THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    The new Canik TP9 SFX is bargain!!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new Canik TP9 SFX is bargain!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow GG, that is very interesting and good information! It seems that the trigger on the Canik has come in for some very good reviews with short reset etc. I wonder if you have got a bad one? In fact, the OP claimed an "incredible trigger". Have you contacted Century Arms, EAA or whatever? Of course it could be that your standards are different!
I am on hold with this gun until I get more information!!
Thanks again
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter:

No, and I'm not going to. I hate shipping stuff and am not going to bother for a pistol that someone will buy at some number, or, will make another loaded paperweight somewhere around the house. This trigger would work under stress, where one is not going to slowly press/squeeze trigger and I doubt any but the most trained among us, will really do so in the dark, scared, possibly half asleep. Under those conditions, I'll be lucky to maintain "Front Sight, Front Sight!", but for fun/range shooting, it sucks.

My personal trigger standards are quite high, but I don't expect out of the box factory guns to meet them, one has to be reasonable. For instance, while I don't love them, factory Glock triggers are perfectly serviceable and, to date, I've never had one that was really bad.

Simple solution is to try the Canik trigger out in store if they will let you do it.

In this case, it really ain't the length of pull, although that's is part of it, or the weight that is so obnoxious, it is the "loading" if that makes any sense, it's sort of like a 2 stage trigger, but the second stage still has more room to move before actual firing.

AFA reset goes, of course I really can't comment on that until I shoot it, which, at this point, may be never. I don't know that I can really get used to a short reset trigger, it might be helpful under stress.

Might be a good "spray and pray" gun for those who don't really know how to shoot.

With all fees, shipping, etc I've got $576 in it. Unfired, if anyone in Texas wants it, $425. FTF ONLY, which pretty much excludes residents of El Paso and Amarillo area. I hate bad triggers.

While I'm at it, same situation with .22 Ruger Mk III Target (I think Target is right, not regular thin barrel, been a while since I threw it in a pile of boxes)....worst trigger ever. I paid something over $400 for it....unfired in box, likely dusty.....$275 FTF in Texas ONLY.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: When and if I get around to it, which may be never, I'll disassemble it and see if I can do or find anything that might help pull. I want to be clear, this is an out of box, unfired, etc review, for all I know there might be a rat turd in trigger somewhere.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell uv a deal! i was going to suggest that you take a look and see if there is anything obvious! I am not that familiar with these triggers myself. I have changed them out on a Glock, but that is all!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering whether this was a new production gun and perhaps has some issues that the older (original) ones did not have? Perhaps worth a phone call.
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, while picking up a couple of Chiappa shotguns at the Academy in Tyler, (see Shotgun thread if interested)about 100 mi from my home, I figured WTH, and added a Sig 2022 9mm to the pile, since I had to fill out the electonic 4473, which was a real PIA to a computer idiot, like me. At any rate, without firing, the 2022 has a REALLY nice trigger, not perfect, but very nice. DA is a very smooth, fairly light pull through with no "staging". SA has a long first stage, then some creep, but still very acceptable. Really if I had my choice, for a defensive weapon, the DA only would be preferable if they made such. Again, without firing, a damn nice gun for $440. Highly recommended. Beats the hell out of the Canik trigger IMO, and yes, I know I'm comparing apples and oranges.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, more or less comparing apples to oranges, the trigger on the 9mm 2022 is considerably better than the trigger on a standard P220 .45. Smoother in DA and significantly lighter in SA.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Canik TP9 was on sale here for $299 one day only at my LGS. I passed on it looking to buy another Sig but still on the fence of P320 or p2022.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 320 coming, but, for my purposes, I'd prefer the DA/SA OF the 2022, since the 320 is DA only. If the primary purpose is self defense, you might prefer the DA only.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the subcompact P250 DAO and it is a winner but not able to find one in full size so looking at the P320 or maybe P2022 or both Thanks

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried all the Canik triggers and I prefer the TP9SA model the best.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my gunsmith put a Burris surefire.

Shoots great

Terrible trigger but the red dot is a lot of fun.

I shot the canik and a hk vp9 - canik with red dot was a lot more fun.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I started a new thread about putting a reflex sight on a pistol. It was for my Canik TP9SFX! I assume you mean "fastfire" and not "surefire"? Which model and what is the dot size? I assume you used one of the provided plates? Did you have to use the (provided) slide racker?
Thanks, Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Mike, I started a new thread about putting a reflex sight on a pistol. It was for my Canik TP9SFX! I assume you mean "fastfire" and not "surefire"? Which model and what is the dot size? I assume you used one of the provided plates? Did you have to use the (provided) slide racker?
Thanks, Peter.

Yes fastfire

I have no idea of the model or the moa dot - think it is 3.

This was more just playing around with something new.

I like it a lot - the idea of a red dot on a pistol.

I am terrible with a pistol and this is a major step up for my shooting.

Need to get higher end optics and swap into red dot ready guns.

I enjoyed shooting the red dot - something I never say about handgun shooting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike! I have several revolvers with red dot sights by which I mean the old "tube type" sights like Tasco and Ultra Dot. These have been on my S&W 686, and my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh for example. I also have a couple of pistols (race guns) with, again, the old tube type red dots, but the sight was monunted on the frame and not the slide. The idea of a reflex sight mounted on the slide itself, is new to me, but I thought I would try it on my Canik.
I have only positive things to say about shooting a red dot equipped gun. From a rest, it brings out the full accuracy potential of the gun. For speed shooting in a pistol, from a holster, ONCE YOU GET USED TO ACQUIRING THE DOT, they are very fast.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Thanks Mike! I have several revolvers with red dot sights by which I mean the old "tube type" sights like Tasco and Ultra Dot. These have been on my S&W 686, and my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh for example. I also have a couple of pistols (race guns) with, again, the old tube type red dots, but the sight was monunted on the frame and not the slide. The idea of a reflex sight mounted on the slide itself, is new to me, but I thought I would try it on my Canik.
I have only positive things to say about shooting a red dot equipped gun. From a rest, it brings out the full accuracy potential of the gun. For speed shooting in a pistol, from a holster, ONCE YOU GET USED TO ACQUIRING THE DOT, they are very fast.
Peter.

I suck at shooting handguns. This will be fun as 9mm rounds are cheap.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suck at shooting handguns. This will be fun as 9mm rounds are cheap.

A weekend of your time and some cash I can take care of that problem for you.

I have improved the hand gunning skills of many.

Certified firearms instructor with decades of experience.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toying with the idea of getting a Burris Fastfire but it seems to have had mixed reviews. How is yours working, Mike?
Peter