THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    I am thinking about buying a single action revolver.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am thinking about buying a single action revolver.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
no, but a 2 handed hold is.

I cleaned my barrel with JB and it is now shooting better.Someone saw me shooting it with one hand today and he suggested i keep my other had in my pocket.It would help with balance he said.I tried his suggestion and it seemed to help.

man, now ur going old school. our police, military quit shooting that way in the 50s (?). whatever works for you, but a two handed hold will always be more accurate than a one hand hold. try it. either the cup and saucer hold or the off hand support hold. facing the target with shoulders squared to the target, not standing sideways. revolvers are a hoot to shoot any way you do it.

I will look into those two handed holds.Do you think shooting handgun helps with rifle shooting?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
If customs (yours and ours) will let you bring it down, then do so. I have plenty of leather that will fit that gun!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will look into those two handed holds.Do you think shooting handgun helps with rifle shooting

All the same principles apply only more so.

So yes if you shoot a handgun good you can shot a rifle better.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was out shooting with it again yesterday.I shot about 40rds.I have noticed that every time I have shot it, about 10 times now, my first 5 shots(first fouler excluded) will hit dead centre and group about the size of a grape fruit at 25-30yds.Most of the remaining rds will drift to the left and up and the group will get larger. This is shooting with one hand and standing.The bullets I am using are the Elemer Keith 255gr bullets at #25 hardness.I have just received the same style bullets but from another manufacturer and #12 hardness.I will try these next weekend and see how they shoot.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
will hit dead centre and group about the size of a grape fruit at 25-30yds.Most of the remaining rds will drift to the left and up and the group will get larger

It is not the gun you are getting tired you are then trying to compensate by seeing more front sight.

Also you are pulling to the handgun to the left with your finger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
will hit dead centre and group about the size of a grape fruit at 25-30yds.Most of the remaining rds will drift to the left and up and the group will get larger

It is not the gun you are getting tired you are then trying to compensate by seeing more front sight.

Also you are pulling to the handgun to the left with your finger.

It could be.Next time I will try shooting it from a rest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the new bullets from a rest at about 30yds.They all shot further to the left than the previous bullets and had vertical dispersion of about 6 inches.I then went back to my standing, one hand stance and used kentucky windage to hit centre.As I continued to shoot,it seemed that group size got smaller.I now have adjusted the windage screw counterclockwise to move my shots to the right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot this target at 30yds with a two hand hold.
I did not clean after the last session and noticed it had no effect on accuracy.
[URL= ]35yds[/URL]
The smaller bullet holes are from my 308win rifle at 50yds.
The first 6 shots were the most accurate.They are the ones that grouped very well just to the left of the bullseye.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun afternoon. I bought a consec. ser. # pr of 1st model USFA .45s unfired a few years ago + sent them to Hartford for Ivory stocks. Gave them them to my son when he got back from service in Iraq.Nice shooters + IMO,a great gift for coming home alive.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Looks like a fun afternoon. I bought a consec. ser. # pr of 1st model USFA .45s unfired a few years ago + sent them to Hartford for Ivory stocks. Gave them them to my son when he got back from service in Iraq.Nice shooters + IMO,a great gift for coming home alive.

That is a great gift for sure.Yes shooting the 45 single action Colt makes for a fun afternoon.

posted Hide Post
Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt are notorious for having undersized cylinder throats. The bullet ends up getting swaged down and is undersized for the bore, like a shooting a golf ball down a drain pipe. Mine, when new, wouldn't do better than about 6' in groups at 25 yards, after reaming it will shoot 1" groups at 25 yds.

You can ream them yourself with this reamer Dave Manson makes and a can of cutting oil or there are guys here in the states who will do it for a nominal fee.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...reamer-prod7700.aspx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3:10:
Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt are notorious for having undersized cylinder throats. The bullet ends up getting swaged down and is undersized for the bore, like a shooting a golf ball down a drain pipe. Mine, when new, wouldn't do better than about 6' in groups at 25 yards, after reaming it will shoot 1" groups at 25 yds.

You can ream them yourself with this reamer Dave Manson makes and a can of cutting oil or there are guys here in the states who will do it for a nominal fee.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...reamer-prod7700.aspx

My groups are too large.I am going to check cylinder size once again.Thanks for the link.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I slugged the bore and cylinders today.I used a few slugs to get the most accurate reading I could get with my calibers.The cylinders are no doubt .4500-.4505 the bore is.4485-.4490- .4495-.4500-.4505(the widest parts on the slug).My bullets are .4520 so they are being swaged by the cylinders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to go ahead and order a reamer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the reamer and opened up the cylinders.It was very easy to do.The removable pilot was just the right size-I ordered one a little larger than the standard one it comes with after slugging and measuring my cylinders .I have not shot with it yet.The cast .452 bullets can now be just barely pushed through the cylinders,without force, with my fingers.I will shoot it and let you know if accuracy improved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the results also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will shoot it next weekend.I slugged and measured a cylinder and I now get measurements around .4520.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot it yesterday.There does seem to be an improvement but not a huge one.I will post the target up in a few days as I left it elsewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]30yds,standing two hand hold[/URL]
I am going to try casting my own bullets this week and giving them a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]
[URL= ]4[/URL]
[URL= ]5[/URL]
[URL= ]6[/URL]

A friend and shooter wanted to take part in my first bullet casting session.We made the best of the cold rainy weather.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I slugged the cylinder throats again a couple of times and I am getting .4510.So they are still undersize and swagging the .452 bullets.I need to get a larger reamer and open them up to .4530 so I can shoot my cast .4540 bullets.I suspect the small throats are causing the flyers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you shot if off a bench and bags.

That well give you give you a better idea then shooting off hand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you shot if off a bench and bags.

That well give you give you a better idea then shooting off hand.

Yes I have.It was shooting the same as if I was shooting offhand.When I am shooting offhand, I get a pretty good idea if I flinched or did not pull the trigger right.There is no explanation as to why 3 shots would group under an inch and the following shots strike 6 inches or more apart,then accurate again etc... when everything was done right....standing OR off a rest.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1: Find a coach who can teach you how to shoot a revolver. Not saying you aren't, but then you will know. Your explanation of it shooting very well, then not, then good again, is not the gun. Not saying is the shooter; but I coached our Brigade pistol team at Ft Knox once. And shot on a few teams. It's always the shooter.
2; Get some jacketed bullets and shoot them; those will tell you if it is your cylinder throats causing your issues; (it isn't).
3. Bring it over and we will figure it out.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
1: Find a coach who can teach you how to shoot a revolver. Not saying you aren't, but then you will know. Your explanation of it shooting very well, then not, then good again, is not the gun. Not saying is the shooter; but I coached our Brigade pistol team at Ft Knox once. And shot on a few teams. It's always the shooter.
2; Get some jacketed bullets and shoot them; those will tell you if it is your cylinder throats causing your issues; (it isn't).
3. Bring it over and we will figure it out.

According to what you are saying, if a cylinder throat is .4500 and shooting .4500 bullets in a .4520 bore, they should still be accurate?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I thought you said earlier that your cylinders were .452. Point is that revolvers do not shoot accurately, then suddenly start to shoot poorly, then come back again. When that happens it is the shooter. Also why I said to try some jacketed bullets; they won't gas cut and cause problems, if that is a problem with your Ruger.
Reaming out your cylinder to your groove size will be a good thing though.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet! Casting on a cold,rainy ,otherwise unproductive day is a great way to spend your time;+ you get the bullets too!Looks like from the way your friend is bundled that you have no worries about ventilation.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I thought you said earlier that your cylinders were .452. Point is that revolvers do not shoot accurately, then suddenly start to shoot poorly, then come back again. When that happens it is the shooter. Also why I said to try some jacketed bullets; they won't gas cut and cause problems, if that is a problem with your Ruger.
Reaming out your cylinder to your groove size will be a good thing though.

Yes,barrels with issues or worn out barrels that are just about to stop shooting, will shoot the way I explained.That is they will put two bullets in one hole and throw the next round completely off of the target.My throats were originally about .4500-.4505 and the reamer I got just reamed to .4510 not .4520.So the bullets are going into the barrel undersized.If you think revolvers are not accurate just look at one of Hickock's 45's videos on youtube.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.If you think revolvers are not accurate just look at one of Hickock's 45's videos on youtube.

I don't think dpcd isn't saying that the revolver isn't accurate.

I believe he is saying the shooter isn't accurate as he should be.

I have taught and seen thousands of people shoot handguns.

I have heard many times it is the guns fault.

99.9 percent of the time the shooter is having problems not the firearm.

I have picked up students guns many times and shot small groups with them.

Solves the problem of inaccurate guns.

Since your in Canada it might be hard for you to find an accomplished handgun shooter to fire your handgun.

Hickock's 45's is an exceptional shot up in the top 3 percent of shooters.

I have some where around 7 Ruger revolvers in the house besides some trigger work nothing has been done to them.

Most days they are more accurate then I am.

On the other days I shoot small groups out of them.

As with many shooters they chase the equipment problem trying to solve their own problem.

I am with dpcd I think it is the shooter not the firearm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
.If you think revolvers are not accurate just look at one of Hickock's 45's videos on youtube.

I don't think dpcd isn't saying that the revolver isn't accurate.

I believe he is saying the shooter isn't accurate as he should be.

I have taught and seen thousands of people shoot handguns.

I have heard many times it is the guns fault.

99.9 percent of the time the shooter is having problems not the firearm.

I have picked up students guns many times and shot small groups with them.

Solves the problem of inaccurate guns.

Since your in Canada it might be hard for you to find an accomplished handgun shooter to fire your handgun.

Hickock's 45's is an exceptional shot up in the top 3 percent of shooters.

I have some where around 7 Ruger revolvers in the house besides some trigger work nothing has been done to them.

Most days they are more accurate then I am.

On the other days I shoot small groups out of them.

As with many shooters they chase the equipment problem trying to solve their own problem.

I am with dpcd I think it is the shooter not the firearm.

I don't care how many Rugers you have.If you are instructing anyone then it is probably someone who has never shot much of anything in their lives.I doubt you shot much yourself.I told you I shot twice from a rest but you still insist it is my shooting.That tells me something about you.Also that you have insulted me on other threads.I think you just came on my thread to insult me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I have to bow to your superior shooting ability and knowledge of handguns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
These I cast myself using a 250gr,.4540 dia., RCBS mould.
I will try and shoot some this weekend.
Cylinder throats are now .4527 in.
I lubed them with the RCBS lube using the RCBS Lubamatic press and RCBS .4540 in. sizer.
The rounds chamber well in the cylinders.
[URL= ]45 Colt[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking reload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John + everyone,I have been of the Cols. thought for quite some time,I.E. a frontal 2 hand grip with sideways form+ will aleviate the process of the other adversary allow you to have both lungs shot through.That is the sense;the reality is that a frontal altercation is a reality that we can aim better. Sometimes simplicity works best.I know that what the Col. taught us at Gunsite was far superior to what Uncle Sugar EVER taught us.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to get the hang of it.

[URL= ]35yds offhand[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, stay safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldHPNnsp-cs

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite single action is an original Colt pistol, and resale value is out of sight on the one I have..It was my granddads Texas Ranger service pistol..at some point the sights were filed a tad and its on the money at 25 yards with most loads. I shot a few head of big game with it some years ago..today it close by most of the time..I had another Ruger 4 inch in 41 magnum custom gun, but sold it recently, I liked it a lot, but greed took over.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wanna talk about regrets Ray? in the mid-60s I was in Killen, Tx. next to Ft. Hood + went down to Buds Gun Shop on Ave D. He had an original 1873 in 45 but he had no BP ammo + would be a few months before he loaded any. I didn't handload at the time. He wanted $40.00 for the revolver + I was out of work at the moment + had $43.00 to my name so I passed. Oh well, as they say, Hindsight is 2020.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK I think you would be better off with a Ruger.

I agree. I have 2 vaqueros in 45. Been using them for cowboy for several years. Never had a problem, still tight as new.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Black Hawk chambered for .41 Mag that I carry when hunting in Alaska's big bear country. I Carrey it in a Military Tanker holster inside my rain gear when in camp and when hunting, and it is in my tent at night. I have killed bob cats, coyotes and mule deer with it as well. In fact, I killed a large bobcat at 120 yds with one shot to the chest with this Black Hawk. The problem with it is the factory ammo is hard to find today. I hand load it but bullets are also hard to find, and I don't like cast bullets, and prefer jacketed hollow points.
That is one handgun that will not be for sale as long as I live, or till BIDEN takes the second amendment away. Mad
.................................. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote