THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    I am thinking about buying a single action revolver.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am thinking about buying a single action revolver.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to take a day off and complete a course beforehand.Once I get my license I would like to own a .45 Colt Uberti cattleman.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I think you would be better off with a Ruger.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It could be fun to shoot and give good trigger control practice for my rifle shooting.I've watched too many westerns lately that and Hickock 45.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with p dog shooter. Why a single action? Unless you want to play cowboy or need a really powerfull hunting handgun than why not a quality double action?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I simply find the one I described above more interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler The best reason of all! Enjoy, be safe, have fun. Wink

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
Smiler The best reason of all! Enjoy, be safe, have fun. Wink

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could get a Ruger Vaquero instead.

posted Hide Post
You would be happy, but you would be more happy if you got one that was tuned. I have had five Vaqueros, both new and old. Every revolver I get, gets tuned. Now I just have Blackhawks and one Freedom Arms. Did nothing to the Freedom Arms, what a great build. Do yourself a favor get one from Long Hunter or Evil Roy that has been tuned.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson

Posts: 6 | Location: Color Me Gone | Registered: 01 October 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swilling:
You would be happy, but you would be more happy if you got one that was tuned. I have had five Vaqueros, both new and old. Every revolver I get, gets tuned. Now I just have Blackhawks and one Freedom Arms. Did nothing to the Freedom Arms, what a great build. Do yourself a favor get one from Long Hunter or Evil Roy that has been tuned.

I'll check that out thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a hard look at the USFA single action revolvers. Many people think they are the best Colt style SAA's
ever made. I have one that I really like. It is a 45 Colt, 4 3/4 inch barrel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a picture of a Black Hawk and I really like their look.It being a Ruger it should work well and be tough.The USFA model would be tops I am sure but probably expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you make your decision check out the Bisley style Ruger single action. For me it is a much easier design to shoot comfortably. I had a traditional single action and switched to the Bisley.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will check the Bisley out for sure.I want a revolver that feels and points good.Something solid as well and one that is accurate and shoots true to where the sights are centred.I can't stand an open sight firearm that shoots really off to where it should shoot with its sights centred.I've registered for our obligatory handgun permit course for this week.Starting to look at reloading dies, powders,bullets etc...I have not fired more than half a dozen pistol rounds in my lifetime.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I completed my course today-a theoretical and practical exam.I had a very good instructor.He must be in his 60's-70's.He was in the army, was a career police officer and has been reloading and shooting for over 50 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got some RCBS dies and components for reloading the 45 Colt.I used the Lee crimping die on a Win case and store bought 255gr cast bullet.

[URL= ]Lee crimp[/URL]

I wonder if the Lee crimp is not too hard on the cases?

one of us
posted Hide Post
That crimp does NOT look good IMHO. The edge of the case should be the end of the crimp.
Just my 2 cents.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I left a deposit on a New Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt,in blue with a 4.62 inch barrel.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Take a hard look at the USFA single action revolvers. Many people think they are the best Colt style SAA's
ever made. I have one that I really like. It is a 45 Colt, 4 3/4 inch barrel.

Very good advice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, you made a good choice with the Blackhawk. Since you have decided to handload for your new sixgun, you will appreciate the adjustable sights.
Here is some top-grade reading material on your gun and cartridge:

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,Bill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
That crimp does NOT look good IMHO. The edge of the case should be the end of the crimp.
Just my 2 cents.
Peter

Looks too hard to me also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Picked it up today.I might try it out tommorow.
I have loaded some rounds with 7.6grs of unique and 255gr,store bought,lead cast Semi Wadcutters.

[URL= ]Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried it out and all went smooth.

Here is a picture of the 15yd target.

This is one of my very few times shooting a hand gun.

I was shooting using one hand only.I believe it is the duelling style.I call it the Hickock 45 style.

[URL= ]Ruger 45 colt[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I slugged the cylinder chamber and barrel for measurements.
Cylinder throat dia. .4505
Barrel groove dia. .4490 Bore dia. .4440
Bullet dia. .4515

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Shootaway, you made a good choice with the Blackhawk. Since you have decided to handload for your new sixgun, you will appreciate the adjustable sights.
Here is some top-grade reading material on your gun and cartridge:

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

Agreed- George, the Blackhawk is a fine revolver and damned near indestructible. Mine's a .357.

Enjoy yours!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Here is another target I shot in the same manner at 25yds.I need to adjust my sights a bit to the right.
[URL= ]25yds[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another today.I did not adjust the sights.
[URL= ]25yds[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
OK I think you would be better off with a Ruger.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Picked it up today.I might try it out tommorow.
I have loaded some rounds with 7.6grs of unique and 255gr,store bought,lead cast Semi Wadcutters.

[URL= ]Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt[/URL]
tu2 tu2 patriot

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Dogone fun to shoot. Sure a double-action revolver shoots faster, but the Blackhawk is just a boatload of fun to shoot.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure is.
I have loaded some rounds with W-231.I will see how that shoots.
I need to join another shooting club as the one I go to does not allow leaded bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the rds loaded with W-231.I found them very similar to Unique but with a bit more recoil.I have not used a chrono.
I decided to test myself and the pistol at longer ranges.I got about the same sized groups at 35yds as I did at 25yds.It was a different story at 40yds.At 40yds I could not hit the whole target.I was wondering if jacketed bullets were more accurate at longer ranges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no, but a 2 handed hold is.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:

I cleaned my barrel with JB and it is now shooting better.Someone saw me shooting it with one hand today and he suggested i keep my other had in my pocket.It would help with balance he said.I tried his suggestion and it seemed to help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you ever adjust the sights.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Congratulations George that's a nice looking revolver. I love my Rugers. You should bring it with you this summer when you come up for the shoot. Find a nice holster and you can wear it everywhere you go while here in Montana! Smiler

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Did you ever adjust the sights.

No.I wanted to make sure that nothing else was the cause.The group was a little more towards the centre yesterday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Congratulations George that's a nice looking revolver. I love my Rugers. You should bring it with you this summer when you come up for the shoot. Find a nice holster and you can wear it everywhere you go while here in Montana! Smiler

I didn't know that.Now that is a freedom loving state! I never thought about buying a holster for it.I think the only time we can use a holster here is when we are shooting a certain competition event at the range.That would be quite an experience...walking amongst the mountains with a holster and handgun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:

I cleaned my barrel with JB and it is now shooting better.Someone saw me shooting it with one hand today and he suggested i keep my other had in my pocket.It would help with balance he said.I tried his suggestion and it seemed to help.

man, now ur going old school. our police, military quit shooting that way in the 50s (?). whatever works for you, but a two handed hold will always be more accurate than a one hand hold. try it. either the cup and saucer hold or the off hand support hold. facing the target with shoulders squared to the target, not standing sideways. revolvers are a hoot to shoot any way you do it.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote