New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Thumb Safety
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been shooting a new Kimber Tactical Custom II - accurate and works well for me. My only complaint is the thumb safety. I have been shooting "thumbs high" for a few years now and I notice that even though the Kimber safety has some beveling on it, it's not enough and the safety gouges the base of my thumb.

A few years ago I did have a local gunsmith smooth the surfaces of the safety on my old Springfield 1911-A1 to prevent the same problem.

Is there a factory/aftermarket safety I can get that is well smoothed on the back...or will I end up having the smith work on this one too?

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
File

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to be facetious but you could try shooting "thumbs down". The top shooters are doing this, especially with the left hand as, keeping the wrist "cocked" downward helps reduce muzzle flip.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 1911 both ways and thumbs high works better for me these days. But I appreciate the advice.

Think I'll talk to the smith; he did a smoothing job on the safety of my old Springfield 1911-A1, and it is very comfortable to shoot.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote