posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm hoping this works out too.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently a done deal...

https://abcnews.go.com/Interna...t=link&ICID=ref_fark

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9401 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, CZ has always been a successful company that makes a quality product; hopefully, they can do good things with Colt.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
way over paid. colt would have sold for 1/2 price a year ago. my buddy was bidding for it.

they stepped back due to covid.

well done to the distressed investor who owned it thru bankruptcy.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda funny, right? That in the 1830s a young man named Sam had an idea + a wooden prototype of a revolving pistol + here we are today.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capitalism in operation. Colt's quality began deteriorating decades ago, I had a Series 70 Government Model 1911-A1 .45 ACP. I sunk a ton of money in to that gun in effort to make it a shooter. I sold it and another Colt 1911. Not an ounce of remorse. I never trusted either.

All of my 1911-A1s were created by Springfield Armory's craftsmen. They're as close to 100% reliable as any mechanical device can get.. I've never experienced a problem with any. My TRP is a factory produced version of a custom made 1911-A1. It has never, ever failed to do a darn thing other than place accurate rounds on paper. It's my only wilderness handgun, and that includes griz country.

My dad had a Gold Cup. It was one accurate target handgun. My TRP is more accurate.

A Springfield Armory insider told me that SA did not consider Colt its competition.

I wish Springfield Armory had bought Colt.

There are many manufacturers of highest quality 1911-A1s. A shooter could spend many thousands more than the cost of a Springfield Armory TRP, but he'll not be buying a better gun. And all Springfield Armory 1911-A1s are made in the USA by American craftsmen. All SA 1911-A1s are made of forged steel.

Colt screwed up by compromising quality hoping its name would persuade purchasers. Its name fooled me twice. I hope to God that SA never compromises is stellar quality.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I agree about Springfield. They make great 1911s I have a Springfield V16 LongSlide in 45 Super (woods gun) and a Springfield Professional (carry gun). Love them both

V16

Pro (the day it arrived barely used)

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EMP3, I have to agree that the 'Gold Cup' was highly;y overrated. I have owned several 70 series + I can't find any superiority over a out of the box 70 series; maybe just my luck of the draw. I had one built at Gunsite when the Col. was still alive but lost it in the divorce. Have a Les Baer that I love but won't carry as if used I'll never get it back but my Kimber I might. The Spingfield is a very fine piece.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I have an early Kimber Elite from maybe 20+ years ago. It’s a great gun. Have another Kimber Custom TLE/RL II in 10mm that I goofed around with banging steel at 100 yards with no problem.

I just came into an STI Lawman 4.0 commander size and can’t wait to see what it does.

I did have some Colts when I was younger and got out of them. The worst was an Officer’s model. I did have a Clark custom that I traded for a Springfield. I still wish I had either of them today.

My father has a M-45 A1 Colt. I picked it up and shakes it a bit and it was looser than professional in a border town. Colt has been BK so many times in the past 30 years it’s ridiculous.

I did watch one show about Springfield and was surprised that they were not the same manufacturer that we’ve heard of making muzzleloaders a centuries ago. They started making M1-A1s in San Antonio and then moved to Illinois. Les Baer was actually on of their 1911 smiths. If I could find the show again, I’d share it, but an interesting show indeed.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STIs plant is 30 minutes from me. LaEue tactical is 15 minutes away. I like the neighborhood. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
STIs plant is 30 minutes from me. LaEue tactical is 15 minutes away. I like the neighborhood. Smiler

That’s a good place to be. I dated a girl that was related to LaRue a couple years ago and it’s unfortunate it didn’t work out...I mean for the gun possibilities, not the girl!

That also makes me wonder as a proud Texan, do any other manufacturers stamp or use the outline of their state in their logo or on their guns? I can’t really see the use of a Colorado (I think manufacturers left there anyway if they had any outside magpul), Kansas, Nebraska, The Dakotas, etc. being too exciting... sofa

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus, there is no other state whose profile is so instantly recognizable as Texas. Also years ago when I was in Europe + they asked you where you were from + you said Texas you were much more welcomed than if you said America. Even the Europeans recognize Texas as an individual + independent nation.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That’s exactly how I respond abroad, also.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next question was invariable, "How big is your ranch?" as if every one in Texas has one, but that is the persona so I feel free to embellish the truth slightly;+ as they say, when in Rome, shoot off Roman candles!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How big is your ranch?"

A Iowa farmer and Texas rancher were bragging about their land.

The Texas Rancher said it takes me 3 days to drive across mine.

The Iowa farmer replied.

I used to own a truck like that.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing That being said, in the mid 70s I was up in Springfield Missouri + they had the notion that they would not sell beer on Sunday but in Kansas they would after noon. I told the boys, just give me your money + I'll make the run. But that's 50 miles!!! they would say. Hey, in Texas, 50 miles is nothing; we'll go further than that for a six pack + a can of snuff, OH + yes groceries. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hearing the from industry grapevine that cz bond deal to finance the colt acquisition has failed to gather debt investor backing.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like cz managed to get financing and closed the deal.

I think it is a positive for consumers.

The quality of cz us owned and us manufactured dan Wesson’s is very good.

Cz sells to consumers in us so it will refocus colt to consumer market.

$570 mil. Sales pro forma and 2000 employees. $270k revenue per employee. Damn making guns is labor intensive.

Mike