Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Police trade ins??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Why are most of the Glock Police trade ins on the market seem to be 40 S&W's? Were there that much more 40's than 9's or do the 9's not make it to the places like CDNN?

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because for over two decades most department carried Glock 40's.

We are seeing a slight shift back towards 9's

But the use of the 40S@W is strong.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if that was the reason.

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Glock had an excellent marketing strategy. knowing that the mag. cap restictions were going to go in force their sales reps callen on all the P.D. that they could + offered a trade in of of old for new pistols.Of course all the cops jumped on this because not only not making enough money to live on ,they got a NEW piece.Meanwhile Glock's merchandising dept. was selling these "Police trade ins"for a sizeable profit.Their logo was,What the police choose to carry,etc.It increased civilian sales ten fold.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glock has a very good trade in policy for police departments for sure.

They also make a very good pistol.

The combination of both resulted in a large number of police officers using Glock.

I have carried 38spl 9mm 357 40 and 45 caliber handguns as a working LEO.

I felt fine about all of them.

I came to prefer higher capacity auto's 9's and 40's loaded with the best modern hollows they all work.

The requirement that matters most is they go bang every time you pull the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Glock had an excellent marketing strategy. knowing that the mag. cap restictions were going to go in force their sales reps callen on all the P.D. that they could + offered a trade in of of old for new pistols.Of course all the cops jumped on this because not only not making enough money to live on ,they got a NEW piece.Meanwhile Glock's merchandising dept. was selling these "Police trade ins"for a sizeable profit.Their logo was,What the police choose to carry,etc.It increased civilian sales ten fold.

It costs Glock less than $60 to build a handgun.

They made a lot of money reselling used guns they took in as a trade.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have a G22 that I carried on the Sheriffs Dept back home and it shoots very good and am thinking about picking up a G17 in 9mm to play with and every time I check what is available it seems like somewhere around 65% to 70% of Glock Police trade ins are 40 S&W.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hindsight being 20/20 back in the late 70s/early 80s at the Austin Gun Show,the Austin P.D. had several tables set up to sell aff their S+W revolvers as they were going to the semi auto. ALL of their revolvers were going for $150.00 ea.I should have bought up a pot full but of course I did'nt. Also when in Austin in 1972,APD was selling off all their 1945 Harley trikes (w/the job box in the back) for,if memory serves,$175.00 ea. Of course I could not come up with any money.These are lessons well learned + as I told my son when he went in the army that there is a reason why pawn shops are all around a post.These kids don't know how to handle their money. YOU NEED TO! If you keep your finances well in the black (i.e.-direct deposit your combat pay + at least 75% of your pay here at our bank where I know everyone + can watch it 1st hand)[I mean really,where are you gonna spend it in the desert?] you will be the guy who can buy up great deals instead of the pawn shops.Worked too;sometimes they listen.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course I could not come up with any money

Or the barrels full of 03-A3 and 98's for 30 or less dollars each.

Not having money when one is young is a common problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot,I have that problem still.Although when I had my FFL under Reagen's admin.when the soviets went belly up, I was bringing in new Mausers (still in the cosmoline) for $150.00 + matching ser.# Lugers for $300.00. Of course I sold them all;made a good profit as well.No point in wishing I had bought more;just like saying you don't have enough time for something. Don't gripe,you already have all there is.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a number of 9mm S&W police trade in pistols several years ago but I'm thinking they were from the start of the 'wonder nines' that the police started using. I guess the abundance of 40's showing up the last few years are from the time when police depts. had switched to the new and amazing 40 S&W's.
Don't get me wrong I like the 40's, I have a few myself.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when revolvers were the norm for LEO's, (mid 50's)Bill Jordan came up with the idea (along with Elmer)of the 41 mag. An excellent idea but he invisioned on a K frame instead of the N frame.Well we all know that did'nt happen but I still think he had the right idea.Of course the model 28 "Highway Patrolman" in 357 was on the N frame as well as the 27 so weight should have not been an issue, but the basic take down power of the 41 over the 357 was far superior. Anyway we know it never took off but still a great calibre.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Just picked up two G17 LEO trade ins. Looks like I'll have things to play with for a while.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in the day when revolvers were the norm for LEO's, (mid 50's)Bill Jordan came up with the idea (along with Elmer)of the 41 mag. An excellent idea but he invisioned on a K frame instead of the N frame.Well we all know that did'nt happen but I still think he had the right idea.Of course the model 28 "Highway Patrolman" in 357 was on the N frame as well as the 27 so weight should have not been an issue, but the basic take down power of the 41 over the 357 was far superior. Anyway we know it never took off but still a great calibre.

I'd disagree. Having owned and used S & W wheelguns is .357, .41 and .44 what killed the .41 Magnum dead as a dodo was that they were a pain in the arso to reload from a speedloader.

Any 357 Magnum K Frame or N Frame loaded in quicktime from a speedloader (there was no L Frame back then but that still loads in quicktime anyway) and the .44 N Frame loaded in quicktime IF your reload was with .44 Special length cartridges.

The .41 Magnum just didn't reload well at all from a speedloader as the problem was the overall length of the cartridge.

Jordan and the like would have been better if they'd designed the .41 as an updated version of the old .41 Colt using BOTH an inside lubricated bullet instead of the Colt's heel base design AND a "Special" length cartridge case.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might be right for some. I personally never had a problem with speed loaders in my model 57.The same with my model 29.The speed loaders used on my model 19 go smooth but I have no issue with the larger calibres.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Picked up two G17's (LEO trade ins)last week, one doesn't looked like it was carried and shot very very little, the other one wasn't carried or shot much more than the first one either. Both shoot pretty good. I'm happy. The Gen 3 has went in my Micro Roni and it is a ball to shoot. Hits on my 6 inch gong at 100 yds are almost 100%.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran