New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Profile Slide Stop
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a slide stop to put on my Kimber 1911 TC II HD. The OEM stop has an larger pad that I bump with my support thumb, causing the slide to lock when it shouldn't. I need a slide stop with a narrower profile.

I see a number of choices at Brownells and MidwayUSA and wondered what others have done.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, my right thumb (I am right handed) rests on that! The conventional wisdom (and I am not an expert) says that the gun is drawn with the right hand and the left (support hand) "fits" under it, ensuring as much contact between grip surface and the two hands as possible. 70% of the gripping comes from the "support hand" with the right hand basically ensuring a good trigger pull. In modern times, the "canting" of the left wrist in a downward direction is also emphasized. I am sure that there are photographs available of the "correct" grip and I do not claim to be an expert. I actually have an extended slide release on my IPSC guns. Try this link:
http://bulletin.accurateshoote...s-from-todd-jarrett/

Sounds like you may not have a fully "thumbs forward" position.

I am sure someone will correct me.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My right thumb (pointing forward) rests on top of the safety. My left thumb (pointing forward) lightly contacts the flat part of the slide stop. On my old Springfield 1911, this works very well. On my new Kimber, however, the "pad" on the slide stop is so wide that it jabs into the side of my thumb; so the pressure from the thumb sometimes pushes the stop up into slide lock. Which is why I'm going for another slide lock.

sputster

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Dremel tool & cold blue

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes !! That has cured many a problem. The Dremel is often misused but this is a good use ! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is interesting how the same gun is handled differently by different people. I have a Kimber Target Match in 45 acp but I shoot that off hand so there is no issue. However, I also have a Kimber Pro Carry HDII in 38 Super that I use for IPSC type shooting and I have had no issues with it operationally. I can't help the OP I am afraid.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Joe for the suggestion. I got a Wilson slide stop - which already had a less obtrusive profile - and used a Dremel to reduce and smooth where my thumb would contact it. Might have to redo the bluing job, but it's functional. Much better for me than the OEM piece.

sputster

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Maybe a slide stop from an old Kongsberg Colt???

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote