honestly thought I was stepping out on a limb offering that. I just really wanted a .38-40.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well I do recommend you still get one; I shoot them almost exclusively in SAAs and I have a 66 Musket in 38-40. Custom barrel that I put on it.
Nice round, but just get a new Cimarron, or the like. Best feeding of all as it is bottle necked. I use 44-40 brass mostly as it is easier to get.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I had been looking and didnt see anyone who still chambered 38 WCF, but Cimarron does.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Well the guy called me back and we made a deal. Picked it up yesterday. If I had to guess it was made in the mid 1970's. It is absolutely flawless. Definetely has never been fired or out of the box much. Fit and finish are really nice. The wood grips are nice but are a little bland. Now gotta get some brass and dies.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post

I have really enjoyed shooting this pistol so far. Lots of fun. I have noticed I need to be a lot more careful when sizing the brass, it is very easy to crush the mouth if it's not in the press just right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass too long? Need to trim perhaps?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No he means the 38-40 brass is very thin in the mouth which it is, and if you aren't careful in sizing, if your brass hits the die bottom, it will crush. Length has nothing to do with it.Which is why I use mostly 44-40 brass; It might be a tad bit thicket in the neck. Can't tell the difference when sizing it the first time.
Very thin necks, is the point.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Yes the brass is very thin at the mouth and I reload on a single stage. I get a little fast sometimes and bang the case mouth on the die bottom. I am using Starline which seems to be good brass, I am interested in how many loadings I can get before they start splitting.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Starline too; last a long time. Both 38 and 44-40; same.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Doc. Mike Venturino has commented on the vulnerable neck in this caliber -- and on the fact the bottleneck makes this one of the "cleanest" rounds to shoot with black powder.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Well, the guy that had this gun had another one, a 3.5" barreled "Sheriff" model in 45 Colt. He traded it to another guy, who listed it for sale. I got away with it for $200. It's been shot, but not abused. From what I can tell, they are somewhat rare in that they didn't make many without the case ejector and with steel trigger guards and backstraps. I feel like I came off with a hell of a deal. Can't wait to shoot it.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
Thanks, I had been looking and didnt see anyone who still chambered 38 WCF, but Cimarron does.

Check Taylor's Firearms.
https://www.taylorsfirearms.co...standard-finish.html

These are very popular with the Cowboy Shooters.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Those tuned taylor's sure seem like very nice guns for the money. One of those in 44-40 will likely be on my short list.

Shot this 45 yesterday, and man is it fun. Using american eagle 255gr loads, it is very controllable, and pretty dang accurate. Only complaint is after 3-4 cylinders, it doesn't want to release the cases. May need a good cleaning, but I wish it had an ejector rod.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
Those tuned taylor's sure seem like very nice guns for the money. One of those in 44-40 will likely be on my short list.

Shot this 45 yesterday, and man is it fun. Using american eagle 255gr loads, it is very controllable, and pretty dang accurate. Only complaint is after 3-4 cylinders, it doesn't want to release the cases. May need a good cleaning, but I wish it had an ejector rod.

They really do shoot very nice. Many cowboy shooters go with these. I really want a set in 38-40. I have 2 sets of Vaqueros in 44 mag fitted with extra cylinders in 44-40.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
No ejector rod?/was that a factory (nonfeature?)

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
No ejector rod?/was that a factory (nonfeature?)

Yes, the "Sheriff" model did not come with an ejector or the provisions to mount them. What little information I have gleaned is that they are slightly more valuable. I have never seen another with steel grip frame, so not sure about that. The .38-40 that I purchased previously also had a steel frame, but it was the standard model.