New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a Colt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can't find any reference to this strange looking revolver. Does anyone know what it is?

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/5...047/pix911626680.jpg

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something highly modified.

Looks a officers match barrel was added do they less caliber ect.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seller thinks it is a 38 Colt. He obviously has no idea what he has. He also has a similar one in 22 LR. He seems to think they are worth $2,000. I think they are either highly modified as you said or some of the European clones that even copied the Colt logo. Here's the listing:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=541021047

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, the seller says they are stainless steel. As far as I know there were no stainless Colt SAA's. They could be nickel but they do look like stainless.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They could be nickel but they do look like stainless.

Or polished carbon steel

Don't think they are factory colt.

It would be a interesting pair to look at in person my guess is that they were custom made for some one.

The workman ship looks good

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Colt SAA frame, Ruger hammer and a Official police barrel with a modified sight and ejector housing.

May have cost $2000 (or more) to make.

I wouldn't pay that for it.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it has the horse, it is a Colt frame; no one can copy their trademark. It is a custom revolver; not a nice one.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a custom revolver; not a nice one

When its custom nice is in the eyes of the owner.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Easy enough.. if your really interested, tell the seller you will consider his price as long as it is accompanied by a "Colt Letter".

that will either confirm that it is something special, or if not, it will end up on a table at some gunshow waiting for a sucker.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an interesting piece. I would find it hard to buy if there is no documentation from Colt. Too many odd things going on there.

I wonder, could it be a USFA SAA Target clone? The sights look Ruger, and they made them in stainless.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
If it has the horse, it is a Colt frame; no one can copy their trademark.
Simply not true. A trademark CAN be copied, and sometimes is. That is exactly why it is illegal.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's not a USFA for sure.
they would never ever put a colt mark on one of their pistols.
it looks in the white or stainless.
I'm thinking target model with a barrel and grip 'upgrade'.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did Alonzo Kroll (?) have a hand in this ???

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote