Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Anyone have these?

Whats the consensus?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Picked mine up (barely) used at an estate sale. Good fit and finish, good trigger, no FTFs, hits where I point it. Was it Thunderbird wine that "gets the job done"? Same here...

It's currently my go-to rig for riding around the ranch.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mine will arrive next week although I got to shoot one today. I am very impressed with the pistol. It has all the mods that you would normally do to a stock 1911 already done. Beavertail grip safety, extended safety, checkered front grip & checkered back strap, guide rod. An excellent trigger out of the box also. Very accurate. The only addition that I will need to add is an extended slide release.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Mr. Humbarger,

I hope you'll be as pleased with yours as I am with mine. I've heard the odd horror story about these, but the good reports seem to far outweigh the bad.

Considered an extended release but talked myself out of it. Time will tell if I change my mind.

Best of luck with yours...this month sees us moving back to Texas, so I'll honk good and loud as we go thru Jennings. If you see some folks that look like the Beverly Hillbillies driving west with all their gear lashed to the truck, it might be us!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're running race guns, the hand that stabs the magazine home always releases the slide. They cause problems as often as they solve them when extended. Might give this a gander as it explains it as well as anybody that's ever shot a LOT of 1911s and saves me typing.

As to the PT1911, I thought about one for pricing like I used to fix up Norincos but I keep finding deals on Kimber Customs at gun shows.

Welcome back to Texas when ya get here.

I'll be that cranky bastard out west so you probably won't get to honk at me.

Happy Shooting and may the Pablo that built your gun that day have been in good spirits.

It's a 1911 so if something's unhappy about it the manufacturer won't fix, I'm sure you can find parts to make yourself happy.

jumping

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you see some folks that look like the Beverly Hillbillies driving west with all their gear lashed to the truck, it might be us!

LOL

I live about 1/2 mile south of I-10 so I could actually see you as you go by! Good luck.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats a very good thread PM. I like these quote the best.

Please, get yourself "Trained" to "Slingshot" the slide instead of using the "Slide Stop". All of the inertia, mass and momentum of the slide and recoil spring are the only way to reliably and positively strip a round off of a full magazine and get the pistol fully and properly into battery.

They call the "Magazine Release" button a "Release" for a reason, just like the "Slide Stop" is not named "Slide Release". No serious defensive handgunner should ever use it, period.

I might reconsider.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Please, get yourself "Trained" to "Slingshot" the slide instead of using the "Slide Stop". All of the inertia, mass and momentum of the slide and recoil spring are the only way to reliably and positively strip a round off of a full magazine and get the pistol fully and properly into battery.

They call the "Magazine Release" button a "Release" for a reason, just like the "Slide Stop" is not named "Slide Release". No serious defensive handgunner should ever use it, period.

When I was shooting Bullseye, I was told the same thing by one or two top shooters. A preferred method of slide release. Wink

PLease report on the Taurus. coffee

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sure do and I love mine!

Happiness is a shredded target and a huge pile of empty brass!

Posts: 1 | Location: Northeast Kansas | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Very satisfied with mine. No FTF and very good out-of-box accuracy.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Similar too my Griffon Combat Commando .45 cal . With out the AimShot sight of course .

The slide is ported on this model .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
i have had mine for a year and love it has never jammed feels great hits where pointed

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a stainless PT1911 for three months. It has functioned flawlessly. A friend also has one and his experience has been similiar to mine.

As far as the slide release, I'm left handed and just use my trigger finger to disengage it. Slide goes home every time. If you "slingshot" a 1911 be sure you let go and don't ride it.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
personaly cant stand tarus product but my buddy has one of these. He also has 6 other 1911s to comapare it too and he likes his. Says it never misses a beat and is very accurate. I guess you cant ask more then that out of a 1911

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Well I have just over 1000 rounds through the Taurus & not one hicup. It has been run on a mixture of hard ball, handloaded LSWC & everything in between. It is very accurate & the trigger is very good too. I am very pleased
I wished that Taurus made a Combat Commander version as well. My next project will be to build a commander useing a Caspian slide & frame.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 1911 and have never had any problems with it... that being said, I got a "rookie question" for yall, what is the "FTF" and "slingshot" yall are taking about?

Thanks,
Ben

----------------------------

Posts: 124 | Location: Waukeenah, Fl | Registered: 22 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whitebc, FTF=Failure to feed and "slingshot" is the process of taking the slide all the way back and letting it go to load a round rather than simply pushing down the slide stop.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb
Preciate it Larry

----------------------------

Posts: 124 | Location: Waukeenah, Fl | Registered: 22 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can the barrell be replaced with any
standard aftermarket 1911 barrell?
Such as a Bar-Sto or Kart?
Will the slide and frame accept a
heavy match style barrell?

Gigem'
DC

God Bless Texas A&M

Posts: 480 | Location: E. TX | Registered: 07 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the knowledge to answer the above question?

Gigem'
DC

God Bless Texas A&M

Posts: 480 | Location: E. TX | Registered: 07 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Replacing the barrel can be done. However as in most 1911 barrel replacements it will require some "fitting" as most replacements are made "Large" for that purpose.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
BTW,
Ordered my Taurus, yesterday.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot one around 30 to 40 rounds, and its owner fired around 50 rounds.

We used several different brands of magazines.
No problems, the pistol shot pretty good.

It has a lot of features for the price.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one for concealed carry,I love It however my heine sights are off and I cannot get through to Taurus to ask for remedy. Rather frustrating but still a nice gun.